Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Nathan Grima

James Davies, Ricky Dyson, Mark Bolton, Aaron Hennemen, Chris Heffernan, Danny Jacobs, Jarrod Atkinson and pretty much every player we have ever recruited!

1 Like

I’d hardly call it a ‘short’ career for the 3 guys that made it to 100 games

It was more so that I had greater expectations from these guys

Knew the day family very well. Both his boys played in my footy team until u16s. We were all Convinced one of them would make it, neither did. Interestingly one is top mates with jobe who was two years below us.

Went to swans and did ok up there too. Kicked 6 against us when we smashed them in early 1993 (buckenara’s last game)

Agree with dagleish, thought he had the goods. Wonder what happened? No other team even bothered picking him up so guess he couldn’t have been that good

Nick Kommers 2013 season. He was like the white Tippa.

7 Likes

Ted Richards! He played for Essendon during 2002-05: 33 games, 19 goals. Then he went to the Swans where he played very well as a tall defender for over 200 games.

I was always disappointed every time he was dropped to the reserves.

Sheeds had this obsession that Henno was much better.

If Henneman was available, Richards wasn’t playing.

Henno was like Johns. Could get promoted no matter how bad his form was in the magoos.

2 Likes

Jackson Merret

1 Like

Late reply.

A few months ago a mate of mine who has zero interest in footy these day, asked me if I knew who Barry Day was. I said he was playing a couple years before I started going with Dad to games. Anyhow my mate tells me that he’s worked with a son of his.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/bundoora-boosts-chances-of-backtoback-nfl-flags-with-host-of-quality-signings/news-story/6bd3da606741f17772ec4f671c2e184b

1 Like

Not that he had a short career, but Adam Ramanauskas.

After his first couple of seasons I felt he had the potential to be a top 10 player in the comp, but then cancer, followed by cancer, followed by a knee reco robbed us of every seeing the best of him.

Still came back and was a good small defender, but during to his injury and illness never felt he got the chance to reach anywhere near his potential, which was a shame.

2 Likes

How do you figure? Sheeds viewed Henno as our CHB mainstay for the next 10-15 years, he always played Bear forward, and obviously he was always behind Lloyd & Lucas for a tall forward spot.

Don’t ever remember him playing consistently as a tall defender until he moved to the Swans.

2 Likes

legit think kommer was one of the most overrated players we have had on our list in recent history. Knew how to run and chase. Disposal was average at best, not an overly good mark and wouldnt even say he was that quick.

Played an extremely niche role due to an utter lack of small pacey forwards who applied pressure.

Tippa is like a God compared to Kommer

2 Likes

He did play back with us, but only when Henno was injured, and replaced immediately when Henno was fit. I remember a game out at Preston or Coburg where Henno was lamentable, almost comically so, but promoted the next week.

My cousin’s son played at Melbourne at roughly the same time, and perceived Neale D in much the same light as Teddy would have perceived Sheeds. Some players played, no matter how they were playing, while players like himself were dropped as soon as they made one error. Regrettably he made the odd one.

1 Like

Didn’t help that Sheeds would play Henneman a hell of a lot of game time in the ruck. Not only a position he was not suited to, but a position that would highlight every mistake poor old Aaron would make, and it was a lot of them.

Sometimes it isn’t a blessing to be a coaches favourite. I reckon it partly ruined his career. Occasionally it’ll pay off like it did with Kevin Walsh, but then you have, Henneman.

Just keep Tippa away from a skateboard.

1 Like