Sleep paralysis

Anyone had it? I had it last night. Fk me. Legit the scariest thing thats ever happened in my life

I had it. Woke up from a nap and couldn’t move. Could feel my heart beating through my chest though, and I was freaking out majorly.

I had it once and I had heard of it before I'd had it so I had more of a wow this is kinda crazy awe of it rather than a freak out moment.

More scary for me is when I do stuff in my sleep that I am completely unaware of, stuff that my wife tells me about the next day.

Get off the Stilnox!

Had to look up what this was. That Grant Hackett thing was freaky.

I had it once and I had heard of it before I'd had it so I had more of a wow this is kinda crazy awe of it rather than a freak out moment.

More scary for me is when I do stuff in my sleep that I am completely unaware of, stuff that my wife tells me about the next day.

Get off the Stilnox!

If you can get beyond being freaked out by it, lucid dreaming is simply amazing. You know you are asleep, and you know you are dreaming, and you know you can control EVERYTHING. The feeling of falling and flying becomes very real, but controllable.

I had it once and I had heard of it before I’d had it so I had more of a wow this is kinda crazy awe of it rather than a freak out moment.

Too true Davo.

I suffered pretty badly from anxiety this time two years ago. So many dreams about demons and possession and intruders and the like and used to jolt straight up in bed most nights because I felt like I had forgotten how to breathe.

But one night I was struggling to hold my bed sheets up to my chest because there was a beast (I assume as I couldn’t see anything) sitting on the end of bed with so much force it was dragging my bed sheets off me. Pretty scary experience. As were most things that were happening during that time.

If you suffer from anxiety/depression seek professional help. Glad I did. Felt strange at first talking to someone I didn’t know because I’m a pretty closed off person and thought psychologists were quacks but after a while I got more comfortable and the horrible dreams and feelings etc stopped.

All of it stemming from stress. Worst thing you can do is stress. It destroys you.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
The only thing I have had a similar experience with is whilst being in a dream, realising I am dreaming and not being able to physically wake up no matter how hard I try.

From reading up on sleep paralysis they sound similar but I think mine falls into the category of “lucid dreaming” rather than “sleep paralysis” as I only remember trying to try and open my eyes rather than moving any other part of my body as far as I know/remember. Plus I wasn’t in the process of actually waking up and after a while just accepted it and went back to sleep somehow.

Was still ■■■■■■ terrifying though and I am glad it only happened the once.

August 2013, right around when Hird and the club were being sanctioned, l had to go into a local hospital fro surgery. When l came out of surgery l was still under anesthetic, but l could feel l was being moved. So l existed in a half awake, half under state for quite a while, perhaps an hour, with some weird dreams going on.

In the end l remember thinking consciously to myself, while still under, if that makes sense, ‘Okay them l refuse to wake up.’ At that stage l decided it wasn’t such a good idea to go on dreaming forever, and had to make an effort to wake myself up / come out of the anesthetic. A bit scary at the time, because you wonder how close you got to stay in a permanent sleep state.

Is this the same thing?

Possibly. I’m no expert but in my case I wasn’t under any anaesthetic or taking any prescription medication at the time.

Quoted Post

Did you get the full-on "intruder or evil presence" impression?

Not from what I recall, no.

I wasn’t scared that something would happen to me whilst I was in this “coma” I guess you could call it, I was more terrified that I would never be able to wake up again as nothing seemed to work.

Quoted Post

The only thing I have had a similar experience with is whilst being in a dream, realising I am dreaming and not being able to physically wake up no matter how hard I try.

From reading up on sleep paralysis they sound similar but I think mine falls into the category of “lucid dreaming” rather than “sleep paralysis” as I only remember trying to try and open my eyes rather than moving any other part of my body as far as I know/remember. Plus I wasn’t in the process of actually waking up and after a while just accepted it and went back to sleep somehow.

August 2013, right around when Hird and the club were being sanctioned, l had to go into a local hospital fro surgery. When l came out of surgery l was still under anesthetic, but l could feel l was being moved. So l existed in a half awake, half under state for quite a while, perhaps an hour, with some weird dreams going on.

In the end l remember thinking consciously to myself, while still under, if that makes sense, ‘Okay them l refuse to wake up.’ At that stage l decided it wasn’t such a good idea to go on dreaming forever, and had to make an effort to wake myself up / come out of the anesthetic. A bit scary at the time, because you wonder how close you got to stay in a permanent sleep state.

Is this the same thing?

Did you get the full-on “intruder or evil presence” impression?

I used to experience that after watching “Play Misty for Me” and lying in bed next to my lunatic first Wife.

She would move, I would just freeze waiting for her to stab me with the carving knife.

I got over my fear when I left her, moved interstate and changed my name.

I’ve never heard of or experienced this.

HTFU people.

Maybe you should sleep with the lights on?

Is this the same as lucid dreaming? That’s cool.

Yep. Freakish.

I had it happen to me a couple of times last year. ■■■■■■■ terrifying.