Season review so far

We are a mediocre team who plays slow, predictable, unattacking football.

A couple of very promising kids doesn’t change the fact that our performances have been pathetic this year.

tumblr_lrxy39f3Ww1qzr1lno1_.gif

Lets have a look at the season so far.

Round 1 we looked great, Hard to fault.

Round 2 again looked pretty good against the hawks ran them very close - defensively in the last 2 mins we let ourself down.

Carlton game - Was the last of the games we played where we looked damaging
Stkilda - HOW DID WE LOSE
Anzac day - Surrended a qtr time lead.
Positives
Hooker - has been a beast down back

Younger brigade - At times this year Merrett Gleeson have shown alot of promise
Ryder - consistancy is coming in

Smashing Carlton - Fark Carlton
Negatives
patches in games where we go a qtr with no goals
lack of plan B

I would rate it as shizen.
I would just love to see the side take some risks. Play on, use the corridor, be direct. We are playing into the oppositions hands with our chip-it-sideways approach. It gives them the luxury of pressing up hard, and the game is being played in our defensive half.

I gave them a 1.

Bitterly disappointing start and we’ll below what was expected and they are capable of.

The Carlisle/Hurley switch, the lack of defence in the midfield, the forward line a complete dogs breakfast, the coach being to stubborn to change anything, players looking as if they don’t want to be out there at all half the time.

4-5 is well below where I expected to be especially after the Carlton win and Hawthorn loss.

The fact that in some games the players just make under 12 decisions or put their heads down and give up after the opposition gets a run on is just poor and as a whole the season so far has been poor. Well below the standards and expectations of the playing group and coaching staff.

The lack of effort and care shown by some of the players in some games or patches of games have been poor and need to be improved dramatically.

A one is probably harsh but it has been very disappointing so far to date.

We would be a top 4 side if we played like we did in the 3rd qtr against the hawks - no chipping back and forth in def 50 - just up the guts - quick movement

I'm rating it with a glass half full. I don't buy into this that ASADA doesn't affect the players. Its your life, your reputation, your job, your future on the line. Everywhere you go you'd be asked the question, you can't read any media without seeing more articles or comments about it. You probably can't even watch a replay with commentary without hearing about it.

We did start reasonably well, but the players need to get some confidence back and play the way we are supposed to play. Take the right option, not the easy option. Trust in yourself that you can execute the pass just as you do when training.

It's not the best season and i'm not happy with the outcome but I feel i'm understanding enough to give them the opportunity to do what they can with their circumstances.

EFC media has been outstanding this season. You feel they genuinely want to engage with the fans again and the players seem to really appreciate the supports attention. After all we are 10% of the population who don't continually give them a hard time (well... maybe 9%).

Keep up the good fight EFC! I'll be here supporting you!

It’s a fail until dell debuts, I got your back peeto.

Pretty lame.

Great for the first 3 rounds, played like a bottom 4 side since with maybe 3 or 4 decent quarters. If it doesn't turn around it's entirely possible the year will end up 6-16 or 7-15.

I have decided to go lid-off and give us 7.

Why?

For years we’ve come out hard early and have faded when it counts. This year we have had a plan to rectify that, which has included training hard right up to the season.

We’ve got games into kids who will be vital depth as we get to the business end.

We’ve, with the exception of the St kinda game, at least got wins on the board when we had to get them.

We’ve dealt with injuries and got players back up to speed.

We’ve been absolutely shafted by the AFL, such that we’ve developed a whole new us against them mentality, starting mid game vs Sydney.

We’ve worked out what works and what doesn’t in attack.

We’ve been better defensively than we have for 15 years

I voted 7 based on how I see the season panning out based on the choices we’ve made so far.

It could have been better in that we could have beaten St kilda, and we could have finished off Hawthorn and Collingwood, however if we’d won those last 2 we may have got ahead of ourselves.

Our planning with respect to ruck and kp depth could have been better, but we’ve learnt, and also have realised that one of Joe and Jake will possibly be the depth in the second half of the year.

ASADA could have been finished, and given the all clear.

We could have played a bit better.

All up there’s room for improvement, but this part of the year was all about setting us up for that improvement. As a lid offer I choose to see our first half of the year through that lens.

So a 7 setting us up for a 10 in the second half of the year.

The 'it's not going to be a gap year' pretty quickly has become a gap year.

Or is it the year we had to have.
We were never going to come out of the blocks given the saga uncertainty and fatigue. Were blooding plenty of youngsters. Our defensive side of our game has finally started to come together. Players albeit poorly are playing as a team rather than individual brilliance.
Depending in the saga, I think we will have a strong finish to the year.

Given the results of our first 3 weeks l would say we did come out of the blocks hard.

Actually this is the least interested I have ever been in footy.

Shithouse.

Our run and play on at all times has been shut down.

mark ...... look sideways ..... kick....mark .... look sideways ..... kick ...... mark again ... look sideways .... kick.....no options....bang it long ... turnover

mark ...... look sideways ..... kick....mark .... look sideways ..... kick ...... mark again ... look sideways .... kick.....no options....bang it long ... turnover

You missed out about four free kicks to the opposition.

■■■■ can people stop talking about the hawks game. Just shows how mediocre we are that we are hanging onto a game we lost in round 2 against an undermanned hawks side. Reminds me of the game we lost to Brisbane back in about 2004 at docklands where we stuck with them for a half then got smashed. But it was ok, we played a great half of footy, matched it with the best for a half ffs.

Think they so concerned about retaining possession (because when we have it they cant score) that the risk taking, attacking side of the game has been affected. 
Individually someone like Zaka who has had the acid put on him about being accountable lost his attacking flair & ball winning ability until last week. 
Also meant our fwds are pushing **** up hill with ball movement costing them one on one opportunities and lack of opportunity in general due to inside 50 numbers.  

During our run last year we were leading the league for inside 50's. We just couldnt take a mark. However our players ran out of steam/injuries came. 
I can only assume Bomber trying to teach the defensive side of game moreso, he seems somewhat content that things are panning out as expected, and attempting to play a style that conserves the legs for the long season. 
Doesn't make it all that attractive to watch unfortunately. 
I'm giving us a 3 off how poorly we have played against the **** sides when everyone else is flogging them. 

But we know its in the team to play much better, as per round 1-3 and the first quarter of Anzac Day. 

What do we need, 11 from 13 to match last year?

Because this stinkin' side has failed to meet my lofty expectations of them.

Hawthorn apologist.