Sharing Economy

Awright geeezzaa! I fnk I 'ave found myself in da wrong fread. Sorted mate.

I used Uber heaps in India earlier this year, it was awesome being able to call and direct cars without needing to speak the language. I’ve also used Airbnb a bunch of times in different places around the world (I’m in an Airbnb place right now!) and love the service.

I don’t like how Airbnb is allegedly being taken over though by property developers who just buy apartments for the sole purpose of renting them online. Doesn’t really fit in the with the ‘spirit’ of the service…

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool

How bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man’s eyes

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool

How bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man’s eyes

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous

Sometimes, when you stare deeply into the drink, the drink…makes you plastered.

I used to run a company call HouseMinders, whereby you can live in a house rent free in exchange for looking after the house, pets and garden. As our company did screening of potential sitters there was rarely any issues. The owner of the property saves on pet boarding costs and the sitter saves on rent. Everybody wins.

Almost called them a few months ago, till my son agreed to look after the place instead. how did it all go, in general?

Soulnet helped me get started when I got into the housesitting caper! I've now been "of no fixed address" for five years (anniversary is tomorrow!!). Terrific concept :)

I too have used Airbnb to host and to be honest it’s been brilliant from a perspective of virtually paying for your holidays. Our travelling virtually costs us nil when we have our place occupied while we are away.

I don’t think it will last though, it’s only a matter of time before a government be it state or federal clamps down and over regulates it to the point where it’s no longer feasible or worth the headache.

I used to run a company call HouseMinders, whereby you can live in a house rent free in exchange for looking after the house, pets and garden. As our company did screening of potential sitters there was rarely any issues. The owner of the property saves on pet boarding costs and the sitter saves on rent. Everybody wins.

Almost called them a few months ago, till my son agreed to look after the place instead. how did it all go, in general?

Soulnet helped me get started when I got into the housesitting caper! I've now been "of no fixed address" for five years (anniversary is tomorrow!!). Terrific concept :)

@Koala was my best house sitter till she let her own little ‘network’ know what she was up to! LOL

Not much fun when you live next to a B and B. People coming and going, new tenants locking themselves out of the apartment, and in one case locking themselves in the apartment

My gf runs Airbnb on her apartment. She tried unsuccessfully to rent it out - a couple of new developments with sht apartments made on the cheap have gone up in the neighborhood making it difficult to find tenants willing to pay a bit more for a nicer place. So the thinking is that she'll try again in the new year, and in the meantime she'll do it as an Airbnb place.

Kitted it out with basic furniture borrowed from family and friend’s sheds. Needs an hour or so of prep/cleaning at the start and end of each stay, but it’s 5min from her work so she just does it before/after/between classes. Only needs to rent it out for 11 days a month to cover her mortgage payment. A further 5 knocks over her rent share in our current place. Anything more is a bonus. Not quite rolling in it, but definitely making enough for it to be well worth the effort.

Drawbacks include the odd fkhead client or two (same with literally everything else you ever deal with) - you can just leave them a sht review. Also the regular scammer attempts, but once there’s been a couple they’re pretty easily spotted from a mile away.

Yeah I think the churn from hosts will see turnover every couple of years. I know from experience, there is only so long you can clean sheets with hmmm natural fluids in it, but that’s all part of the fun.

What scams are you talking about? I know of the airbnb baby

Messages saying "we'd like to stay for a month but only pay cash blah blah blah" from profiles with no history.

I showed my gf how to do a reverse image search so that’s her new go-to way of spotting dodginess. For some reason they almost always use photos of real estate agents.

Not much fun when you live next to a B and B. People coming and going, new tenants locking themselves out of the apartment, and in one case locking themselves in the apartment

Sounds like a regular tenant.

It’s like this lobby group founded by dockland residents. Perhaps they need to look at where they live and pick a place that doesnt scream bucks/hens/Melbourne cup/stereosonic pad. There is a million places to live in Melbourne at that price point.

But wasn’t the original sales premise the opposite of what it has become?

Ahhh that’s fantastic to know!
And you probably have contacts. We’re often at a loss to do - we have two cats and a dog, and we like travelling. My kids are getting tired of looking after the place, and although Jak is fine at a kennel, the cats would hate it.