Semi Final vs Footscray, 2:40pm Sunday 11 September at North Port Oval

I know Smack was injured but what happened to Grimley?

What about Eades…Gone??

Kommer's career desperately needed us to play two more weeks.

That turnover of 17 guys since our last final was brutal, and without Smack and a few others voluntarily left out it was a less balanced team. Freezer, the Ferryman and Big Jack did their part in filling some of those gaps but we couldn’t carry as many players as we did today.

Kommer didn’t look happy when he left the ground. Looked like he pretty much grabbed his gear and nicked off pretty quickly.

Time for the club to make some tough calls now, if guys are struggling at VFL level what hope is there of them playing higher. Need a decent clean out

This seems like an odd post. I think the delistings basically do themselves, with the only odd one being Jackson being contracted, Smack seems to be getting another year and whether or not Long/Hams/McKenna go up or stay rookies.

Who would you have as being part of a “clean out” that Blitz hasn’t already had gawn for 2 mths now?

I am usually a Jerrett fan but he was very ordinary today. Kommer was good Hams was good, Francis showed what he will be which was good. Still like McKenna got some class. Edwards again shows what he could be, but never will be. Lot of others I didn’t know. The backline was very good.
Good effort by the guys, but a disappointing finish.

i reckon shaunye knows whats coming in the next couple of days! was very emotional after the game! very frustrating player ,has so much natural ability but never looks like he wants to play 100%

I know Smack was injured but what happened to Grimley?

Grimley, Simpkin and Crowley got told a couple of games back that they would not be played any more for the rest of the season, however long it went. Crowley begged for one more match and they gave him one.

Stats up.

Some of them aren’t what I thought (e.g. Hams and Polkinghorne, who both spent substantial time forward starved of opportunity).

In DT order:

Edwards 26 disposals and 1.3, off half-back. Was 6 on 6 all day, so no cheapies.
Hams 22, 1.0, 7 tackles and 6 inside 50s, half as a forward and half as a midfielder
Coghlan 20 and 4 inside 50s, as a half-back-flanker
Polkinghorne 21, 1.3 and 6 tackles
Dobson 19
HepA 20 and 8 tackles
McNeice 17 and 7 tackles
Kommer 12 and 2.1, more frees for than against, and a lot of uncredited pressure
Ashby 15 and 8 tackles
Heavyside, just 8 disposals but 1.1 and game-leading 10 tackles
Freezer, 15 and 10 marks
Francis, 13 and 2.2
Langford, 13 and 9 marks; those stats don’t tell the work he did
Ditto Ferry with 13
Wallis, 13 and 1.1
Merrett, 15 and no goals from the pockets (or anything inspiring at all, really)
McKenna 15, was drab early on but some of his kicks later on were Elite Elite
Long 12
Redman 13 and a letdown after last week
Jamar 5 disposals and 26 hitouts (Campbell and Minson had 24 each)
Big Sam Michael 6 disposals and about that many dropped marks
Morgan 9 and who?
Holmes 5! Was one of many players getting legs worked on at the bench

FFS we won inside fifties 63-43 FFS

Essendon’s VFL season is over after a six goal to one final term from Footscray handed them a 19-point win in Sunday’s semi final at North Port Oval.

In front of a huge crowd, the Bombers led by 18 points at three quarter time but were unable to stop the Bulldogs momentum in the final term.

Essendon trailed by 13 points at quarter time and five points at the main break, before taking the lead early in the third quarter.

The Bombers dominated possession in the third term with the help of a challenging breeze, but failed to make the most of 20 inside 50’s to five, kicking four goals seven to the Bulldogs one goal.

A free kick to Sam Michael ensured the Bombers hit the lead, with a long range goal from Will Hams pushing the lead out to double figures and bringing the crowd to life.

Shaun Edwards was having a big impact on the contest and stamped that with a long running goal after receiving a handball through the middle of the ground.

Aaron Francis was providing plenty of excitement for the Essendon faithful and when he marked strongly and converted the Bombers looked full of confidence.

The three goal buffer was never going to be enough with the Bulldogs pegging back the margin early in the fourth term.

A goal from Nick Kommer soon after seemed to settle the Bombers briefly, but the Bulldogs suffocated the Bombers run and slammed on five goals straight to secure their spot in next weekend’s preliminary final.

Will Hams was outstanding with 22 touches, four marks, seven tackles and six inside 50’s as well as a goal. Shaun Edwards was constantly in the action with 26 disposals, four marks, four tackles, five inside 50’s and one rebound 50.

Aaron Heppell’s consistent season continued with 22 touches, eight tackles, six inside 50’s and one rebound 50.

James Polkinghorne collected 21 disposals and kicked a goal, while the captain Daniel Coghlan led by example with 20 touches.

Josh Freezer was a rock in the defensive half taking 10 marks from his 15 possessions while Jack Langford had nine marks from 13 touches and countless timely spoils.

Aaron Francis and Nick Kommer were the only multiple goal kickers with two each from 13 and 12 touches respectively.

The players, who have fought valiantly all season, were visibly upset after the game.

Bombers coach Matthew Egan said his side didn’t make the most of their momentum.

“We did so much right for so much of the game. The Bulldogs were three goals down and rolled the dice in the last quarter and it paid off for them,” Egan said.

“They were really efficient and got us on the outside and we just couldn’t slow them down.

“We didn’t make the most of our chances when we had them. In the third quarter we won inside 50’s by 15 and we should have scored more.

“When you have the momentum in stages of games you really have to make the most of it.”

Egan said he wasn’t surprised to see the Bulldogs take so many risks to win the game in the final quarter.

“That’s how they usually play the game,” he said.

“We were able to slow them down for three quarters and in the last quarter they held their width really well and took a few risks and it hurt us, we couldn’t restrict them.”

