Should clubs enforce the AFL Player Contract?

How many AFL Player Contract joe kick

You'd end up with more Cam McCarthy's.

Ahem! I won’t make any comment on McCarthy in particular. I would start making comments and expect to be supported.

If Mitchell just refused to play in a contract year, surely he’s voiding his contract. I assume there’s a clause saying you need to present yourself to play, unless injured.

Contracts seem only to benefit the players, i.e. He’s guaranteed to be paid if he presents himself. You can’t delist him without paying out the contract. That frequently happens.

Even if injured you would need to follow a rehab program as required by the club.

If you don’t turn up to work, you don’t get paid…

YES

The players association have pretty much got everything they have wanted.
Their whole argument of “employers should get to choose where they work” is completely misguided.

1. Any person that enters the AFL draft is applying for a position to be employed as an Profesional athlete with the AFL. They enter the draft under the AFL guidelines that they will go where ever they are chosen in the draft. If you don’t agree with these guidelines and want to live in particular city or state, then don’t play AFL.

2. With expansion, equalisation, AFL hand outs to clubs, AFL 'fix’turing. The administration and running of a Club Is now influenced/coerced/controlled/maintained by the AFL. Clubs are a Branch or unit of the AFL system. Which makes players employees of the AFL.
    So this idea of the players should be able to ‘choose their work place’, is bullsh*t. The AFL employ them, they’ve chosen their employment, and that’s to play AFL football. Don’t like it, don’t play.

IMO we should be looking at something similar to a American baseball model.

Any player that is under contract can be traded without the players consent. The contract is owned by the club, the club can choose what to do with that contract.

Then when a player is out of contract, they can go through the similar trade process to what we currently have.

It’s time to take contracts seriously.

I raised this question during trade radio but don’t think it got answered

Basically I said with players breaking contracts demanding trades should the AFL enforce players under contract to name at least 2-3 clubs to be traded too?

This way at least 2 clubs enter a bidding war and the old club doesn’t get screwed (Crameri, Ryder). There is no doubt that if the current system stays whats stopping 1st year draftees saying they are home sick and getting to the club of their choice for unders.

To stop this happening i propose that 1st-6th (non free agents) have to nominate multiple clubs, Their is at least 2 in each state so no whining about not going home

It needs to be addressed ASAP, It’s gotten worse with players such as Lin Jong getting tours at Collingwood mid season. However those in power will only take action once it starts happening to their baby clubs GWS & GC

I won’t complain if it benefits us next year

Darcy Parish get in your former teammates ears and tell them to head down to Essendon town next season

PS as much as we despise Carlton you have to be somewhat impressed the way they are handling the stance on Gibbs, Hopefully players will start to think twice about this sort of stuff

If anything players should be on year to year contracts or even maximum 3 year contracts. It removes uploading, de-loading, side loading, etc on contracts and consequently removed what is effectively salary cap rotting with players given giant contracts that their current club(who may be worse off) cannot match. The lure won’t be there if they can’t pay them.

While opportunity is a reason to move, a lot of players are moving more for money.

The Tom Boyd, Buddy contracts will have big ramification on the clubs if they have periods where they struggle.

But you can’t force someone to stay, but it shouldn’t be so easy for them to leave as Deckham and some other have mentioned.

If Mitchell just refused to play in a contract year, surely he's voiding his contract. I assume there's a clause saying you need to present yourself to play, unless injured.

Contracts seem only to benefit the players, i.e. He’s guaranteed to be paid if he presents himself. You can’t delist him without paying out the contract. That frequently happens.

If you don’t like your job, do you still give it a true 100% effort?

We are the wrong club to ask that question. How are you Paddy?

Good, the more that happens the less likely players will do it.

1 Like

As I’ve always said, players should be allowed to break contracts if they wish but clubs should also be allowed to trade a player to where ever they wish providing the players current contract terms are at least met

1 Like

These ■■■■■■■ “suggested topics” are ■■■■■■■■ me!!!

This from F1 and the RB owner:

“As far as I know, and as long as I have been in Red Bull, the driver doesn’t decide what they are doing with the contract. It is up to the boss and they make the decisions.”