So... should we mock those who wouldn't make plans for September?

We said the same thing about Carlton in 2011 and they embarrassed us

Carlton did thump us by 10 goals plus during that season, so them thumping is in that final wasn’t out of nowhere.

All things being equal I don’t think we can beat Richmond, but on the other hand it is Richmond… In a final.

I’m pretty sure a win would still mean some would go on about how ■■■■ we played and how we didn’t deserve it, how crap Freo played, they didn’t want it, and how we’re going to be smashed in the 1st final because that’s what’s always happened, etc etc etc

2 Likes

Again, remember when we were favourites against Brisbane last year?

This week is no guarantee. Not even close.

1 Like

We’ve probably been favourites in at least half the games we’ve played.

That is not the issue

It’s simple, kick straight and we win handsomely next week.

I put myself through most of Freo vs Richmond. The Dockers looked disinterested by halftime, Lyon has lost their ear.

2 Likes

People would go on about how we’ll get smashed in the first final… After we win the first final?

3 Likes

Got me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s just focus on getting the win this week then you blokes can fill the week 1 finals thread with all your whining.

4 Likes

All comes down to accuracy, we kick straight and it’s 3 100 point losses on the trot for Ross the Toss

Sooo much this.

If we get there, you’ve got two weeks to argue over optimism and pessimism leading into the finals.

… although in hindsight, the thread title probably lends itself to that sort of discussion. Carry on.

North 2014 wasn’t an embarrassment.

Carlton in 2011 was. Adelaide a few years earlier was too. Both of those teams were shot physically leading into the finals.

We are in better shape this year. We are still underdogs to get a win against anyone in a final.

2 Likes

Richmond (the team most think we are a good chance against in finals) just smacked Freo by 100 in WA.
If we don’t beat Freo here by at least 10 goals, then a disappointing finals series is on the cards.

Regardless, I hope the younger players get to experience finals intensity and learn to play with that same level of intensity more often.

2 Likes

It was, just a different type.

On this occasion we were good enough, against a soft opponent, and we still couldn’t get the job done.

3 Likes

And then there is the bye. Will be a huge benefit for us.

Flags in the bag.

6 Likes

So we can start to think about finals - I have confidence that we’ll do the job on Sunday.
A few comments here about our players folding under pressure and the like.

Given that it’s a generally accepted truism that finals pressure is different to any other, I thought I’d go through the team, loosely based on Saturdays.

No finals track record; McGrath, Begley, Parish, Walla, Hartley, Ambrose, Conor, Laverde, Green/ Fanta, Stewart
Proven finals performers; Kelly, Goddard, Bird?
Proven in our last final (2014); Hepp, Hurley, Daniher (4 goals) - (Colyer & Jobe were also named in our best but not outstanding in the second half)

So it’s a very long bow to say that individual players can’t handle finals pressure - you’re really only talking about Zak, a baby at the time, Zaha, Myers, Bags, and Belly &Hooker (who weren’t disgraced in '14)

Indeed it’s one of the things I’m most looking forward to, win, lose or draw - who will stand up and perform better in a Final?
So long as it’s not just the old blokes we’ll gain more than we lose whatever happens.

4 Likes

I agree that ‘who steps up’ is probably the most interesting aspect of our potential finals campaign.

(Just on what you’ve said above, Jobe being in the bests in 2014 was pretty generous. He didn’t have a great game, nor did he in 2011, or 2009.)

Big Joe Daniher though… He stepped up in a final well before he’d really come of age, and considering how well he has played in most big games this year… He’s pretty much the key.

I’d expect Goddard and Kelly to be vitally important (Goddard will bust his ass off for us in a final) but it’s the younger guys who will make or break it.

Can Tippa, Mckenna, Parish, McGrath etc. Put their hand up in a big final? Let’s hope so.

11 Likes

I remember leaving the game absolutely deflated with our experienced players and their lack of ability to be effective in finals.
But was happy to see the promise of Daniher and Merrett, and really lead the way in a final. Even when their experienced team mates crumbled under the pressure.

McGrath’s clean hands will be critical in the finals. IMO was the reason we settled down in the second half against Gold Coast.
I think your right that the likes of Daniher, McGrath, Parrish, Tippa and Fantasia will need to step up because we simply can’t rely on the older guys when they’ve constantly failed in finals matches.

2 Likes

So, the most likely scenario at this stage, if all results go as expected, would be week one finals of: Port (5th) v Ess (8th), Syd (6th) v Melb (7th)?

I could definitely live with that.