Season 2019 - Sydney

Thirteen… THIRTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

1 Like

H Grundy retired today due to a chronic back injury sustained in a pre-season game earlier in the year. 253 games after debuting in 2009. Was taking intercept marks before it was fashionable and if moved forward in the 3rd qtr of the 2016 GF, the result may have been different because he was the only Sydney player who was consistently taking contested marks that day. Very good player.

Good Norwood boy too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know at the time of being drafted not many thought he would get picked up and he was quite a low rookie pick. He was upset at the time that both Adelaide teams overlooked him multiple times

Very convenient these blokes are “retiring” just before the mid season draft

It’s the new dynamic. I’ve got no issues with the timing. Would have rather he was right to play because even though he didn’t look like a footballer, he was ace at it.

And it’s not often that good things come out of SA but Grundy was one of them.

Sinclair out for the season

Meh, they aren’t making finals so may as well send everyone in for surgery now and play their kids

2 Likes

Hard to see an incentive for Dees or swans to win.

No pressure on Goodwin or Roos at all.

Suns will win the spoon - pick 2 is gold

Carlton will fight for every win given crows have their first pick.

J McVeigh was a decent player.

2 Likes

He was better than that. Very very smart, classy player.

5 Likes

Illustrates how important timing is in sport. His skill set was perfectly suited to today’s game but had he debuted 10 years earlier, his type of player may not have been as appreciated. One of the all time great NSW raised footballers.

1 Like

Disagree.
He would have been a very good player in any era.
Fantastic career.

Fark Sydney.

1 Like

Definitely the better of the McVeigh brothers and a very very good player. Mark was pretty handy too.

He would have got a game in any era, but he’s a model ‘outside’ type. That style of player hasn’t always been appreciated.

They played with different styles for sure. Mark looked like he craved contact where Jarrad did his best work with a bit of space. Would have made for some interesting backyard contests.

1 Like

Agreed. Mark at his best was an in and under midfielder / primarily back pocket player with a low centre of gravity who could extract the ball with pinpoint foot disposal. Jarrad to me seemed more of an outside player with the same foot skills who probably hurt you more with his disposals.

Both excellent footballers.

1 Like

Reckon Sydney might be a quiet player in recruiting Ryder.

Would peeve GWS to no end after buddygate. But wouldnt surprise me.

Hes the sort of buy that would suit the Swans to a tea.

He’s 32 at the start of next season. Hardly worth it.

1 Like

They have Naismith, D.Cameron, Knoll and Sinclair as genuine ruck options, with Allir and Reid more than handy pinch hit options.

Really doubt they’ll have any interest in Ryder.

EDIT: Forgot that midseason draft bloke.

At least then he’d be halfway closer to his partners family in Brisbane …

2 Likes

I dont think the swans would shut the door on a short term contract for a top tap ruck.

Would help along their younger midfield to no end. Ryder also plays forward well and would go nicely alongside bud and reid.

Wouldnt surprise me. Also still think they might be in the hunt for Coniglio.