Short careers...which ones do you think about?

He was garbage mate

1 Like

There was apparently a game in which he got a free kick or took a mark on the edge of the goal square just before the siren, and had to take the kick after the siren. He was so lacking in confidence in his kicking that he handballed to a teammate for him to kick the goal, but of course hand balling constituted playing on and as the siren had gone, the other player couldn’t take the kick.

I wasn’t there. I remember reading about it, but nothing more.

Not an Essendon player, but Ian McOrist has to get a mention. Kicked 5 or 6 goals from a half forward flank in his first game for Collingwood. Within about a month he’d been dropped and never played again.

Before that. I remember him playing with Bill Hutcheson possibly around 1955/56.

I just looked up the club history. He played only 6 games in 1956 before returning to the bush.

Looking at the club website, played 6 games on permit in 1956 and returned to Orbost. Went back to his farm, like Wayne Beddison.

I started going in 1959, but saw one game of which i had no actual game memories in 1957. We lost to Melbourne, and clambering around the seats, buggered up my nose.

1 Like

I go back a little earlier. I think I saw my first game in 1952. I was at the game at Windy Hill when Coleman injured his knee, never to play again.
I was at also the 1957 Grand Final.

8 Likes

well i guess ill take your word for it. youre the uppermost expert on how to be garbage.

1 Like

Kommer was super entertaining. Have a look at the highlights of the top up victory vs Fark Carlton. Kommer set up 3 of those goals. He did some great things but foot skills needed to be better.

2 Likes

Why thank you

Another very average IQ comment

Kommer may have not been elite, but he earned his Sash, kicked goals for the Bombers and always gave his best.

You are the garbage

8 Likes

Ok.

1 Like

Years later and I still sing this each morning.

3 Likes

Anthony Long.

Such a shame.

Yep he was no world beater, but there were games we won in the 2013 season that I doubt we’d have won without him. My recollection is that he played a very specific, physically demanding role as the spare at just about every contest, and that his manic running and ability to move the ball in the right direction without necessarily collecting a stat made him an oddly important piece of the puzzle that year. If only that side had been left alone to take the chance it had rightfully earned that year!

If he’d ever gotten his body right again Kommer would probably be in the side doing something similar to Baguley’s current role

3 Likes

Jarrod Atkinson.

4 Likes

Atkinson was a pretty good player.

watching him the other day against the hawks rd22 2009 didn’t disgrace himself. got a bit of praise from the commentators too.

1 Like
1 Like

Same here. Could have been anything. Had it all skill wise. Pace, goal sense, footy IQ, played tall, a more solid version of Mercuri, but faster. Like me at Centre Link; no application.

1 Like

Jason Laycock.

He almost won the Anzac Medal in 05. Gosh he looked special, athletic and a great mark.

Then he got injured. A lot. Every year. He showed some mores signs in 2007 but he faded again with injuries.

1 Like