Smythesdale vs Gordon

Quote from dreadlocked Smythesdale player…
"Yeah, it was a tough day at the office… "

Quote from Gordon player who kicked 19:
“To their credit, they kept coming at us…”

:open_mouth:

Worst day I ever had as a footballer was against Dederang-Mt Beauty (The Bombers, FFS)

We lost 44.16.280 to 7.2.44.

Our fullback had 19 kicked on him, our CHB had 12 kicked on him. Both were named in our best players…

I can sympathise with Smythesdale.

FLOOD

Must have our forward line set up

They would beat Carlton. And so would Gordon.

Pretty average effort from Gordo, should’ve won by 500+. Obviously weren’t switched on…

Pretty average effort from Gordo, should've won by 500+. Obviously weren't switched on...

22 behinds. Bad kicking is bad football.

I once played for a team that was so consistently bad that C10 did a story on us.

Rumour has it that Carlton have signed up the coach. Of Smythesdale.

Is it possible that Gordon is just the guy running the scoreboard and is putting up his home digits for the ladeez?

I remember playing U18 at Sth Morangs ground in winter. The fog was that thick you couldn’t see past half way. I was back pocket. It came down twice in the game. I think we kicked 30 goals. No one really knew the final score.

Some days are like that…

He he… 69

I played reserves at Gordon back about 99/2000 in the Central Highlands Football League.
We won one game for the year, the seniors won only a few games.
Smythsdale used to be Illabrook in the Lexton Plains football league but it was shut down about 4 years ago, but changed to Smythsdale as they moved to a new home ground and wanted to have identity with the local town.
The Lexton Plains football league was seen as the weakest league in the Ballarat and surrounding area.
They were very good in that league back then.

Just on a side note, I spent 1992 in Townsville, and played under 16’s and reserves for a side called the Hermit Park Tigers.
Our senior side consisted of a lot of army blokes. During the season they left for a huge army exercise in Darwin. Basically our reserves had to also play seniors and we were strugglng for numbers as it was.
They played the top side and lost in very similar scores to what Smythsdale did.
It was 69.26.440 to 1.1.7. The full forward kicked 21 and the CHF kicked 18.
Over the next month we slowly started to get the army guys back, but as there was only 4 teams in that competition, we played them 3 weeks later with a slightly improved side player wise, and went down by 276 points, with their full forward snagging another 21 against us.
I did my hat to every one of those Smythsdale guys who will continue to front up week in week out. Gordon were strugging even 4 years ago ,but have had some huge wins this season and will go close to going all the way this year on current form.

Under 16’s in the Omeo District Football League… If you took out the games vs Benambra (we won one, they won one - only team we were competitive with), I think we kicked 3 goals for the whole year.

A couple years prior we won the granny. Few years after same deal. Small towns tend to have kids in waves…

After the first 10 goals I would of put every man into the defensive 50 and taken my chances with ball up after ball up

Under 16's in the Omeo District Football League… If you took out the games vs Benambra (we won one, they won one - only team we were competitive with), I think we kicked 3 goals for the whole year.

A couple years prior we won the granny. Few years after same deal. Small towns tend to have kids in waves…

Lol.

3 goals all year.

Under 16's in the Omeo District Football League… If you took out the games vs Benambra (we won one, they won one - only team we were competitive with), I think we kicked 3 goals for the whole year.

Lol.

3 goals all year.

Nah we played Benambra twice and both sides kicked a bunch. But yeah, other than that, around 3 goals :slight_smile:

I was the oldest kid on the team, tallest at 6’ by a couple of inches, and it was my first ever season of footy - didn’t know the rules, could kick it 50m straight up in the air but not very far forward, etc. We had an 8 year old, and a handful more under 10. Our average age would have been 12. Teams like Omeo or Bruthen had more than one guy over or around 6’ and an average age probably closer to 14/15. We still had fun though, and the coach pressuring me into playing that year was close to the best thing that ever happened to me.

@Zebba I’ve been in Omeo in June/July

Props to you for even showing up for a game of junior footy in Omeo.

@Zebba I've been in Omeo in June/July

Props to you for even showing up for a game of junior footy in Omeo.

It was snowing at Omeo and Benambra during the game a few times. Indeed, games at Benambra that ground was often frozen and getting tackled was like getting driven into concrete. And the ball was hard as a rock. Still loved playing in Benambra though - the locals were always very good towards us when we visited.