Season 2018 - Hawthorn

It’s possible.
Big call to only take one kid from the National Draft, though.

Not sure I’m following you

They took Heeney, their two in the 30s (Hiscox and Rose), pased on pick 57, took pick 70 (another academy player), then passed on 79

In your scenario they still get Heeney, miss out on Hiscox and Rose, and probably take 57 and 70. Academy bidding magic points don’t touch late picks.

EDIT: none of this changes your actual point btw.

1 Like

How does that article not mention Mitchell? He’s out of contract at the end of next season too right?

Tom Mitchells been taken to hospital with a leg injury

2 Likes

Mitch Cleary reporting it as a broken leg

Hawks training report on big footy - reported leg injury first

First day back at training. Beautiful weather and Waverley in top condition

As always in pre-season it’s hard to spot blokes as they’re all wearing same gear and hats, but few of my assessments

Sam Mitchell still has it, could be playing for 14 other clubs. Very intense and vocal at training

Max Bailey seems a great teacher. Very instructional and direct with all the players, especially youngsters

McEvoy looks fantastic, great intensity in all drills

Who was the young, very tall kid? Not a listed player, referred to as Rhysy, was tallest of all the boys. Academy?

Hardwick in rehab running laps

Birchall in rehab doing very little

CJ is an amazing athlete and has all the tools. Lacks a bit of footy nous but when he develops that he could be special. Just seems to run himself into trouble too often

Wingard just elite talent. Class above most out there. Noticed the boys got around him a lot every time he did something good. Surely put on to help him settle in but Chad seemed to beam every time he got that good feedback.

Howe seemed to dominate a lot of the drills and coaches comments

Glass moving very well

First look at Scrimshaw and I loved everything I saw. Should start at BHH and challenged for a Senior game very early

Walker in rehab. Rehab group had about 5-6. Couldn’t seem them all

Worpel was in everything, wasn’t super clean all the time.

Mitch Lewis has put on some size. Nice to see

Morrison looming in ripping condition. Expect him to take it to the next level

Minchington gives 110%. Not sure what he’ll bring to the side but it will at least be heart and effort.

Pitto seemed very trim.

Of the other new guys, Greaves impressed me the most. Seems very hungry for this and loved his effort and intensity in drills

Most of the drills were 2 on 2 loose ball gets, and also defensive 50 ball movement.

I was only there for 90mins.

**First day back at training. Beautiful weather and Waverley in top condition

As always in pre-season it’s hard to spot blokes as they’re all wearing same gear and hats, but few of my assessments

Sam Mitchell still has it, could be playing for 14 other clubs. Very intense and vocal at training

Max Bailey seems a great teacher. Very instructional and direct with all the players, especially youngsters

McEvoy looks fantastic, great intensity in all drills

Who was the young, very tall kid? Not a listed player, referred to as Rhysy, was tallest of all the boys. Academy?

Hardwick in rehab running laps

Birchall in rehab doing very little

CJ is an amazing athlete and has all the tools. Lacks a bit of footy nous but when he develops that he could be special. Just seems to run himself into trouble too often

Wingard just elite talent. Class above most out there. Noticed the boys got around him a lot every time he did something good. Surely put on to help him settle in but Chad seemed to beam every time he got that good feedback.

Howe seemed to dominate a lot of the drills and coaches comments

Glass moving very well

First look at Scrimshaw and I loved everything I saw. Should start at BHH and challenged for a Senior game very early

Walker in rehab. Rehab group had about 5-6. Couldn’t seem them all

Worpel was in everything, wasn’t super clean all the time.

Mitch Lewis has put on some size. Nice to see

Morrison looming in ripping condition. Expect him to take it to the next level

Minchington gives 110%. Not sure what he’ll bring to the side but it will at least be heart and effort.

Pitto seemed very trim.

Of the other new guys, Greaves impressed me the most. Seems very hungry for this and loved his effort and intensity in drills

Most of the drills were 2 on 2 loose ball gets, and also defensive 50 ball movement.

I was only there for 90mins.

An ambulance arrived on field for a while and attention was given to an individual. No idea who or what happened. Others there can give that update

Hard to notice much else. Will give more later if I recall. Then just wait til the next session

Scully was also out there doing handball and kicking drills. He then did some high knee lift run-throughs.

then

Tom Mitchell is the one in the ambulance apparently with a suspected broken leg

Fark em

7 Likes

hawks fans are already talking about adding Sam Mitchell as a rookie to cover injured Tom.

1 Like

Are they joking?

Hope for Tom’s sake it’s not too bad but as for finding sympathy for hawks … nothing.

11 Likes

Yep. ■■■■ for Mitchell but FARK HAWTHORN! Mitchell got 6 votes from the 2 games against us in 2018. Without him the Hawks midfield isn’t much chop.

4 Likes

Just happened in a tackling drill. I definitely feel for the Hawks supporters. I just think if it happened to Merrett/Heppell/Shiel now. And he’s a lot more important to their setup than any of our individual players. Never want to see players of his standard go down for a long period of time.

3 Likes

Immense loss to them.

Broken legs the bad ones can be entire seasons done. And sometimes significantly affect careers.

Agree with the above sentiments, hope he will be ok but fark them.

I guess this is where a Mitch Grigg might get a call up in this early season option to get another rookie

1 Like

That’s good Scrimshaw.

I feel for them the least. Bunch of smug ■■■■■■. Will be good to see them taken down a couple of pegs. We will see just how good they are without him. I suspect not that good.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Lance was heavy on sarcastica.

The sooner those bandwagonners go back to ‘not really following Australian Rules’ the better.

4 Likes

Savage

Oh boy we should flog them this year

To miss top 8
Hawthorn - SUSP

Bugger.

Edit: Essendon’s equal fifth biggest odds, fwiw.

1 Like