Season 2019 - Collingwood

so We can offer coniglio 1 million a year for 3 years, get him under free agency, then he can play for base wage +match payments in year 3 and effectively only be worth $750k per year over the 3 years assuming 250k in 3rd year.

2 Likes

I wish we had mids that averaged 29 touches, 5.5 marks and a goal a game who are on the way out. He actually improved his output in 2018 over 17 and 16. Yeah he sure is on the decline.

FFS the amount of utter bullshit in this thread is scary.

I just hope most on here aren’t actually serious or detach their brains when they comment.

2 Likes

Maybe, just maybe a long term servant of the club may decide to take reduced payment to just help out or hope to see some success for the team before they retire. I can’t for a second buy that a guy, obviously in his last year at the club, having played only 14 games for them would now give up hundreds of thousands of dollars on the eve of retirement. There is no doubt in my mind Collingwood will be paying him his full contractual amount just not legally.

Remember when Mal Michael retired from Brissy & they had agreed to pay him 50K as some sort of ambassador role - that was delayed payment from his contract that should have been under the cap. I can’t remember if he officially got that payment but it went silent so I believe he would have.

As others have mentioned this is a Pandora’s box that can & obviously already is being exploited.

1 Like

People remember he had a poor finals series (by his standards) but forget or do not know that he was struggling with illness.

1 Like

Pevers Legend, AD-Don, so you really believe Pendles is not in decline ? He started from a high base at his peak, but it just not possible for tall midfielders to keep going forever, so he will make a contribution to their midfield, but it will be a reducing contribution.

Tom Brady is the exception, not the rule. Almost all mids are cooked by the time they are 32. Pendles is 31 this year.

Not utter bullsit. Sorry.

Pendles was great in 2018 and had a much better year then the one before.

In saying that I do expect Collingwood to slide this year.

Collingwood were good last year because of their hustle. Not cattle.

If they bring it again this year, they’ll be good again

2 Likes

Pendles is a gun and had a very strong 2018.

Don’t know how you can categorically say he will have a reduced contribution.

Players like Pendles have never needed to rely on physical gifts like others so 31 isn’t all that old.

2 Likes

The end comes rapidly. Just ask BJ

This is a good point. The Bulldogs could not bring their hustle 2 years in a row.
Lets not forget Collingwood were 13th with 9 wins in 2017, its not like they have been a long time top 4 side. They rose 10 places on the ladder by winning 6 more games. Snakes and ladders.

This is true, but they got more of the ball than any other team last year and I don’t see why that should suddenly stop. Hungry Hungry Hippos.

1 Like

Or Fletch?

Or Boomer?

It generally does happen but there is nothing to suggest its going to happen this season with Pendles. You are suggesting its a certainty.

Wim, At the end of 2017 would you have believed that Collingwood would have risen 10 places on the ladder?
Or that Adelaide would have dropped 12 places?
So what makes you think that the results of the previous year are always an indication of the following years performance ?
From 2017 to 2018 3 of the top 4 sides dropped out,

Yes its a certainty that Pendles is declining as a player, no doubt De Goey is improving. But I am predicting Collingwood will drop out of the top 4, down to about 6th. FWIW

They’re a reasonably flexible team, and probably moreso this year. Twister.

1 Like

Can you explain your reasoning behind this certainty that you speak of?

1 Like

Rapidly?

After 400 games you can’t say these things come suddenly.

1 Like

I disagree with your disagree! :smile:

I think they jumped Richmond who had been dominant all year at the MCG and got a little shocked. Then, when Richmond had opportunities to get back into it (and they did), they fluffed the finishing. Richmond also had the issues with Martin not being fully 100%. Cox who I do rate as a good role player had the best game of his career against what is usually a very tight tall defence.

Injuries aside, I expect Richmond to smash Collingwood this year whenever they play them.

Overall, I have Collingwood making the eight but not the top 4.

Pendlebury is an inside midfielder. He averages about 11 contested possessions a game, and about 5 clearances a game. When a player gets to 31 after a career playing that role, they suffer cumulative “wear and tear” their body gets hammered season after season, and by that time, they are running around playing touch footy in the pre-season and losing touch while everyone assumes they will just "pick it up where they left off in the previous season.
At about that age, speed and agility starts to decline, reduced situational awareness starts to creep in, younger players who were bluffed by the “great man” now start to hunt him. Where they perceive a weakness they target it.
So this year Pendles will still be getting to all the right positions, he will still get all the handball gives, but he will be targeted more. There will be HTB against him more often, they will dump him on his backside. Its not going to get any easier for Pendles, who really has done it all and no longer has anything to prove in footy.

If by any chance Pendles does play 400 games and is still “making time stand still” in the Collingwood midfield at the age of 40 like Boomer, I will gladly admit I was wrong. Only there have been many many players tread this path and footy is not any easier that it was. He is and will be in decline until he pulls the pin.

With close to 200 career Brownlow Votes, he will go down as one of the great players. That’s for sure.

1 Like

That’s just opinion though.

I thought you had some magical time machine.

1 Like