Send Off Rule

*sniff sniff

I think I smell a hobby horse developing

1 Like

Just my opinion here, it’s gonna have some issues with it that some people aren’t gonna like…
I’d have sent Gaff back on, personally.
Once he’s composed himself, and even if only for a short while.
If you don’t then he not only has to deal with the stigma of the hit, but that he was ‘too scared to come back on.’
Something I think is a real thing that would follow him.

So, I guess that’s a point in the OP’s favour.
That the decision be taken out of the coach’s hands.

1 Like

No doubt and if it is only for those incidents then it can be used. However, a line needs to be drawn and I dont trust the untiring fraternity to get it right.

Agree with you here. He was right to send him back on.

You go back out there and face the music, not run and hide.

a-freaking-men.

the afl will be dizzy this week from their high-horse but this situation has developed under their watch. obviously doesn’t absolve gaff of any blame.

they’ll claim how much they hate it, whilst lapping up millions of clicks on their ■■■■■■ website. there is content everyyyywhere on it.

2 Likes

What you don’t seem to appreciate is there are 45,000 West Coast fans v 5000 Fremantle and Gaff’s presence back on the field has the potential to get way ugly on both sides of the fence.

Putting the antiquated machismo to one side, Gaff’s ‘reputation’ as a man in your eyes are insignificant compared to what can actually happen when emotions are running that high.

2 Likes

@Diggers

Peter Caven and Lockett?

Sorry, 4x incidents that would warrant sending off.

Milburn on Silvagni?

The act itself wasn’t criminal assualt, but the aftermath got ugly.

Would that qualify?

No - there’s nothing here. Been discussed ad nauseam. Move on to more important things like when will we lift our next cup and what do we need to do to achieve the ultimate success.

No because it happened in play. Same with J Cameron earlier this season. Houli shouldn’t be sent off for his backhand as he wasn’t looking at the player and Bugg was in play also. Lockett was also in play but was so blatant and dangerous that it must be dealt with immediately.

Yep and this is the issue

I’m talking about flat out assault. Not head high bumps in play or a head strike in a marking contest.

1 Like

Brayshaw is eating puréed food exclusively for the next 4x weeks. It absolutely should not happen playing football.

1 Like

Behind play.

That was NO tap by Gaff. 100 metres off the ball a broken jaw and three teeth which will have to be removed and reset back into his jaw. Brayshaw will have his jaw wired shut and drinking through a straw for weeks to come. That was one hell of a punch. Imagine someone doing that in a Grand Final and the team loses one of its best player. Remember Essendon’s John Sommerville? Was it in 1990 final against Collingwood?

Maybe not the red card but send the player off and he stays off until the injured plays comes on or not. Keeps the score even. After all the game is all about equalisation, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Bugg wasn’t in play.
I think you might be thinking of a different incident?

1 Like

Maybe.

Who was the jerk who punched someone from behind while they were running to the bench?

I’m thinking Deledio for some reason, but I’m not at all sure…

Edit: sorry, Deledio. It was Conca.

Three week suspension served entirely in the preseason. Didnt miss a senior game.

2 Likes