Season 2019 - Collingwood

was he picked to play AFLX?

1 Like

I thought that at first too!

But nope, he wasn’t. He’d already been on light duties for the last few weeks apparently.

Obviously he will need scans to confirm the extent of the damage but a little birdy tells me they’re expecting a 4-6 week recovery for De Goey. I guess the concern with him is going to be his limited preparation as he’s been doing modified training for some time now. Grundy is also on a light program with a toe injury and has been for a few weeks now. IF that’s turf toe, that can be a tricky recovery. Then there’s Jeremy Howe who has a problem with internal bleeding from a corked calf. There’s a few issues with injury already at Collingwood.

3 Likes

Injuries didnt stop them last year. They are my flag fancy this year. Unfortunately.

1 Like

DUI Goey is more important than the like of Wells, Elliott, Reid, or any of the other Pies players who missed extended time last year. FIGJAM Treloar possibly equal…

1 Like

Just imagine Reid, Moore, Howe and Goldsack play every game this year, for a total of 70 odd extra uninjured games, but De Gooey, Grundy and Pendlebury miss 40 games with injuries.

Significantly less of an injury crisis but I know which Collingwood I’d rather play against.

2 Likes

So Fat Ed was almost reduced to tears given the sacrifice Daniel Wells was willing to make. Apparently Wells is basically playing for base wage plus match payments this year - giving up the 3rd year of his lucrative agreement. Personally I don’t think it’s much of a personal sacrifice given he has taken the Pies for an absolute ride by only playing 14 games over the past two seasons.

2 Likes

And would be probably retired if he stayed at Nth

Does anyone really believe that there is no brown paper bag compensation involved?

5 Likes

How do you have 7 teams finishing bottom 4?

Ah, you understand then.

Drops just 50% of the difference in take home pay.

1 Like

It’s a rort. The initial contract price should be included in salary cap. Shouldn’t be able to keep squeezing in stars just because some existing players agree to a pay cut.

3 Likes

Just less money Wells can toss down the drain. No big deal.

We still need @Riolio Wells game counter thing.

Following the discussion and analysis of opposition lists across multiple team threads you’d be forgiven for thinking almost every other team in the comp is either completely overrated or going off a cliff, whilst any concession of quality or promise needs to be begrudgingly attributed to a dream run with injuries. :smile:

4 Likes

Who needs to be forgiven for believing the obvious?
The only time the opposition is actually a good team is just after we’ve beaten them at their home ground*.

*does not include FarkCarlton or Suns.

Very likely to finish top two. My tip is for the West Coast and Pies to play off again.
Here’s hoping I’m very wrong.

1 Like

I could just as easily see Richmond v Melbourne.
I fancy Collingwood over WC.
Actually, I think it’s reasonably open.
Not silly open, but not a boring foregone conclusion either.

3 Likes

It’s the last 6 weeks or so of their fixture that’ll be tough for them. If they’re not comfortably in the top 2 or 4 they’re in strife.
Rd 16 Vs Hawks
Rd 17 Vs Eagles (away)
Rd 18 Vs GWS (away)
Rd 19 Vs Richmond
Rd 20 Vs Gold Coast (home - only gimme)
Rd 21 Vs Melbourne
Rd 22 Vs Adelaide (away)
Rd 23 Vs Essendon

Pretty damn tough.

7 Likes

Collingwood have the hardest draw of all teams in 2019, followed by Hawthorn, North, West Coast, Melbourne and Essendon, according to CD. Its easy to make the mistake of thinking Pendles is the top mid he was, making the Collingwood midfield the best in 2019. But seriously at 31 , Pendles has gone off the boil. Like Pendlebury, Beams at 29, peaked in 2015 Sidearse is 28. I expect there will be a drop off starting this year. Collingwood to finish 5-6th.