So... should we mock those who wouldn't make plans for September?

It’s a massive shame if we don’t play finals as this is the first year I can remember in a long time where I’m genuinely excited by the prospect of playing finals. A final adainst Richmond Friday night at the G would be epic and I’d give us a fair shot of winning.

09, 11 and 14 I didn’t feel that way. It was clear we were just making up numbers going in and the floggings we got weren’t unsurprising. 13 was telegraphed a mile out we weren’t playing so I never got excited that year.

I’ll be pretty flat if we don’t make it, knowing we may have done some damage if we did.

2 Likes

Loved the mental backflips macclure was going through to deny duck’s assertion that theres a set of rules for good players and another one for the rest.

1 Like

actually ■■■■ this show.

darcy wants 9 points for torps outside 50 that go through goals.

1 Like

I will be at the game so more than likely this

10 Likes

We have the best shaped list for the run home. Laverde is literally ripping the door down and to be honest the last few games we were two easy set shots missed away from ending it 15 minutes into the second quarter.

What team can rest one of it’s two best midfielders and walks away with a 10 goal win?

North should be easily put down, Dogs are without Stringer for a 3 weeks, the boys owe FC a belting, GC are rubbish, Freo won’t win without home town umpires and Adelaide will show us a measuring stick of how we could go if we do make it. Out of all the teams runs home I’d take ours first and St Kilda’s last, we’re in a pretty good position after the fixture was pretty ordinary for us in the start of the year.

There are a few players expected to have break out games and our stars are all in form. I’d rate us as a high chance to win all of our last few games but 2, possibly drop the adelaide game and we’re guaranteed at least one essington performance.

If the boys are staying true to their rehearsed media speeches, we’re just aiming to be better quarter by quarter, and if this is true, pencil us in to knock Richmond out of the finals in September.

I also like that Jobe got to watch us dismantle an opponent from the coaches box, how good is that knowledge going into the final stretch.

3 Likes

also

James ■■■■■■■ Kelly.

2 Likes

“So Tim, why do you think the Saints played such a shocker?”
“Yes Moons, the Bombers were in scintillating form the other night…”

7 Likes

Wished Essington didn’t exist and we were talking about 4 percentage boosters out of our last 6

We should have the best or second best % (with sydney) out of those 7 teams fighting for 4 spots come seasons end which may be very important

On current form, Adelaide and Sydney (and perhaps Geelong). The rest have been up and down.

1 Like

This year reminds me of 1981 when Essendon with a new coach from outside the club started badly then won 15 straight. Unfortunately went out 1st week of finals.

Arguably we are one of the top3 form sides at present & we have a full list.
Good chance we’ll win all 6.
Adelaide will depend on whether they have sealed a top2 spot & rest a few.

Essington has been delisted for 2017.

5 Likes

So we’re only going to win one game then?

1 Like

Before we play North / After we lose to North

4 Likes

Then we go on to beat the dogs, Carlton and crows on the trot to get everyone excited again!

Then blow the last two rounds to finish ninth.

2 Likes

I get the feeling that quite a few of you lot will be satisfied if we do blow the opportunities. Just because you’re a bunch of flogs.

But then, we beat North and you’ll all be back here saying “I knew we’d beat that lot, but we’ll lose to the Dogs…for sure”

Rinse and repeat, until we do lose one.

Biggest worry for me is that some of the commentators are analysing the way we play and by extension, so are opposition coaching staffs. On The Couch reckon coaches will start tagging Zaka because he’s the one getting us started.

That’s what we’ve got to get through, and that’s nothing to do with Essington.

For me, I reckon we’ll drop one of next year’s pre-season games.

18 Likes

I don’t think any of us want to drop games. We just don’t want to get our hopes up too far. Particularly not as far as September yet.

3 Likes

Not saying all of you…but the Essington brigade do.

2 Likes

your equally as big of a flog if you actually believe any Essendon supporter wants their team to lose. Not that I use the term very often, but Whether someone describes something as essington or not doesn’t mean their a flog, it’s a light hearted joke at that people are that used to typical terrible performances at the worst time (Brisbane game). But I think everyone’s used to you sooking about everything possible anyway

8 Likes

It’s interesting to consider whether Zerret or zaka are more important to the midfield atm. Certainly if you let both run riot you are on a hiding to nothing. Personally I think Zerret is far more damaging but arguably tbell is our most important mid right now.

I guess the thing is we have a number of players who can accumulate and link up. Jobe, Bj, hepp, parish and Stanton (if he was paying) can all run around the midfield wracking up touches at will to get our ball movement going. Obviously not all as are incisive with ball in hand as Zerret is though.

Just on zaka I reckon he has really toughened up and is accepting much more contact lately, pushing to get to the ball first even when contact is likely. It’s good to see and makes him a completely different proposition. Hope he keeps it up.

2 Likes

I was amused after the last couple of games.

Comments were that we needed to beat Collingwood after the Lions loss to redeem ourselves as a playing side.

They won…which was followed with

We need to now back this up against a top side like the Saints.

We won…followed immediately by some who then said in the match review thread

Now we need to back this up against North to make up for the Lions loss.

So if they win against Norf what will be said then?

If we lose you know exactly what will be said.

2 Likes