Season 2020 - Melbourne

How many calves has he done? He pings them every time he runs.

1 Like

Yep!

not sure why they’re persisting with him

1 Like

Gotta feel for the bloke every time he’s gaining progress he breaks down with his calf

2 Likes

Low grade!

It may be low grade, but 2 games in 4 years due to calf strains. Sheesh. Its a real worry. However, they cut the scar tissue out of his calf muscles six months ago and he needs to be given a bit more time.
I can’t see him surviving beyond this year if he doesn’t get on the park this season.

I mean in 4 years you can forget how to play footy. He would probably never be the same anyway.

Because he’s free save for a list spot and a little bit of cap and he is exactly what they need if he can get it right (which he will not). Essentially they put a 5er on 1 at the roulette table at the end of the night.

1 Like

Cooked

I would actually like to see the Cat B Rookie List rules relaxed to allow for blokes like Bennell who have been registered in the previous three years but have played no or few games. Clubs could then hold onto them, get them through training and when a LTI occurs to a senior listed player, can upgrade them immediately. It would encourage more clubs to take a punt on a story like this.

I doubt he will ever get there again but he was a ripper player. I was down at Kardinia Park one afternoon in the Suns early years and he almost single handledly tore apart a very good Geelong outfit. It was like watching Michael Long Mark II.

4 Likes

When ‘good pick up’ means literally - ‘pick up’.

why would they need to relax the rookie B rules for this? He was a free hit under the current rookie A rules. Didn’t have to go through a draft or anything

1 Like

Because rookie A list players can be upgraded whenever, whereas B list can only be upgraded for an LTI. This means for example Melbourne could hold a Bennell for a couple of years without impacting on them bringing in traditional rookie and senior listed players. Essentially they aren’t using list spot 44 on an injured player and then can cut him more freely as well. It’s all hypothetical but I could see clubs looking over someone like Bennell because they actually want to take a punt on a state league player who is fit and ready to go.

Edit: forgot to mention too, Cat B rookies salary is not included in the cap, so higher profile players could be held onto for longer

I thought Rookie A wasn’t included in salary cap either.
Anyway, I don’t think it would really make any difference. There aren’t many around in a similar boat to Bennell

Yeah there arent many in this boat at all, but with the Supplementary list period ending soon, there’s a chance Bennell was rushed into getting to a good fitness level. Whereas if he was on a different list, they may have had more time to get his calf right. Either way, I feel sorry for Bennell as he really was a pleasure to watch.

Very good player when fit, a star. His calves are crippling him. He won’t make it back.

1 Like

Heh

7 Likes

Apparently Melbourne have left 9 players behind, to work with assistant coaches and improve.

Said they’ve picked players that will be focused on winning etc.

I am confused by this. Leave 9 players behind, picked players only focused on winning. by my count they would have only taken 2 away.

4 Likes

Schwartz ripping into Melbourne saying they have no backbone. You’d think he was a premiership hero talking about how good they used to be. They’ve been ■■■■ since the 60s and his entire career was a big part of that.

Watching The Oval Office

Showed clips of Melbourne just grabbing the ball and then bombing it long and high

Was sitting there thinking “Jesus we tend to bomb it too inside 50”

Really hope we don’t become like Melbourne