Season 2020 - Hawthorn

Brisbane are a 5-8 side this imo. They’ll win most of their home games but not many away. So if Hawks can’t win in Melbourne, when the Hawks will no doubt be very specifically targeting a win against Brisbane due to the recent history, then they’re not going far. Hawks will be up for this game big time. If they are and they still lose, either Brisbane are going to be very good or the Hawks are rubbish.

and I don’t underestimate Clarkson. They’d be bottom 4 without him

I couldn’t agree with this more.

But I hope Poppy, Burgoyne and Patton are playing every week. They’ll be really struggling if they need those guys. The only one with any hope of proving me wrong is Patton…if by some miracle he reaches his U18 potential, but he’s never looked like it imo and the knee injuries (is it 3 or 4 now), only make it harder for him

1 Like

Any prediction that requires that many players to improve is overly optimistic.

No one comes back from Mitchell’s injury at the same level, it killed Nathan Brown and took Fyfe two years.

Patton has always trained well but his body continually fails him. Wingard is going to have some brilliant games but also go missing someone plenty.

1 Like

We wait till round 1

I rate them see if I’m on the money

Worpel is a funny name.

2 Likes

They’ll win but it’ll be fool’s gold. Brisbane are terrible at the 'G. Their recent victories against Hawthorn were either at the Gabba or in Launceston.

Edit: My mistake - this post was directed @aboods

1 Like

I think Brisbane will win.

Do they?
4-5 there in 2019

Are you a closet Hawks fans…very optimistic view of them.

Mitchell wont be as good as his brownlow year. will probably miss a few games as they ease him through his comeback year.

Worpel wont get as much of a run there with Mitchell back. so expect if anything a bit of a drop off from him, but he had a great year last year.

Wingard and Sicily will be selfish footballers again. Wingard believed the Hype and thought he was better than he is.
Sicily is a good player when he doesnt lose his cool.

Don’t have any confidence in patton.

Burgoyne has lost some pace and will be eased through the season, probably do his hammy again chasing a speedy forward like Fantasia.
Smith, Gunston and BReust i give you…Poppy lol if they had anyone better they would have retired him…

1 Like

Yes it is optimistic. Here is a comparison of the declines of 2 great footy teams X axis is years after the last GF win, Y is the number of games won in the season.
In 2000 Sheedy was regarded as a genius of a coach. But his greatest team was a spent force 6 years after its last premiership.
In 2016 Clarkson was regarded as a genius, but 5 years after his greatest team won its last grand final, Clarksons reputation and legacy is on the line.

If both graphs track Hawthorn will win only 7 games this year.
OK, they may do better than that but a genius coach is only as good as the quality of his playing group.

LOL no I am an avid “ despise Hawthorn “ person. I’m only passing opinion as a spectator on my views.

Mitchell will play round 1…He played last week And did well before resting him.

I think Worpel will get a tag to be honest, he is a very damaging player. If he doesn’t he will do damage. Watch how he plays. Their B&F

Wingard will be better than his first year, also Sicily is coming into his prime expect a big year from him.

From all reports Patton has had a good preseason and kicked 4 goals last week positive signs. I think he’ll have an impact, especially helping poppy and Bruest.

I never underestimate Burgoyne, he continues to deliver. I still think he will perform this season.

Addition on Hartley will help their backline especially Frawley who will take a second string forward now.

As o said it’s just my opinion anything in a season can happen. I put them down for finals and even a top 4 spot if things go their way with injuries.

1 Like

post reported

5 Likes

Hartley named as a emergency for their preseason match with the saints.

Thursday, February 20

St Kilda v Hawthorn, RSEA Park, 7.10pm AEDT

ST KILDA

B: D.Howard 20 C.Wilkie 44 N.Coffield 1
HB: J.Carlisle 2 H.Clark 11 B.Long 21
C: J.Billings 15 S.Ross 6 B.Hill 8
HF: J.Sinclair 35 P.Ryder 18 D.Butler 16
F: T.Membrey© 28 J.Lonie 13 M.King 12
Foll: R.Marshall 19 J.Gresham 4 J.Steele 9
I/C: J.Marsh 43 R.Abbott 27 S.Savage 5 D.McKenzie 36 J.Battle 26 B.Paton 33 L.Dunstan 7 D.Kent 25

Emerg: J.Bytel 23 D.Joyce 39 R.Byrnes 31 D.Langlands 46

Squad: D.Howard, C.Wilkie, N.Coffield, J.Carlisle, H.Clark, B.Long, J.Billings, S.Ross, B.Hill, J.Sinclair, P.Ryder, D.Butler, T.Membrey, J.Lonie, M.King, R.Marshall, J.Gresham, J.Steele, J.Marsh, R.Abbott, S.Savage, D.McKenzie, B.Paton, J.Battle, L.Dunstan, D.Kent

HAWTHORN

B: B.Stratton© 24 J.Frawley 12 D.Greaves 44
HB: S.Frost 8 B.McEvoy 7 H.Morrison 1
C: I.Smith 16 L.Shiels 26 R.Henderson 31
HF: O.Hanrahan 41 M.Lewis 2 T.O’Brien 23
F: L.Breust 22 J.Patton 25 P.Puopolo 28
Foll: J.Ceglar 18 J.O’Meara 10 J.Worpel 5
I/C: C.Jiath 29 C.Wingard 20 M.Walker 33 T.Mitchell 3 J.Cousins 46 D.Minchington 38 B.Hardwick 15 T.Scully 21

Emerg: M.Hartley 27 C.Glass 13 C.Nash 11 H.Jones 40

Squad: B.Stratton, J.Frawley, D.Greaves, S.Frost, B.McEvoy, H.Morrison, I.Smith, L.Shiels, R.Henderson, O.Hanrahan, M.Lewis, T.O’Brien, L.Breust, J.Patton, P.Puopolo, J.Ceglar, J.O’Meara, J.Worpel, C.Jiath, C.Wingard, M.Walker, T.Mitchell, D.Minchington, J.Cousins, B.Hardwick, T.Scully

If the Essendon line starts in 2000, shouldn’t the hawthorn one start in 2015?

Edit: oh, it does, it’s just mislabelled.

McEvoy looks to have done a hammy in the first few minutes of the Marsh game.

Playing in defence?

Insert HartleyDancing.gif

2 Likes

Yep. Hartley, you’re up.

3 Likes

They’re not in a good way. Clarko trying to get away from the Hawthorn format.
Serious issues down back if they’re banking on Stratton, Frawley Frost and McEvoy. There is no drive from the back half. Poppy and Breust past it. Worpel has probably already peaked, Wingard warm and cold. Patton tried hard but he’s not the answer.
It’s a good thing whats happening at Glenferrie.
Nearer last than first.

2 Likes

Patton, played pretty good for a late fourth round pick.
but they dont have the weapons they once did, spent force.

Membrey Capitan, kicked 4 goals 138 DT points.
Billings and Marshall were good, Marshall kicked a couple of goals too.

I only watched the last quarter.
Good news for them re mitchell surviving the game.

Ceglar wasnt great in the ruck.

Better plan for Clarko would be Hartley in and McEvoy ruck.

1 Like

McEvoy as a makeshift backman wouldn’t fill a lot of fans with confidence they are on the right track.

Strap yourselves in everyone. This could get good…

5 Likes