Skiing in Victoria

That's no good.
I know.

The whole thing hasn’t burned down, just bits of it.

It’s cheaper to fly to Japan for a couple of weeks than use Victorian (or Australian for that matter) ski rip off venues. Snow’s much better in Japan as well.

Hotham or Falls creek?

Skiing and possibly some nice day treks.

And where would one stay if one wanted a romantic couply type of cabin?

I go to Falls more than Hotham nowadays, but that’s mostly because I stay at a place in Mt Beauty that makes it very cost effective for my family and I. There are plenty of BnB options in either Bright for Hotham or Mt Beauty for Falls, but concur with tinhill about Dinner Plain if you want to stay on mountain. There are plenty of apartments or lodges, it just depends on how much you are willing to tolerate hearing the folks next door snore or doing other stuff. There is the convenience of being right there for the snow, but there are less eating, shopping, spa, etc options than down in the towns. It wil take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes to reach the respective mountains from either town, depending on the weight of your right foot and the moronity of the other drivers on the road (add another 30-50 minutes if you want to go to Hotham from Mt Beauty or Falls from Bright - but the flip side is the passes for each are interchangeable - if you get a multi-day lift ticket you can use it at either mountain for no extra charge. I recommend looking at what multi-day options are on offer before you go).

If you hire any gear in Mt Beauty, I recommend Skiplus on the main road just past the bus depot. They always look after us and throw in chains and toboggans for a few days free when we hire gear for the kids.

There are also plenty of good wineries in the area, as well as a few breweries (one in each of Bright and Mt Beauty), so plenty of day-trip, open-fire, chill-out options available. the drive from Melbourne can also be planned with wineries and gourmet food stuff as well (Brown Brothers, Milawa cheese, Myrtleford (Mitchellini and Boyntons wineries); the list goes on). Both towns have tourism offices and there are plenty of websites with info, so get into it.

Amazing. thank you. Looking into Dinner plain, as something quieter(within reason) and closer will work. Did not think about the wineries so suddenly this looks like a bonus weekend.

Random question(possible naive for someone that doesn’t go that often)

• Tires and driving up the mountain?
  • Also, storage of skis in the car? If one has a sedan.
  • Best time to go(was thinking mid-June)

I second that.*

*good snow in Japan + chance to get to get naked with G Studley Cornes in Onsen

Hotham or Falls creek?

I go to Falls more than Hotham nowadays, but that’s mostly because I stay at a place in Mt Beauty that makes it very cost effective for my family and I. There are plenty of BnB options in either Bright for Hotham or Mt Beauty for Falls, but concur with tinhill about Dinner Plain if you want to stay on mountain. There are plenty of apartments or lodges, it just depends on how much you are willing to tolerate hearing the folks next door snore or doing other stuff. There is the convenience of being right there for the snow, but there are less eating, shopping, spa, etc options than down in the towns. It wil take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes to reach the respective mountains from either town, depending on the weight of your right foot and the moronity of the other drivers on the road (add another 30-50 minutes if you want to go to Hotham from Mt Beauty or Falls from Bright - but the flip side is the passes for each are interchangeable - if you get a multi-day lift ticket you can use it at either mountain for no extra charge. I recommend looking at what multi-day options are on offer before you go).

If you hire any gear in Mt Beauty, I recommend Skiplus on the main road just past the bus depot. They always look after us and throw in chains and toboggans for a few days free when we hire gear for the kids.

There are also plenty of good wineries in the area, as well as a few breweries (one in each of Bright and Mt Beauty), so plenty of day-trip, open-fire, chill-out options available. the drive from Melbourne can also be planned with wineries and gourmet food stuff as well (Brown Brothers, Milawa cheese, Myrtleford (Mitchellini and Boyntons wineries); the list goes on). Both towns have tourism offices and there are plenty of websites with info, so get into it.

Amazing. thank you. Looking into Dinner plain, as something quieter(within reason) and closer will work. Did not think about the wineries so suddenly this looks like a bonus weekend.

Don’t worry too much about tyres. It’s mandatory to carry chains which can be hired pretty much everywhere in either Bright or Mt Beauty. The hire place will make sure you have the right size chains and will show you how to fit them. It’s very rare you have to fit chains in Australia, but if you do it usually means it has snowed a decent amount overnight, so silver linings and all that. If you do have to actually fit chains I recommend having a couple of garbage bags and a towel in the boot as you’ll have to fit them in a chain bay area which is usually filthy slush by the time you arrive, so it’s good to have something waterproof to kneel on and then a towel to wipe the slush off. Don’t panic, and don’t forget your towel!

