Season 2019 - Collingwood

Was there a contract between them? eg. I will pay off your gambling debts,if you come to Collingwood.
Thats an advance payment. May or may not fit in the salary cap, then theres the issue of disclosure.

Incidently, $1.2M is pretax, so the cap space needed is about double that: $2.4 million.

So you guys would believe some ■■■■■■ afl meme page? Have you not learnt anything over the last 6+ years?

7 Likes

If this is true there would have undoubtedly have been a ‘verbal agreement’ between the two, but unfortunately I don’t know how that could ever be proven

The cap is what ? $15M now ? $2.4M is the pay of a Grundy plus a Pendlebury. or about 10-12 rookies.

I don’t believe it, I am extrapolating what it means to those concerned if it was true.

Usually extra payments outside the salary cap would involve post career payments, employment etc, agreed on a handshake.

That is very hard to prove. You can be sure, as long as night follows day that such agreements occur.

Would be awesome if it could be proven.

Someone with a checkbook needs to get to the bookie who was paid out. Simples.

Yep. Therein lies the problem.

I don’t ever see an alleged degenerate gambler or Fat Eddie admitting to any such deal, does anybody else?!

Eddie wouldn’t be that stupid.

I hate to say it but I think they’re an awesome team. So many options on the forward line. If true, this might impact Eddie and they could lose some draft picks, but we need a few knees to pop to slow them down in 2019. Wells was a small fish. I’m thinking more sideboob, phlipper, and the blond show pony aka joey’s bitcch.
I know it’s poor form on my part but I don’t like them when they’re good.

homie pleeeasssseee

this is getting swept under the rug faster than you can say AFL Integrity Officer.

of course, this is assuming that it is even remotely true.

Zero chance this is true. 1.2 million for a mid on the downward slope. If he was splashing money outside the cap, it isn’t on another midfielder.

2 Likes

If agreement made and then terms of Beams contract has him paying it back then I’m not sure if illegal.

Are inducements allowed or not?

Definitely not a good look regardless.

But if it’s a scenario where wealthy Pies business people be it Eddie or otherwise /club side $$ paid for it to align with part of his contract to come to them & he then took less on official player contract to thus help fit into salary cap then is a problem

Brown paper bag esque

Well I, for one, won’t believe a word of it until it turns up on Ricky Nixon’s feed. Toot toot!

Apart from anything else it honestly wouldn’t surprise me in the least. I’d be amazed if just about every first-tier professional sporting organisation in Australia (if not the world) wasn’t full of shady arrangements, backroom deals and monstrous under-the-carpet-sweeping exercises. The AwFuL has a whole team whose role it is to bury such things ferchrissakes.

Footballers and extreme betting is nothing new - it was an open secret in the late 90’s/early 00’s that just about the whole Melbourne team was in strife. IIRC, there was a similar story to this one as to how Travis Johnstone ended-up at Brisbane.

3 Likes

The pixelated group chat screenshot doesn’t persuade you it’s genuine information? Not just salicious internet bullshit?! Get out of here man.

3 Likes

Not to mention Eddie just giving away 1.2 million of his own money.

1 Like

Eddie not dumb enough to do this himself

1 Like

Agree that its not true. But I could also believe that Eddie would do something like this as a favour for a Pies player and not even consider it might be salary cap rorting. He has plenty of form of shooting from the hip without thinking first.

1 Like

Silly question…
What if Eddie McGuire ‘gifted’ money to Beams? Tax wise its not an issue but surely there would be salary cap implications.

1 Like