Season 2021 - Adelaide

he’s garbage

He is a work in progress, and much more work is required if he is to make it. Has decent skills, but doesn’t impact games anywhere near enough.

This is great from Tex

7 Likes

Very good of him

Think Tigers will bounce back against them few good ins

At 31, Walker having a very good year. Looks like he has had a psychological resurrection after some average years on and off the field.

They love a good sanction and fine in recent years, the Crows.

50k which all has to be included in their Football Department soft cap is certainly a sizable whack.

1 Like

Big whack
I’m away currently but spoke to my wife this morning and Crows members are filthy at the club and have flooded talkback. Possibly going to need to lay off or cut staff hours. Most likely some staffer on 30k a year will lose their job because a group of blokes on $300k plus a year can’t wear a mask for 2 hours

2 Likes

Has Tex bothered to apologise?

Their bf board is melting. Apparently every other club aren’t wearing masks and they have posted photos proving it. The only problem is none of those photos are taken on a plane.

1 Like

At airports though. Is can of worms for sure.

The law only requires them on the plane though doesn’t it? Legally (as opposed to ethically) you don’t have to wear a mask in the airport?

Nope. All public areas of airport.
Have seen numerous police patrols through the Qantas and Virgin lounges and they do regular daily sweeps handing out on the spot fines

That is a pretty big story IMO.

I thought at the time, looking at the vision, that he did not get hit in the head whatsoever either.

His body got smashed into next week, don’t get me wrong, but it didn’t look like a concussion.

Adelaide were pretty clear that they had nothing to suggest that it was a concussion and yet the AFL has stepped in by way of their doctors and said ah nah, you’re having a week off.

It smells a bit to me. It’s like the AFL decided they didn’t like how ballistic it LOOKED, so they’ve just come in over the top. It’s a precedent that doesn’t sit to well personally.

WHY DOEDEE CONCUSSION OVERRULING COULD CAUSE AN “UPROAR”

BY ANDREW SLEVISON 2 HOURS AGO

Adelaide defender Tom Doedee will not play in Sunday’s meeting with West Coast.

The Crows leader was subbed out of last Friday night’s loss to Essendon following a heavy clash with Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti.

It was first feared that Doedee had concussion, but the club insist they were worried about impact to his sternum and not his head at all.

“He wasn’t actually concussed,” Crows assistant Scott Burns said on SEN SA Breakfast earlier on Friday.

“We didn’t take him out of the game because of concussion, but I think the AFL docs now can overrule or have their say.

“They were confident enough that there were concussion symptoms and they wanted him to have this week off.

“I thought he hurt his sternum near his spine, I think that was the major reason that he was battling.

“They can (overrule) and I think they have before. This isn’t a one off, this has happened before with other players and other clubs as well.”

Doedee was preparing to play against the Eagles at the Adelaide Oval this weekend, but has since been deemed ineligible due to the AFL’s concussion protocols.

The situation sparked comments from Kane Cornes who wonders what would happen in a similar instance before a big final.

“He ran back so recklessly and was hit in the chest and was subbed out of the game,” he said on SEN’s The Captain’s Run .

“Adelaide didn’t need to do a concussion test or protocols, he wasn’t subbed out for concussion. Their belief was that he was right to play (this weekend) and there were no head-related issues.

“The AFL has since come along and said, ‘No, hang on, we’re overruling your club doctors who didn’t diagnose him with concussion, didn’t sub him out with concussion. We’re overruling you and we’re forcing him into the 12 days’ concussion protocol through our doctors’.

“This is the biggest can of worms in relation to concussion that I think we’ve seen this year.

“It doesn’t really matter because the Crows are 16th on the ladder and Tom Doedee missing this game against West Coast doens’t really matter.

“What happens if that is a prelim final? What happens if that is Patrick Dangerfield in a prelim final, he’s subbed out with another issue, he’s all good to go from a club point of view for the Grand Final the following week and the AFL come in and say, 'No, no, no, he’s out with concussion’.

“Can you imagine the uproar that would happen with that. It’s a really fascinating one.

“I suspect we’ll hear more from it. Hopefully it’s not in a massive game later on in the year where the AFL come over the top of club doctors, who are employed for a reason and would never put a player at risk.

“‘The club says he’s ok but we’re coming through and overruling it, you’re out and you can’t play in the Grand Final’.

“That would be a big story.”

Adelaide has already faced this exact issue in the AFLW season, with co-captain Chelsea Randall missing due to the AFL’s concussion protocols.

1 Like

What I take from this is that the baseline tests of people from Adelaide are hard to distinguish from concussion symptoms.

2 Likes

It’s why I’d prefer there to be a bye week before the Grand Final rather than the first round of finals.

You could fill it with an interstate clash…or something except AFLX.

Yeah nah. She got concussed into next year with that hit.

Yeah, agree. Kane talking bollocks there. They were definitely different.

This Doedee situation is one where he didn’t appear to even suffer a head knock and the Adelaide Doctors don’t believe he exhibited signs of concussion. Ridiculous that the AFL have stepped in IMO. Optics is what’s most important I guess.

3 Likes

How about International AFLX?

This would be my team (some liberties have been taken):

The Players: Peter German, Ben Holland, Heath Scotland, Andrew Ireland, Barnaby French, Andrew Welsh, Tim English and Ray Finn.

The Coach : Wayne Brittain

The Reserves : “Turkey” Tom Carroll, Austin"Aussie" Jones, Mark “Russian” Jamar, Kevin “Hungary” Bartlett and Charlie Cameroon.

8 Likes

There doesn’t necessarily need to be head contact for there to be concussion. I know of someone who played in a metal band, and he had to give it up, because the constant head-banging (which didn’t involve his head actually making contact with anything) rattled his brain around inside his skull enough to cause concussion.

That said, I would have expected the AFL to trust the club doctors on the day, and only give\force a revised diagnosis after there were more interim tests done on the player, as opposed to just reviewing game-day footage and basing their decision on that.

I wonder what would happen if a player with a history of concussion was subbed out with non-concussion in a similar incident to Doedee. Given the player’s history, would interim tests indicate evidence of concussion that couldn’t be pinned to the incident that led to the substitution? Does the AFL force 12 days off as a precaution because the player was subbed out and there’s evidence of concussion, or do they say that the evidence of concussion is probably from a previous incident, trust the game-day diagnosis, and allow the player to be available for selection?

Did Adelaide give him a concussion test at all after the incident?