Ship happens

Are they just going to have to nuke the ship much like they take a stick of TNT to a beached whale?

And the next time a whale washes up on the beach, we may not know what to do, but we will know what not to do

1 Like

You’d imagine a few Tug boats on each corner would get it unstuck and straightened up with a bit of well planned effort.

If it’s pushed its way into the mud at the side of the canal, then there’s going to be a huge amount of suction preventing it from moving.

Good chance this needs either anchors on land to winch from or offloading cargo to make the ship sit higher in the water.

And you thought youve had bad days at work…

Mud? Doesn’t it have major concrete walls each side?

Trying to recall the doco on it’s construction … :thinking:

Edit: Might be thinking of the Panama one.

Silt. Crap. What have you.

It’s got a desert on either side. Guaranteed they are in a constant battle dredging the wind blown material filling in the canal. That’s going to be more prevalent at the edges.

Haven’t you ever tried to do a 360° and got it wrong?

Ahh, … just looks like pretty sharp edges in this pic, … and in that case really doesn’t look like something a 6 pack of Tugs couldn’t fix to me.

Maybe it’s not so easy to get them there front and back though.

Interesting link to Australia. Syncarpia hillii sourced from Fraser Island was used to line the banks of the Suez Canal due to its ability to withstand rot in marine environments.

3 Likes

Just get some tradies in hi vis with a SLOW sign to send all the other ships on a crazy detour around it.

1 Like

Up shi t creek without a rudder

Captain clearly attempting a burnout and lost control.

2 Likes

Real boats don’t even touch the water now. Just put foils on each side and hoist a mainsil and jib capn and watch it fly.
Possibly I’m getting confused with recent America’s Cup boats in NZ. They really did fly.

4 Likes

Would love to see how Australia II would go against the latest winning boat. I know what the result would be but it would be interesting to see how far the technology has come since 1984.

1 Like

Finally clear to me why a part of the ship is called the “bridge”.

5 Likes

You can see the excavator trying to dig the muck around the bow.

1 Like

They said it had run aground, not just “sideways”

1 Like

This wins bomberblitz

1 Like

Thinking through this more, the ship would have come to a stop when the bulbous bow pushed its way into the side of the canal. The canal would be sloped from the side wall down to the trafficable path. Could have wedged itself a few meters into the silt before the ship came to a stop. Then everything would settle around the bulb and suck it tight in place.