Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Bill Box

Dean Rioli

Danny Jacobs had finally started to show something in the backline before we moved him on. We ended up getting Mark Alvey and Kepler Bradley (with pick 6).

Jacobs ended up playing for 4 years with the Hawks but injury ended his career. He really started to breakthrough with us I thought, and if he'd continued in the same vein, would've been good support for Fletch. So jacobs went after 2003, richards after 2005. i'm having a mental blank, but obviously we had some pretty handy tall back-men during the mid 2000s.. (wellman retired in 2004).

1 Like

Danny Jacobs had finally started to show something in the backline before we moved him on. We ended up getting Mark Alvey and Kepler Bradley (with pick 6).

Jacobs ended up playing for 4 years with the Hawks but injury ended his career. He really started to breakthrough with us I thought, and if he'd continued in the same vein, would've been good support for Fletch. So jacobs went after 2003, richards after 2005. i'm having a mental blank, but obviously we had some pretty handy tall back-men during the mid 2000s.. (wellman retired in 2004).

You're probably referring to handy tall types like Zantuck, Bradley Bolton, Lee, Henneman all of whom offered great support to Fletch.

You're probably referring to handy tall types like Zantuck, Bradley Bolton, Lee, Henneman all of whom offered great support to Fletch.

Said nobody ever
Jay Neagle had bundles of talent but very little effort and hard work to go with it. Great set shot for goal though

Lachlan Ross, Russell Williams and Shawn Lewfatt.... 3 indigenous guys who never went on with it, I was to young when they were about to see or know to much about them. Can anyone shed some light?

Lachlan Ross, Russell Williams and Shawn Lewfatt.... 3 indigenous guys who never went on with it, I was to young when they were about to see or know to much about them. Can anyone shed some light?

One of them had red hair (Williams?). That‘s all I remember!

Said nobody ever
Jay Neagle had bundles of talent but very little effort and hard work to go with it. Great set shot for goal though

Lucky we had Fletch.

1 Like

I'll add the name of Glenn Manton. Bit of a ■■■■ but bled black and red and didn't want to leave. Became a very handy player for the scum.

His leaving also made them a better team, so a double whammy really.

2 Likes

One of them had red hair (Williams?). That‘s all I remember!
Lachlan Ross had a go at Brett Heady one day about the size of his ears......it looked very funny. It's a pity that was probably the highlight of his career.

I'll add the name of Glenn Manton. Bit of a ■■■■ but bled black and red and didn't want to leave. Became a very handy player for the scum.

His leaving also made them a better team, so a double whammy really.

Glad to see the back of him. Useless.

Corey McGrath

Add blumfield to that as well.

Lewfatt, Dwayne Armstrong and Brendan Duncan!

NASH

Andrew Radchenko, Andy Gasparini and Howard Staehr.

Andrew Radchenko, Andy Gasparini and Howard Staehr.

kgb tracked em down?

Didn’t Jacobs have a few off field “issues”?

David Grenvold(Glenelg) and Andrew Underwood(Norwood) both came over from SA together in the late eighties.

Whilst Grenvold became one of my favourites I thought that Underwood would become a very handy player for us

after the first two or three games that he played. Unfortunately  he did his knee early on in his debut season and

struggled to get back from it before being traded to Richmond where I think the same fate befell him.

I remember him being a very strongly built type sort of in the same mould as Mick Conlon from Fitzroy and was

quite skilled on either side of his body and a long kick too. Had the same styled mullet as Greg Anderson did, but darker.

Come to think of it, Grenvold's career was relatively short too with us, 6 or 7 seasons I think...great player though.

Keep an eye on J Gwilt.

Dean Rioli. Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. He could read the game beautifully.

He controlled games with his skill, poise and decision making. He'd set up wins in the first half of games. Most pure and skilful player I think I've ever seen at Essendon. Loved the guy.