Send Off Rule

Well if you want to get technical, then the entire AFL are completely farked and we should nuke the whole lot (like we should nuke the Middle East) and start over.

So yes I agree, it’s actually not the rules that are the issue, it is the fact that there is no AFL employee who can be trusted by the public to consistently and fairly apply ANY rule in any facet of the game.

3 Likes

you don’t know that they will be off for the rest of the game, until the end of the game, which is too late to apply to the rule

1 Like

So you don’t acknowledge the concussion rules where they declare someone is off for the rest of the game…hard to imagine anything serious enough for a red card that doesn’t involve concussion or a broken leg.

Can we vote to send off Gill the Dill?

1 Like

Punch is a free kick.
Any punch.
Any closed fist contact to an opponent.

No more problem.

3 Likes

Even a spoil from a defender that just misses the ball, rather than is aimed at the player?

1 Like

Nope.

At clearances.
Hey presto, decongestion.

Edit: Oh, and footy players playing footy and not being ■■■■■.

Edit: Edit: Okay, I confess that this is a hobby horse of mine.
How did this happen?
That footballers just punch each other at clearances.
That the umpires have come to think that that’s okay?
I have nothing but contempt for it. It’s gutless.
And it absolutely led to the Gaff incident.

2 Likes

drink!

jks, jks.

i’m on board the punch train. or, not on board? i dunno, you know what i mean.

1 Like
1 Like

It would be fair, for sure and it would even up the numbers, but, what if, instead of a send off rule, if a player is subsequently found guilty of an extreme, unsavoury act, the footy club gets PREMIERSHIP POINTS taken off them. A radical solution but I believe it would work. It could easily be said that a player doing something despicable is “bringing the game into disrepute” and we all know how little it takes for some clubs to be punished with points and draft penalties. Think about it before you decide to howl me down.

1 Like

Intention is a fluid thing. Where the thought goes so the energy flows.

He didn’t mean to hit him in he head but: Gaff hit him in the head.

Gaff was being tagged and he was frustrated or angry or both.

I don’t even think Gaff was frustrated or angry.
The same type of incident happens dozens of times throughout a game.
Gaff just* happened to get Brayshaw flush in the jaw.

• obviously Gaff f*cked up by opting to take swing in the first place, but after that it was just misfortune that the strike wasn’t a harmless one that hit the chest or shoulder
1 Like

What if what if what if what if what if what if what if what if what if what if what if

There isn’t a problem to solve here. AFL has functioned without one for [XX} years, and will continue to function without one.

I’ll be blown away if this is still a topic of conversation after 7:50pm on Friday.

I’m not 100% certain but isn’t there provision for that now? Essendon’s points were stripped resulting in them missing the finals in what, 2015?

I’m not saying that players shouldn’t be sent off for situations like the Gaff incident.

I simply don’t trust the umpires, or officials judging from a video replay to make the right calls.

Sending a player off the ground for an entire game is a hefty penalty, I simply don’t think the AFL would get it right.

2 Likes

Agreed. I do not mind how they do it in the NFL with the sin bin 10 minute rule (after vid ref has watched all angles) or something like it.

The problem I have with a red card is if the ump makes a mistake. What happens then? A side is down a player and it can affect the outcome and the ump was wrong. Can it be reversed by the video ump?

There is a lot to consider, unlike the media who just demand something without thinking about all the issues involved.

And to be fair to the AFL and Gill, they very strongly said absolutely not.

There is only a handful of incidents in the last 20 years where players should have been red carded.

• it needs to be a king hit or punch
    Or
  • the incident needs to be worth at minimum 5 week suspension

Ie. Gaff, Barry Hall, Brian Lake, Vandenberg and Campbell Brown… I’m sure there are other situations that I’ve forgotten.

Lloyd… (I don’t really believe that, but it’s an interesting example)

I was thinking behind the play incidents

So what happens if the Umps don’t see it happen like the Gaff one? Does the vid ump get them to stop the game to send the player off? When does he choose to stop the game? What happens if the opp have the ball at that moment, does the ump pay a free kick against them and they lose the ball? What if they are about to have a shot on goal? Or does the vid ump do it after a goal has been scored? Is it a free at the same time?