Short careers...which ones do you think about?

the comeback kid!

Dustin Fletcher… left the game too soon.

8 Likes

dunno if mentioned but Neale Daniher must be up there as the most promising career cruelly cut short.

4 Likes

Since when was a 12-year career “short”?

Since when is an 82 game career long?

3 Likes

When your J Williams, T Slattery or D Van Unen

1 Like

johnny rayner

whatever happened to dell’olio?

Married some guy called Peeto and moved back to Perth.

15 Likes

Matthew Banks - debuted on ANZAC day. Sheedy obviously thought he had some talent, as others Sheeds debuted were Lucas and Solomon!

1 Like

must be one of the shortest careers in game’s over such a period .
besides - for the majority of those yeara it wasn’t Neale Daniher but the shadow/leftovers after his injury. was never the same player.

1 Like

I think he really only played 79-81, where he built his reputation
Then returned in 85, did the knee again in a night match
Then returned for 89-90…maybe just 90
Then retired

Ndaniher’s good years were too early for me to now distinguish between my fair dinkum memories and tales/reputation, but my old man says that Neale had that ability to change/win a game (as such a young player) that he only saw again in one James Hird. sounds a bit of alright to me for such a kid, hence the huge pity that we didn’t see it for longer.

1 Like

Neale Daniher and Tim Watson turned a heap of games in our 15-game winning streak in 1981. Our loss was the week he didn’t play. Both were 19-20 years old.

2 Likes

It actually ended up in an article in one of the papers at one point, complete with quotes from a couple of Blitzers. The article was about how fans were agitating for Richards to get a game and Sheeds was doing the pick/drop/pick/drop routine.

That article was how I found out about Blitz and I haven’t really done a full day of work since.

8 Likes

Neale got one more year out of himself in 91 playing with Werribee, kicked a heap of goals. Saw him play in the Grand Final at Princes Park wearing the 6 and just missed out on a flag. A Dandenong player was assaulted on the ground, jaw smashed to pieces.

A “wet week” outpaced him repeatedly that year.

It was painful to watch how slow he was. He was never particularly quick, but just couldn’t have his legs get to where his brain told him to be.

Mark Neeld

yeah, maybe if we held off sacking him we would’ve cracked 100 points this year.

Chris Cole anyone?