Short careers...which ones do you think about?

I believe so
In 1980’s Bob Syme told me

Bob Syme was a lovely bloke. I remember him coaching the reserves, very sad to lose a kid so young.

1 Like

Yes Bob was a great guy and club man
Very tough
Not frightened to say what he thought
Lets hope he and Gary rest in peace

I hate to admit it but I must be one of the oldest on this site. I was at the match when Coleman injured his knee against North Melbourne at Windy Hill. I saw my first game around 1951.

13 Likes

And you are nowhere near as grumpy Comrade Noonan_10

1 Like

Thats great to hear
Was Coleman as good as they say?

The most exciting player I have ever seen. He seemed to take spectacular marks at almost every contest.

5 Likes

I’d love to know your thoughts on the best 10 essendon players you’ve seen. And if you can be bothered tell us why.

Seeing john coleman would have been amazing

2 Likes

All of those goals looked exceptionally easy - which is probably the point

He was an absolutely prodigious talent.
And a lazy, up himself, not very bright, human being.

2 Likes

That’s not quite true about AN_10. I saw my first game in 1957.

I do remember Bob Shearman well. He was a superb kick. There was one that I have never forgotten. We were thrashed by about 12 goals by Melbourne at the G in 1959 but Shearman provided a rare bright moment for us. He picked up the ball right in the centre, turned, took one step and launched a huge torp that landed in the middle of the goal square and bounced through at the city end.

1 Like

Well we have

• foxyjim first game in 1951
  • Goodthur in 1957

Can anyone beat that on BBlitz ?

There was a son of Bob Syme who played a few games for the twos; John I think his name was. He was pretty ordinary though so maybe there was another son.

With a username like that, I reckon Albie_Yeo might be a candidate.

1 Like

Just listened to the podcast on the Johnson brothers #notbrothers.
Was funny when they were talking about the current ex teamates who are coaches in AFL Caracella - saying he is a footy nerd.
And they were surprised where Hardwick ended up a senior coach due to his dislike of footy training, also Solomon as a coach surprised them as well.

Mrs Doe’s uncle (in his early 80s) saw Coleman play and said he was incredible. His vertical leap was amazing.

1 Like

My old man said Coleman, Reynolds, G Ablett Snr, and that was over 90 years.

2 Likes

Shawn Lewfatt
Lachlan Ross

What happened to them after they left the AFL?

1 Like

Don’t forget russell williams and andrew ukovic who were the same era.

1 Like

I remember Ukovic playing in the back pocket on Brad Pearce and running off him at every available opportunity (this was once every team had worked out Pearce was a lazy one-trick pony who wouldn’t chase). Think Uka kicked 2 or 3 goals from memory.
Beyond that one silky game he was pretty much bog ordinary…

2 Likes