Short careers...which ones do you think about?

I always thought Gavin Keane looked a good player but never seemed to get much of a go.

Adrian burns was another that showed a lot as a youngster but never kicked on.

Andrew manning was good for a while there but wasn’t around for long

Glenn Kilpatrick was handy and then he went to Geelong and blossomed.

Oysters went alright - great nick name,

A couple more come to mind, albeit from a long time ago.
Firstly, Doug Tassell, a tough, no nonsense half back flanker who, from rough memory, played about 25 games and was just starting to emerge as a very good player when he was tragically killed in a road accident. Can’t remember exactly when, either late 60’s or early 70’s.
Then, because he also died very young (although after his football ended) I thought of Duke Wellington. He was a star in the seconds, but never quite lived up to what he seemed to be capable of in the firsts. Probably also played about 30 to 40 games in the about the early 70’s.
In those days, we were a bottom side and, as a supporter, there were a lot of players you had high hopes for, thinking they might become topliners around whom you could build a side. I’m thinking people like Bruce Lake, his brother Eddie Lake, Robbie Amos, and a whole string of “promising” ruckmen (Grainger, Grinter, Perry, Halley). All turned out to be strugglers, despite a lot of early promise.

Graeme Hatcher was a beanpole ruckman in the 70s who looked promising for about half a season.

To me, Darren Cuthbertson seemed like he was going to be a star.  He was a Melbourne player in the 90's.He disappeared about as quickly as that Karl/Carl Peterson from the dorks!

Running around for Donnie East these days last I heard

Thought Greg Anderson was asked to do too much in 91 and 92 which I suspect had something to do with him leaving.

Ripping player around then.

Greg Anderson was all show, no substance. We didn't lose anything when he left.

It was a ■■■■■■ good show in the H&A Season of 1990 though.

Ambrose

Thought Greg Anderson was asked to do too much in 91 and 92 which I suspect had something to do with him leaving.

Can not agree.

He was terrific from 89-92 but particularly 91-92. Often asked to play in key positions as well as on ball and he accounted for himself well.

Can not agree.

He was terrific from 89-92 but particularly 91-92. Often asked to play in key positions as well as on ball and he accounted for himself well.

I'd agree with Albert. Way more hype than performance from Anderson.

Magnificent mullet though.

I always thought Gavin Keane looked a good player but never seemed to get much of a go.
Adrian burns was another that showed a lot as a youngster but never kicked on.
Andrew manning was good for a while there but wasn't around for long

Gavin Keane got the biggest stats the day we got poleaxed in Sydney, and was the one player dropped.

Wasn't interested in following instructions, just stood out on the wing and played his own game. David Murphy may have kicked 5 that day on him.

Burns and Manning were just ordinary.

A couple more come to mind, albeit from a long time ago.
Firstly, Doug Tassell, a tough, no nonsense half back flanker who, from rough memory, played about 25 games and was just starting to emerge as a very good player when he was tragically killed in a road accident. Can't remember exactly when, either late 60's or early 70's.
Then, because he also died very young (although after his football ended) I thought of Duke Wellington. He was a star in the seconds, but never quite lived up to what he seemed to be capable of in the firsts. Probably also played about 30 to 40 games in the about the early 70's.
In those days, we were a bottom side and, as a supporter, there were a lot of players you had high hopes for, thinking they might become topliners around whom you could build a side. I'm thinking people like Bruce Lake, his brother Eddie Lake, Robbie Amos, and a whole string of "promising" ruckmen (Grainger, Grinter, Perry, Halley). All turned out to be strugglers, despite a lot of early promise.

Pat Wellington could take some massive screamers, but couldn't kick over a jam jar. Made Michael Symons look like Matthew Lloyd.

Gary Grainger had massive wraps on him, but was just a bit slow. Richmond made huge attempts to get him to go there. I wonder how he would have turned out if he did. Paul Sproule did little for us, albeit broke his leg one year, but was a gun in those great Tiger sides.

I think Eddie Lake and Robbie Amos were just a little slow for their size.

I still can‘t believe Liberatore beat Anderson in 1990.
I was like: “who?”

I was too young to fully remember what happened with jackovich from melbourne. Didn’t he star for a few years then just disappear?

Sort of.

Che Cockatoo Collins, liked him, had flair, and then his form just disappeared.

Don't recall if he retired or went to another club. 

I was too young to fully remember what happened with jackovich from melbourne. Didn't he star for a few years then just disappear?

Alan Jakovich was a bit like Cupido - absolutely ridiculously talented, and so self absorbed, and so lazy, that regardless of the talent, it wasn't enough. Shame. Absolutely breath taking to watch when he was on.

I was too young to fully remember what happened with jackovich from melbourne. Didn't he star for a few years then just disappear?

Alan Jakovich was a bit like Cupido - absolutely ridiculously talented, and so self absorbed, and so lazy, that regardless of the talent, it wasn't enough. Shame. Absolutely breath taking to watch when he was on.

Just looked up Jako on AFL tables and then Wiki.  He played just over 50 games and averaged just shy of 4 goals per game.  That's ridiculous.  In his debut season, he played 14 games and kicked 71.57.  That's over 9 shots on goal per game, including one bag of 11.8!!  

Seems like a shocking waste of talent.

Watch this goal (the second one):

http://youtu.be/SKSJTLXhWtE

Just looked up Jako on AFL tables and then Wiki.  He played just over 50 games and averaged just shy of 4 goals per game.  That's ridiculous.  In his debut season, he played 14 games and kicked 71.57.  That's over 9 shots on goal per game, including one bag of 11.8!!  

Seems like a shocking waste of talent.

It was. Seriously, as good as he was, Glen Jakovich, dual AA CHB, and about the only guy who could break even (or there abouts) with Carey on a regular basis, was the less talented of the two. And by a fair margin. Alan Jakovich, although a different type of player, was in the G Ablett snr class of "freak show"