Something doesn’t add up

Or rather, how some claim that.

I completely agree with these initiatives.

Sorry, but why on earth wouldn’t you be considering risks at every pick? Every pick has a risk and reward equation, and should be considered in that light. As does every potential draftee.

We’re taking risks. We’re just possibly not taking the risks that people here would prefer we take.

So @Speedy_Gonzales and @aboods, what you seem to be saying is either (a) you know better than the drafting team, or (b) you prefer us to recruit indigenous players over winning premierships. Is that correct?

Because you seem to be saying that we should take players our recruiting team rate as less chance to make it, which would be expected to hurt our premiership chances.

1 Like

And this is where we disagree with you.

There is elite players later in the draft which we are overlooking as we arnt willing to risk a rookie pick on a player that will struggle to adapt socially and culturally to Melbourne life. That is the risk we are overlooking.

A decision you and the club agree on.

Really? There are elite players that everyone isn’t picking up? Or is it just us?

1 Like

Seriously id love to see some expansion on this. Who is the elite player? Any names?

people are just making ■■■■ up

2 Likes

Well i’m in the camp (and I realise it’s a small camp) that we needed to add another quick Small forward. We’ve got no depth imo, because Smith and Colyer won’t be playing forward. We’re relying on Long or Merrett coming good.
So I would have been going for this type instead of an inside mid.
Whether it’s an indigenous player or not I don’t care… but a lot of the better Small forwards do seem to be indigenous

Clearly it is just us.

Look at the numbers.

I never picked you as the cuckoo type.

who are the elite players in the rookie draft we overlooked because of social risk factors?

1 Like

dayle garlett?

elite burglary and methamphetamine procurement skills

2 Likes

‘Elite’ was a poor choice of words on jono’s part, but don’t jump on it like it’s the torch that burns the whole argument. Remind me of young Libs some of you turkeys

1 Like

Ok, I’m going to focus a bit on this and pick at these statements.

Firstly - To be clear, I’m not saying I agree with the club. I’m not saying I disagree. I do think Benfti (and you) are making a claim, and I’m presenting reasonable challenge to it. I don’t know our inner workings, and don’t claim to.

Secondly - do you have any evidence that we won’t pick a draftee specifically because “that will struggle to adapt socially and culturally to Melbourne life”? Because I’ve several times pointed out that it might just be type (with no reply) and we’re talking a reasonably small sample size here. It seems to me that you’re hanging a lot on Dodoro’s common reframe that they’re good people/family etc., ignoring that that could just be marketing. Just like they may be doubtful about some draftee’s chances, but they’d never say that - each kid is extremely promising and has a bright future. Even though we know most draftees don’t make it.

Thirdly - even if we are doing this, it wouldn’t mean we’re “overlooking” it. It would mean we put more weight on it than other risks, which presumably every draftee (especially rookies) has. Do you have any evidence that it is wrong to put a higher weight on this risk?

Fourthly - you say that there are elite players we’re missing. So either you think all clubs are missing them, or Essendon is missing them.

If the later - do you have evidence of this? Because you should be able to show that other clubs are consistently picking elite players we’ve missed based on historical draft data.

If the earlier - do you have any evidence of this beyond your belief? Obviously, it’s hard to prove a negative, but if this is what you believe your making the assertion so how do you support this belief?

3 Likes

I would question whether it’s “overweighting the risks”, or “underweighting game breaking qualities” or even “underweighting the risks involved with lack of pace”

Or whatever.

There are players who are potentially elite overlooked at every draft pick forever. There is no way of quantifying these. In any analysis players who aren’t drafted can’t be classified as “fails”, but rather they need to be treated as having no further information to study.

Just because Waylen Manson wasn’t drafted doesn’t make him not potentially elite. It just means we never got to find out.

To be a ‘discussion’, it needs to be open, with acceptance of others’ opinions and ideas. Otherwise, it is just a platform to state your view and to take down any opposing views.

It’s true.
But the other 17 teams failed to find out also.
That’s an indication of some sort, isn’t it?

But when theres players and picks going both ways, it’s not as clear cut as one opportunity for one player. They gave up one opportunity (early pick) to put a guy on a list, and got 2 players and 2 other (late pick) opportunities in return. So do you count that as 1 player out of 1 pick? Or 1 player out of 4?

Yagmoor was also a pre selection deal, but he was one pick for one player, I’m happy enough with that.

BTW love the assertion that Jed Anderson wasn’t on an AFL list before he got to North!

Yes. It’s an indication that 18 groups of recruiters thought that within their clubs the chances of the player making it were lower than whoever else they took.

What that means is open to plenty of discussion and interpretation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I agree with that. You would hope…that these teams of recruiters are using good data to back up their decisions. Maybe the parameters are not right, hard to say.

I’d say that they (on average across the 18 teams, acknowledging they differ wildly in some cases) are probably right in the vast majority of cases where they have good data and enough consistent information to form a cohesive opinion. The top bunch of u18s who’ve competed against each other in a competition designed to help the recruiters get their head around them for instance.

Around the edges though you’d think it would be harder. Players for whom they don’t have as much data, have seen less often, who play roles that are inherently more streaky (eg small forwards, particularly in week sides).

Can they overlook potentially elite players in that case. For sure.

1 Like