Season 2019 - Gold Coast

I think it’s pretty clear most of those guys had made up their minds before Dew arrived.
I think he made the right decisions with the types of players he brought into the list for 2019

1 Like

Nah, the Swans did very well out of the COLA over the years.

Yes, Brisbane and the Swans famously did well out of it.

Ah, forgot all about that even happening.

I was very much including the Swans & Lions as expansion clubs with the overall point being that I don’t believe the current admin help out GWS & GC as calculatedly as they did with the Swans & Lions. It very likely may still be coming with GC in particular if they continue to be a basket case but atm the academy picks is the only targeted measure & it could be argued most of the other changes to trading & the draft have worked against GC & GWS. The Lions COLA dissipated before the Swans which I believe is a significant reason why the Lions fell away while the Swans have remained at or near the top for more than a decade. Extra money in the cap is not a cure all but I believe its the biggest leg up the AFL have employed. Again draft picks & trading for gun players still has to work within the constraints on the salary cap.

1 Like

If you exclude the nine billion first round picks they each got, the pre-listed squad of 17 year olds they each got, and the under 17 mini draft, then sure. Neither of them got anything.

1 Like

@scotty21

2 Meter Peter!!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-23/rankine-and-his-special-gifts-make-case-for-r1-debut

Wright was also exceptional as the primary forward target in a match that was broken down into six 20-minute periods.

He kicked one goal and took a heap of marks around the ground, working over opponents with his top-end running ability.

Wowee.

2 Likes

Jarrod Lyons probably would have been handy to have for another year - why did they dump him?

From what’s been whispered, cos he was a ball hunter who was constitutionally incapable of playing to team rules, and as long as he was playing his stat sheet would look good but it’d be at the cost of the team as a whole.

5 Likes

A good indication to why somebody with such impressive numbers is already at his 3rd club at only 26.

1 Like

Went to the game yesterday. They were expecting 1000 people and got close to 4000 which isn’t big by Victorian standards but still not bad.

GC held Brisbane goaless until the 3rd quarter, I know it is only a practice match but you can only do what you can do. 2mp seems to have bulked up a bit, and GC seem to be more direct and playing as a team.

They were getting totally smashed at the bar, and lines were long, but by my next visit players both male and female were serving behind the bar and controling the line, so by my third visit the line was gone.

Seems like a happier place than when I attended 2 years ago for the same day. They probably won’t get too many wins, but perhaps will show a fighting brand of football that will keep the fans interested.

7 Likes

First of all the Suns need to stop the exodus of talent from their club. Over the past 2 years they have lost Ablett, O’Meara, Saad, Prestia, Lynch, May, Kolodjashnij, Hall, and I may have missed another couple there. That’s some serious talent to walk out the door, and most of them leaving for below average compensation. It’s not a traditional football market, maybe there isn’t a hell of a lot to do up there unless you like the beach, so they’ve got to build a culture that guys want to commit to. That will take time, but they can’t afford to lose any more talented kids from their list…

I wouldn’t be surprised if they improved this year.

Having players out there who want to be there will be a start. Spoke with Miles he was very happy and thankful for the support. He might have been pushed out of Richmond, but he seems like the type of bloke who will set a good example for the young blokes in both training and life.

Would have liked to see them get Goddard, but I suspect the move from Melbourne would have been too much.

3 Likes

Neither would I.
They’ve still got plenty of talent on their list.
They’ve also got ok depth… by that I mean they’ll have a lot of reasonable competition for spots between lots of youngsters who were reasonably high draft picks plus some retreads from other clubs. The good news with those retreads is that most of them are still 25ish or younger so they’ll most likely be desperate to do something and continue their careers.

Their big problem now is a lack of stars at the top of their list. But it seems that Dew is instilling a better work ethic in the list.
If they can hang onto the quality youngsters this time they might be going somewhere in a couple of years

They were fkn garbage last year, just lost their two captains who were major bookends, Lyons was probably their most consistantly mid, kolodjansi or however its spelt, and Aaron hall

I’d be amazed if they Improved.

1 Like

METER
PETER

Breakout season incoming

Yes he played well yesterday looks to have bulked up.

To be fair Lynch was out for a fair part of last season, and I reckon May was playing to keep himself from getting injured so he could be traded. A couple of decent triers would improve them.

1 Like