Send Off Rule

Homer: hello dean, your a stupid head
Dean Pelton: homer is that you?
Homer: ah!! “Runs off”

If someone intentionally injures someone or does something that causes someone serious bodily harm in a reckless manor, send them off.

If we miss a few, so be it.

Take a hard line in the AFL and it could save lives in the local leagues.

In theory I support the idea of a send off rule, but the umpires would stuff it up and acts of retaliation would usually be punished more than the original perpetrator, especially if subtle.

But, why not try to take any act out of the game that can be established to be an act of violent aggression that isn’t a valid part of playing the game. This is basically what I heard Gary Lyon promoting on the radio this morning with Tim Watson being supportive as well, with Bob Murphy indicating that Dangerfield may be interested in promoting as well. The idea is to get players to sign up to take a stand against violence and denigrating behaviour towards your opponent out of the game altogether (that isn’t a part of the actual game).

You wouldn’t need a send off rule if any hit isn’t a part of playing the game was deemed unacceptable and attracted a suspension. Anyone who throws a punch, even if spotted on video replay, or even any deliberate dog act that is intended to injure (like a Mitchell knee) is routinely suspended at least a week if intent can be established either by admission - which should reduce the penalty to no less than 1 week and no fine, or by proving to a level of proof of on balance of probability, and suspend the player again for a minimum of 1 week and they have to pay the costs of the hearing if found guilty.

The idea behind it being, that some punches are currently deemed acceptable, and Gaff had thrown one not long before he walloped Brayshaw in the mouth which has attracted no criticism. But because this is okay, a deliberate blow which apparently, according to Brayshaw’s father, unintentionally caught Andrew Brayshaw on the jaw, caused a serious injury which Gaff wishes never happened.

By taking permission to hit someone away and making the action totally unacceptable, this would have been a much more effective way to prevent an incident like Gaff’s on Brayshaw, than any send off rule, given Gaff didn’t want to make that type of contact in the first place, but a punch to the chest was his intention, which wouldn’t even have attracted a penalty if executed as intended, which is a problem, because it makes it a part of the game.

Deliberate acts of violence, as opposed to aggressive but fair play, should be penalised every time, and that would have a much bigger impact than a red card.

4 Likes

Agree. Punish the intent, not the outcome.

1 Like

It will come down to Ch7 or FoxFooty to decide who gets sent off.

2 Likes

Yeah - I’ve used three papers before…normally enhances the senses!

It will be left solely up to Gary Lyon and Ed McGuire.

1 Like

Yes, a red card for king hits or huge, destructive punches is a good idea, But let’s not stop there. Let’s also have red cards for umpires who are having a bad game, to the detriment of one side-especially if it’s ours!

2 Likes

Let’s make it like the ‘worm’ in the federal leaders debate during an election campaign. Once it tips to 75%, umpire gets ejected and emergency comes on. Will need a fair few emergency umpires, but that’s good for the game. Encourages fast promotion of competent umpires.

5 Likes

Your worm suggestion gets a Vote of Affirmation from me.

Its already in VFL, WAFL, SANFL and other leagues. Also in lower leagues such as Colts and reserves. AFL should wake up! They want to portray a safe game but restrict umpires on their job. Make the change for AFL umpires to send off a player such as what Gaff did.

Red card for judiciary system fining a player who executes a fair bump but gets slapped with a $2000 fine.

1 Like

Watch some tapes of Dipper, Brereton, Lockett, Velvet, Mick Martin, DRJ, Fletcher, Ditterich, Lynch. I mean if some one like Fletch trips a player, he goes off with a broken leg…then player that tripped should go too. Make it a 2 way street.

@Diggers

It’s inevitable.

In fact, I can help them with drafting the new rule(s) for a small fee.

1 Like

Very generous of you, but l don’t think you should have to pay anything.

2 Likes