Some people really are stupid

http://www.news.com.au/technology/smartphones/fake-apple-ad-tricks-users-into-destroying-their-iphones/story-fn6vihic-1226726845235

881937-86eb3ea2-2589-11e3-abe3-b1f1d77b1

A FAKE Apple advertisement has fooled users into destroying their iPhones by claiming the iOS 7 software update makes the devices waterproof.

“Update to iOS 7 and become waterproof,” the spoof ad reads.

“In an emergency, a smart-switch will shut off the phone‘s power supply and corresponding components to prevent any damage to your iPhone‘s delicate circuitry.”

That‘s complete nonsense, of course. But the image, which has been circulating on social media since originating on 4chan, looks just like a real Apple advertisement.

Some users have fallen for the trick and dunked their phones in water, breaking them in the process, The Independent reports.

Their fellow iPhone users weren‘t exactly sympathetic.

That may be a little harsh. But take note Apple users, the iOS 7 update does NOT make your iPhone or iPad waterproof. Keep your devices dry.

READ MORE

I guess I should have read all of the op before I tried that with my Ipad.

I guess I should have read all of the op before I tried that with my Ipad.

I bet you're spitting chips now.

I'll try it again, maybe I didn't do it right the first time. :wacko:

I don't see any probelm with humiliating people who do this.

But they will be making us laugh with their eventual entires into the Darwin Award listings.

I find the same thing with people who respond to phishing scam emails. How many times do people need to be told?

But they will be making us laugh with their eventual entires into the Darwin Award listings.

I find the same thing with people who respond to phishing scam emails. How many times do people need to be told?

My mum works in a bank, so I hear these stories nearly daily. Incredible.

I actually got an email from Vasili (must have been linked via BB somehow) saying that his mother was sick in India and needed surgery blah blah blah. Unfortunately, some people will believe anything. It could be due to language barrier, lack of education, state of mind, or simply just plain dumb.

Some of the older people, I feel sorry for them. But those between the ages of 16 and 40, nope, no sympathy.

iDunk

I was going to try it again then I received this awesome email from someone in Nigeria and I got sidetracked.

Pretty sure there was a 'microwave proof' version of this scam a couple of years ago.

My mum works in a bank, so I hear these stories nearly daily. Incredible.
I actually got an email from Vasili (must have been linked via BB somehow) saying that his mother was sick in India and needed surgery blah blah blah. Unfortunately, some people will believe anything. It could be due to language barrier, lack of education, state of mind, or simply just plain dumb.
Some of the older people, I feel sorry for them. But those between the ages of 16 and 40, nope, no sympathy.
■■■, me too!

Unsure if spelling errors are jokes or not...

Unsure if spelling errors are jokes or not...
Shut up!

Must be an iOS7 thing...

Must be an iOS7 thing...

Firefox on Windows with no spell-checker

Must be an iOS7 thing...

Firefox on Windows with no spell-checker

Firefox on Windows does have spell-checker.

Noonan probably has it disabled because he already knows how to spell everything.

And a guy called Vasili has an Indian mother? Very multicultural.

Noonan probably has it disabled because he already knows how to spell everything.

But then he soon made some spelling mistakes. I think we've discovered his secret!

Whatever happened to Vasili?

And he is very good with apostrophe's. Isnt that right, Noonan?