Short careers...which ones do you think about?

And the legend was soooooo much fun.

It also helped that he was pretty much a rumour because it took him 2 years to get on the park from when he was drafted and when he did he was the size of Hercules from all the time he spent in the gym.

Top bloke too.

Quoted Post

One thing that the thread does confirm is that the Courtney Johns 'Messiah' legend was spread from the mouths of 6 people... apparently. Wish I'd known that abit sooner :)

That’s how many people were behind the eastern goals when he took 10 marks and kicked 4 goals (the last 2 playing one-out against 2 opponents) in the third quarter at Werribee to bring us back from a big deficit at half-time.

It was freakin’ awesome, and made better when Alessio at the end of the final quarter to get us over the line.

Mind you, I don’t think the other five posted here about it. So I did so, repeatedly, to compensate for their absence.

I honestly don’t reckon there was a single minute where I thought Johns looked up to AFL standard.

1 Like

Johns is a boomerang thrower. Lay off.

Best running gag ever, only occasionally spoiled by people who either didn’t get it or have no sense of humus.

He would have been a great player in the 90’s

Quoted Post

I remember the backlash I received on here when I wrote an article about what Johns' teammates thought about him. In particular Lloydy who thought he was a lazy trainer with no heart.

Johns was liked, his post footy career is testament to that, he has travelled the country to play with ex team mates.

He has played at Abers with lots of ex players, Natrat got him and Mal Micheal to play at Heywood, Dean Rioli got him up to Tiwi Island to get them their first flag

He is a bit of a lad though

Quoted Post

I honestly don't reckon there was a single minute where I thought Johns looked up to AFL standard.

There was a game against Freo in perth where i reckon he looked up to standard but unfortunately hit the post a couple of times. Could have kicked 5 or 6 that night iirc.

Lacked agility overall, very straight line only player.

For me it was Neale Daniher. Superstar who should have played 300.

Willie ■■■■.

Peter Dinklage

Darren Williams.

He only played 109 games over 7 seasons. Won a Morrish medal with us before he headed over to WA. He was tough and talented but injuries surely curtailed a career that could’ve exceeded 200 games. Finished up in 1989… Was only 29. (Met him at my first game, seemed a quiet type - his mum snuck me into the rooms - great lady…)

Here are a few memories from a couple of guys from Bigfooty… some blokes called pazza and yaco55… :slight_smile:

Pazza “Quite possibly the cheekiest ■■■■■■■ we had on our list in the 80’s. Always loved a scrap, giving plenty of lip on the way through (if you have the 1985 GF video/DVd, there’s a point in the 1st quarter where Russell Morris gets felled by Roger Merrett and whilst returning the ball back for the 15m penalty, Daisy calmly and quietly flips the bird!)”

Yaco55 “Daisy Williams was an extremely courageous rover - nose over the ball, good endurance, reasonable skills, fairly good crumber, team oriented - Unfortunately several bouts of concussion cut short his career by two or three years.”

He’s the only opposition bloke Dermott Brereton felt sorry for after basically finishing his career that day when he drove him into the turf with his full weight. Same day he cleaned up Vander with that shirtfront IIRC.

Quoted Post

He's the only opposition bloke Dermott Brereton felt sorry for after basically finishing his career that day when he drove him into the turf with his full weight. Same day he cleaned up Vander with that shirtfront IIRC.

Correct. Dermott knows a lot about coming out after half time and deliberately running through a guy’s head.

Williams retired in January (?) the next year.

Quoted Post

Best running gag ever, only occasionally spoiled by people who either didn't get it or have no sense of humus.

Lol

Ben Jolley.

Done OK at Williamstown.

Reckon he’d have had a longer and more celebrated career if only he’d dyed his hair blond.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
A reply to: @fogdog regarding QuoteLink
Peter Berbakov.

Good call.

I rated the Berb.

Andrew Bomford.

Pretty sure it was bomford who squibbed it in Front of locket in the dying seconds of the prelim in 1996. He puts a half decent effort in and we win that game.

He would of been crunched but he simply had to do it.

Bill Box. Centreman, built like a brick shithouse and twice as hard as he looked. Would have been a truly great inside mid at centre bounces in today’s game, Good runner, too — opposition players just bounced off him. He played only 9 games in 1958. No more because Captain Jack Clarke wanted the centre for himself. Awful shame.

Ian Shelton. The greatest CHB I’ve ever seen, 1963 premiership team. He was doing a bit of metal grinding on the farm in the summer, got a piece of metal in his eye, missed the 1964 season, came back for 1965 on one working eye, helped win the 1965 premiership and then had to retire early. Would have been good for 5 to 8 more years easily.

Dean Rioli. The best all-round footballer I’ve ever seen, no matter what club. He was just breathtaking. No need to go into detail here about his weight problems and the string of injuries which ultimately cut short his career— read the previous posts that mention him in this thread. I’m just privileged to have seen him play.

And yes, I know it’s been 753 days since anyone posted here.

THAT’S TOO ■■■■■■ LONG.

1 Like

As a kid I always though Ian McMullin looked a handy player. Played a few decent games off the forward flank, knew where the goals were but it never quite came together. Maybe I’m wrong, my memory of him in red and black is obviously a bit rose tinted and someone remembers better but I thought that despite maybe going missing in games from memory, feel that he might’ve turned out better than half decent.

I’m pretty sure he also played for Collingwood in that Preliminary Final bollocking we gave them in '84.