Season 2021 - St Kilda

Chortled.

1 Like

Credit to him, acknowledging Essendon has some class.

22 Likes

I’ve never really had a problem with Carlisle. I mean, he’s an idiot. No-one should say what he did on field, but he’s an idiot. I totally understand someone wanting to leave when he did. He was willing to consider Hawthorn to get us a better deal.

I do think with a different head on his shoulders he could have achieved a lot more.

6 Likes

Damn it. Was just giggling to myself about him having to play forward.

they are potentially in for a world of hurt cos of last years drafting ■■■■ ups.

They thought they were close and drafted a whole bunch of seasoned players as a makeshift depth shortcut, to then find out when push comes to shove when too much depth is called upon, it’s simply not going to cover the quality that’s out.

I understand the logic behind mckernan as an example, but at the end of the day, this is why some of us say, having depth is pointless if you don’t have the quality in the starting 22 to begin with, cos he was doing exactly what he was there to do, and yet 3 weeks in of being required to be the main ruck, and he was dropped, and then some other weird new guy was in there tonight cos marshall pulled out of the game.

so now they prolly won’t make finals this year, and there’s probably a good 5 odd spots on the list they’ve wasted with guys like wood, frawley, mckernan etc that they aren’t going to get to blood young guys to go again next year.

Always seems to be the way, teams go all in after a good season (richmond 01, us all the time, hawks after 18 etc etc) and then end up flopping for whatever reason, when they should have just kept bringing in young talent without a ceiling.

King and Brown were savage in the post match review Brown was getting fired up at the lack of grunt and toughness from Saint lols

That Sounds familiar…

2 Likes

Saints fans have about 10 whipping boys to chose from this year.
Hill is probably the obvious one, since he is on about 900k.

1 Like

Saints are a modern day AFL success story. They sacked a dud coach, brought in a ripper coach, and some players from St Vinnies Op Shop. Coach got the absolute most possible out of them so they peaked, won a final and their fans, like tiger fans over a longer period experienced temporary delusions of eternal greatness.
Then they thudded back to earth to the reality that the AFL system is rigged so that mediocrity is the norm.

1 Like

They are the opposite of Port. Port built primarily through the draft and look sustainable

1 Like

The strange thing is that I’d have thought how the game is being played now would suit them , but an interesting comment from Dimma last night about how the contested ball is actually more important right now probably explains St Kilda’s problems.

Sometimes the explanations are simple - they are playing lazy footy. Last year they played exciting ‘fast break’ footy. This has morphed into cheats footy with players not working hard enough both ways.

They’ve brought in some duds sure - but Brad Hill is an a-grader who had 10 possessions and 0 tackles last night.

2 Likes

St Kilda negated every advantage of the new rules and played into Richmond’s hands.
Extended space for kick-outs? Chip it to the pocket.
Hooray? Now not only have you brought their defence up, but they can cover your switch kick to full back as well. You’re ■■■■■■. You have one option now, and that’s belt it as far as you can down the line.

They refused to run past when they had a mark or free kick (and gosh they got a lot of free kicks), so they didn’t bother the Richmond zone at all. Easiest night out they’ve ever had.

It’s either dumb coaching or lazy, timid footballers.

Edit: And man, did their backmen get sucked up the ground when the ball was contested in middle.
Not doing anything helpful, just dwelling around the area.
One turnover and a couple of handballs that hit their mark and they were exposed.
Richmond were okay, skills-wise, but it was hardly the precision game from them that it really should have been under those circumstances.

2 Likes

Sitting at 2-3 but before the bye they play Port away, cats away, Swans and Dogs.
Also have Suns up there so God only knows what they end up with at the bye. Might be 4-7 with a horrible percentage at that time.

Understand why they got Hill, but will never ever ever understand why on earth they got Hannerbry.

1 Like

Anyone could see how the Hannebury trade was going to go.
Everyone, except their list management team apparently.

Their centre square players are so leg slow.
The balance is out.
I guess they believed the acquisitions of Hill and Jones would alleviate the deficiency…it hasn’t.

Why is Ryder on leave? i’m presuming it’s important because he is needed desperately.

Losing Hind hasn’t helped them, he created a lot of run and carry for them.

1 Like

They didn’t actually play him in a position to exhibit his skill set.
Baffling, as they drafted him off solid VFL form for us as a creative running HBF.

5 Likes

Had to go visit his family in Brisbane but somehow ended up in Adelaide

13 Likes

Maybe he got caught again?