If you have a sedan that you can fold the middle seat down in the back, you can just put your skis through the boot into the cabin, depending on the size of the car and the skis. Otherwise, roof-racks are the way to go. You could always have them hanging out the window I suppose, but it will make for a cold drive up the hill. The other option is to wait until you get onto the hill and then hire your gear from there. I can’t make any recommendations here as I have never hired on the hill at either Falls or Hotham, but there are a few places on each that you can go to. I’m not sure, but you can probably get gear hire, lift pass and lessons packages if you use the hire places in the official mountain centres (check the repsective mountain websites for that).

If you stay at Dinner Plain, there are free shuttle busses that will take you from there to Hotham central, so you don’t need to worry about transporting skis and equipment once you’re up there. From memory they run pretty much constantly, so it’s an excellent option for getting around without have to cart your stuff everywhere whilst walking in the slush on the side of the main road.

Best time to go can vary wildly, depending on the weather and conditions. Avoid school holidays where possible, and try to go mid-week for even less crowds. June is normally pretty weak in Australia, so I would recommend July-August as the time to aim for.

It's cheaper to fly to Japan for a couple of weeks than use Victorian (or Australian for that matter) ski rip off venues. Snow's much better in Japan as well.
Agreed, same with most other countries. NZ used to be brilliant for this, but the exchange rate isn't as good as it used to be. There are some great package deals for OS snow holidays, it's just a matter of getting a solid block of time to go (particluarly with kids in school now).

I make the Falls/Hotham thing work as my family are members of a ski club that hire a little bungalow in Mt Beauty each year that can sleep 8 adults and has room for about another 6 people on the floor. It costs us $80 per year and we can use the place as often as we can book in (depending on availability). I have never had any problem getting mid-week accomodation there and we just plan ahead for the weekends. This means I can drive up for 2-3 days at a time for quick trips and the accomodation is always there (pretty basic, but it has what you need). I buy a season pass that gets me onto both Hotham and Falls during the early bird special at the end of the previous season, so it only costs about $780 instead of the $1500 you would pay right now. With single day lift tickets being a ridiculous $120, I have to go 7 times to be in front and most years I’ll probably get 10-14 days on the hill. I also have my own car chains (I bought excellent ex-hire chains from Skiplus in Mt Beauty for about the same as it costs for the dodgy Aldi chains), my own board and clothes, so I don’t need to hire anything. I take my own lunch up the hill to avoid the ridiculous prices, and I’m set.

I’d rather go to Japan or back to Canada and the US, and would love to try Switzerland, but they just aren’t practical options for every year. We are thinking about a family package deal for Japan for next year though.

Hotham or Falls creek?

I used to ski for many years (mainly Hotham, as it generally has the most snow & best advanced runs) & I narrowed it down to the first 2 weeks of August as a general rule.
And mid week is so much better then weekends too.

Legends the lot of you. Thank your for that. Found out we know people up the mountain so we have somewhere to stay. Will check out the hire place @Furious George the monkey recommended and I think the skis in the car should be fine.

Currently planning mid-July and Hotham. Might need lessons and also tire chains. Also thinking of stopping by spas nearby.

Really looking forward to it. If there are any good breweries or cheese places nearby to check out let me know.

If you’re going through Bright to Hotham, the brewery is pretty good for a drink.

I think Milawa had a cheese place but it’s a slight detour, or have to take the side roads from the freeway to Bright.

If you're going through Bright to Hotham, the brewery is pretty good for a drink.

I think Milawa had a cheese place but it’s a slight detour, or have to take the side roads from the freeway to Bright.

last time i went through bright, 5 years ago i think. They had this awesome pie place.

Skiing or 'boarding?

If you're going through Bright to Hotham, the brewery is pretty good for a drink.

last time i went through bright, 5 years ago i think. They had this awesome pie place.

Bright…

I think Bright has 2 bakeries. One of them is always very busy though, the one on the Main Street going up the hill away from the roundabout on the right.

The fish and chip shop has been either amazing or terrible, depending on when I’ve eaten there in the last 15 years. Currently it’s quite bad.

There’s a restaurant called 13 Steps which is in a cellar under the footpath which is really nice, and another Japanese place which has a chefs hat, I think it’s called Thani.

