Season 2019 - Hawthorn

However, players collectively having a bad game is not a great indicator of how the team is travelling, is it? I agree they are a middling team overall, though

Roughie dropped.
Chances are retirement to be announced before the midseason rookie draft.
They need to recruit younger players at every opportunity.

Forget all that " great on field leader coaching players in the 2s" stuff.

Would the Bombers be so brutal with such a significant player?

Unfortunately not, that’s another reason Hawthorn have been so successful.

2 Likes

theres probably a better way to do it than turfing your champs to the curb though. our problem is that we just hold on to plodders & jobbers for too long thinking theyll come good.

1 Like

shrugs
Myers well.

It’s a ruthless industry and I applaud Clarko for his actions and the fact he has zero farks for past deeds of players. When a player reaches their expiry date, out they go

1 Like

Please.
They’ve got a 30yr old rookie who hasn’t played a game and a 28yo who’s been on their list for 3 years to play 11. Ceglar’s 28, been there 5 years for 65 games, Schoenmaker at 28 is much the same player he was at 21, Birchall’s 31 and hasnt played in literally 2 full years, Poppy is 30+ and showing signs, W Langford is 26 and a long way oht of their best side but still got a contract, Whitecross was doing rehab on their main list til he was about 28-29.

And you reckon they’re brutal on older guys?

As soon as I saw the headline.

Blitz is really going to run with Myers memes here.

This is the bloke that got belted at the Melbourne game isn’t it?

A sex doll for people with seriously low standards?

1 Like

I see your point but they moved on or retired Lewis, Mitchell & Hodge.

1 Like

Yeah yeah, Clarko this Clarko that…

Facts are, he tried to offload/retire Roughead last year and didn’t, most likely because of the fallout from members/supporters. Now, he’s being lauded for making the hard call… 6 months too late! Truth is, he didn’t follow through on what he wanted at the time and is now forced to make the call based on poor form… easier call but a tough one nonetheless.

1 Like

David Myers would be one one of Clarko’s first picked.

Yes, is a know trouble maker at the footy. accounts of him screaming in peoples ears, kicking peoples seats, smacking beers out of hands etc…

Roughy was contracted and refused to go

This very scenario likely put to him that would end up out of side playing VFL but he stayed.

Thankfully as it probably ensured they didn’t have as much cap space for those targeting.

1 Like

I thought it looked unprovoked when he knocked that beer out of the dudes hand. A punch in the head isn’t a really measured response though.

When did that change?

1 Like

Well I suppose guys back themselves, but eventually they kinda find out that maybe its a better call to retire gracefully. Is Roughie at that point yet? BJ never got to that point, maybe until he discovered 16 other clubs didn’t want him either and not even Carlton wanted a champion player in the “Hodge generalissimo” role .

Like Lloyd and Lucas?

Hodge and Lewis are still going, last I looked. Mitchell was handy for a year, then part of a coaching team that won the flag.

Cf Birchall and Langford aren’t still playing, but they are still being paid.

It’s intriguing that this is evidence of good decision making by Hawthorn?

1 Like