Despite the loss, Egan said he was incredibly proud of the group.

“I could barely talk to them at the end because you know how upset they are and how much they have put in to the last four weeks in particular,” Egan said.

“To not get the result you could see that they were all just devastated. They weren’t ready to finish, we had a real belief they we could keep going and do some more damage as the year went on but that’s footy.

“Now they have to learn how to deal with it and how to use their disappointment and put it into their pre-season and every time they come to train.”

Footscray 4.3-27 6.5-41 7.7-49 13.16-94
Essendon 2.2-14 5.6-36 9.13-67 10.15-75

FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS
Goal Kickers: B. Dale 3, M. Hannan 3, N. Jamieson 2, N. Hrovat, T. Campbell, B. Long, D. Hamilton, J. Adcock
Best Players: J. Russell, J. Adcock, L. Nash, N. Jamieson, F. Roberts, M. Honeychurch

ESSENDON
Goal Kickers: A. Francis 2, N. Kommer 2, S. Heavyside, J. Polkinghorne, T. Wallis, S. Edwards, S. Michael, W. Hams
Best Players: W. Hams, J. Polkinghorne, J. Langford, D. Coghlan, N. Kommer, J. Freezer

I agree with Ivan about Kommer: really committed all day. Jerret disappointing. This was a day when someone of his experience could have put a stamp on the game but it didn’t happen.

I was as keen as anyone for a win. But really, the most important aspect of it was how our young talent went. In the long run, it doesn’t matter too much how the VFL listed and top ups went, and whether it got us across the line.
Our young guys were pretty disappointing.
I thought McKenna was the best of them, in the second half (after a very quiet first half). His kicking is great, but he still gets beaten too often and too easily in some one on ones, and as an AFL backman, he would concede a lot of goals. However, he is progressing ok, based on what he showed today.
After that, it was slim pickings.
Long was quite disappointing. I think he actually gets involved more at AFL level than he does at VFL level. He fails to provide the outside run and damaging ball use you would hope for from him at VFL level. He has come on dramatically this year, but still a long way to go.
Morgan is showing almost nothing. He is supposed to be quick, but has he ever run with the ball in any game? He needs to show he can win the ball. Yes, I know, injuries and all, but really, even with an interrupted season, he needs to show more.
Redman has shown flashes this year, but he plays too many games like today where he just doesn’t get in the contest for long periods.
I can live with the cross the ground turnover in the last. That isn’t the problem.
Francis certainly showed little bits again, but in the end, he didn’t contribute much, and failed to take his opportunities. He kicked 2, but stuffed up opportunities to kick up to 5. Today’s effort was a bit underwhelming.
If you think I am being a bit hard on our guys, consider whether you would rather Honeychurch (21) and Hrovat (22) or Merrett (23) and Hams (22) based on what they showed today.
Maybe we should consider making an offer to Hrovat (out of contract), and even maybe trading for Honeychurch (contracted for 2017)
I think we tend to talk up our young guys out of pure optimism and hope.

Merrett really average today.
Gonna struggle to be on the list after next year

Stats up.

Some of them aren’t what I thought (e.g. Hams and Polkinghorne, who both spent substantial time forward starved of opportunity).

In DT order:

Edwards 26 disposals and 1.3, off half-back. Was 6 on 6 all day, so no cheapies.
Hams 22, 1.0, 7 tackles and 6 inside 50s, half as a forward and half as a midfielder
Dobson 19
HepA 20 and 8 tackles
McNeice 17 and 7 tackles
Kommer 12 and 2.1, more frees for than against, and a lot of uncredited pressure
Ashby 15 and 8 tackles
Freezer, 15 and 10 marks
Francis, 13 and 2.2
Ditto Ferry with 13
Wallis, 13 and 1.1
Merrett, 15 and no goals from the pockets (or anything inspiring at all, really)
Long 12
Morgan 9 and who?

Wouldit be fair to say that Jamar wasn’t the positive influence one woud have hoped for?

It would be fair to say that. Ditto for Sam Michael, freed from the backline to play forward/ruck. We lost the hitouts 57-40 and got pretty much nothing forward or around the ground.

Stats up.

In DT order:

Dobson 19
HepA 20 and 8 tackles
McNeice 17 and 7 tackles
Ashby 15 and 8 tackles
Freezer, 15 and 10 marks
Francis, 13 and 2.2
Ditto Ferry with 13
Wallis, 13 and 1.1
Long 12
Morgan 9 and who?

Wouldit be fair to say that Jamar wasn’t the positive influence one woud have hoped for?

Possibly but Minson was rarely sighted too. Did they negate each other? I’ll need to watch the replay.

Geez kommer was good today. Would sooner have him go around again than jerret play out his contact frankly. Kommer Plays like every contest means something to him, brave at every ball, hard at every chase, and cleaner with the ball than one might expect. If there is ever a 50/50 to win jerret will not win ît. Waits for the ball too much, gets his eyes up before he secures the ball, panics when contact is coming.

Agreed! He kicked a couple of good goals, set up others. His pressure is something that most of our other forwards can’t do - he forced a turnover that led to a Francis mark and goal. He may not be the most talented, but he plays with a lot of spirit. There are plenty I would get rid of before him.

I think we'll start to see another side of Woosha. He has had a year at the club now, its time for future making plans and some players unfortunately, won't be in those plans. Delist time is coming. Will there be any surprises, who knows?

FGS, don’t draft Boomer Harvey.

Saw the half time score.
Saw the full time score.
Had no idea about the in between till flicking through the game thread here.

FFS.

Only noticed a few pockets of dogs fans with about 2 minutes to play. Chirpy ■■■■■. Was very happy with Francis and Mckenna’s game. I would rookie Holmes in a heartbeat.