The ice cream shop is very popular also. For breakfast there’s a place beside the river/bridge/brewery called Ginger Baker which is really good, and another one called Coral Lee which is also very good, it’s also in the Main Street up the hill from the roundabout, on the left.

There’s one or two pubs here that both look like the least inviting seedy pubs you’ll ever come across in a touristy town.

If you take a little detour to Wandiligong, apparently the pub has had a big makeover and it’s got great food.

Porepunkah has one tiny cafe/milk bar that seats about 8 people. serves great coffee and a couple of breakfast burritos, I think they close over winter tho.

Can’t say much about the ski resort F&B places. Good places go bad, bad places just go broke, then change their name. I do hear that Dinner plain if the place to stay, and I reckon I’ve had good Japanese there.

Legends the lot of you. Thank your for that. Found out we know people up the mountain so we have somewhere to stay. Will check out the hire place @Furious George the monkey recommended and I think the skis in the car should be fine.

Currently planning mid-July and Hotham. Might need lessons and also tire chains. Also thinking of stopping by spas nearby.

Really looking forward to it. If there are any good breweries or cheese places nearby to check out let me know.

If you’re going to Hotham then forget about the hire place in Mt Beauty, it’s well out of the way.

If you follow the Great Alpine Rd (B500) you’ll pass Milawa and Myrtleford, so you’ll see plenty of signs for wineries, the cheese place, breweries, etc. You literally can’t miss them unless you have your eyes closed (not recommended whilst driving).

Chains have to be carried, so get them and make sure they show you how to fit them, even though it’s unlikely you’ll need them. I highly recommend a lesson if you have either never skiied or if it’s been a while. Helps you find your feet quicker and sets you up for the rest of your time on the hill. Check what it costs to have a lesson as part of your lift ticket.

Check out the tourism office in Bright, they have plenty of local info, including the local beer/cider trail. Apparently my wife’s cousin runs an alpaca farm around there, but we’ve never actually been. Apparently chicks dig that sort of stuff.

How did the Aldi ski gear frenzy go? Blood in the aisles?

Am at Coolangatta. Aldi store on 1st floor were on 6th floor wife got there at 7.45 am .fifty people in front of her.lots of back packers buying jackets.
back in Victoria Monday
we didn’t come up here for Aldi in case you were wondering
PS mate said we could stay at his holiday house at Byron next time we come up he lives at Palm Beach Gold Coast.

I went to the Aldi at Summer Hill in Bundoora. It was much quieter than last year, probably about 35 people there when it opened, as opposed to about 75 last year. Got my snowboard pants and then a couple of sets of thermals for the kids and missus. Head to toe Aldi now. Kinda sad, but good value!

So we're almost at that time of the year again. The resorts had a dusting of snow last night, but it will disappear pretty quickly before the winter proper starts. I've started some tentative discussions with the wife about a possible Japan snow trip at the start of next year, but will have to play a few cards right before that gets any serious traction.

The annual Aldi snow sale is on this Saturday. If you want any reasonable snow gear for not much money, this is your chance. But if you want a jacket or pants in adult sizes, get there early. Like waiting out the front before they open early, or you will miss out. The last few years I’ve seen up to 100-150 people out the front of the Aldi in the Greensborough shopping plaza and it gets crazy really quickly once they open. My recommendation is to go to one of the stores not in a plaza! Some people will scoff at the quality of the Aldi gear, but I have found it really good and a fraction of the price of bigger brand-name stuff ($60 Aldi snowboard jacket to replace my $350 Helly Hansen jacket from 10 years ago).

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/snow-gear-sat-14-may/

I’ve had absolutely no issues with any of Aldi’s gear. Having said that, through a few warehouse / factory clearance type sales over the last few years most of my Aldi gear has been replaced with much higher quality stuff (for about the same cost). The only thing I would consider investing in is a good pair of goggles. I noticed a massive difference between the Aldi ones and a good quality pair.

You can’t argue with a good deal. I got the Aldi goggles last year and have loved them so far. The lenses are super-easy to change and the nose bridge is the perfect shape for my crooked nose. All the other goggles I’ve had have let air in thanks to my crooked schnoz, but the Aldi ones work perfectly and only cost $15.

Anyhoo, I don’t work for Aldi, so I’ll quit banging on about the place. Let it snow!

Fair enough, they’ve probably improved since I got them (must have been nearly 10 years ago).