Something doesn’t add up

And cost us Rioli.

(And this isn’t a comment on Myers)

1 Like

We followed it up despite lacking pace on the list with the infamous Carroll, German, Bock, Klempke (ready made) rookie draft

Carrol was the pick made directly before Jeff Garlett,

Tbh those picks I don’t even care about
We spent so long prior to that draft preparing to get Rioli. We’d followed him for years. We had so many discussions on blitz.

Yeah, he has even done pre season with us the year before.

1 Like

The way I remember it, everyone on blitz was panting after Rhys Palmer.

Ben & one or two others were looking pretty lonely flying the rioli flag.

Yes, I realise that Palmer had a ridiculous amount of support, but I was in the right side of history on that one. You can go and look at the Hansard if you like. And I quote “Norm Smith’s on both sides”

Sorry, but that is just revisionist. We added Zaharakis and Skipworth and promoted Atkinson that draft. We already had Davey, Jetta, Reimers, Houli, Lovett, Dempsey, Dyson, NLM and Winderlich on the list. The idea that we lacked pace is pretty preposterous. The side had it in spades.

If there was any time ever when there was a huge argument that we already had that type covered, it was in 2008 when we overlooked Garlett.

3 Likes

How about having those 2 or 3 players VFL registered (all teams), and also having ‘dibs’ - like a f/s, based on the zones?

Let’s clear something up, ok?
You do not have to be wealthy, have good parents, be ‘privileged’, or well-educated to have any of those traits. Integrity and self-discipline are things that all people from all walks of life may have. And if you don’t have those traits by the time you are 18, it’s highly unlikely a footy club is going to change your life and give them to you. Walla made it precisely because he has those traits.
I firmly believe in giving those less advantaged additional assistance. But we should be careful what we expect a football club to do.

5 Likes

If they come from our zone then that’s just gravy, but I kind of see this as a separate thing.

1 Like

It would be the driving force, and actually make a difference across the board, rather than ■■■■■-footing around.

I wanted Cyril Rioli think he got like 30 odd possessions and kicked 6 goals in a Div 2 champs game.
Had midfield potential. That sold it for me.
Myer Palmer Meh.
Also think if they had Allies game - best of Div 2 vs Div 1 then it would have been better for him.

Isn’t that exactly the opposite of the kind of draft pick that would show we’re giving opportunity?
Drafting a star isn’t exactly big of anyone.

I was just saying that I wanted Cyril, nothing to do with Equal opportunity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair point, although Carroll was meant to be a dynamic small/medium forward right? So we were drafting at least one quick player in that draft.

I actually though Bock was a good pick at the time… you win some, you lose some…

You don’t, but it’s a hell of a lot more likely that you need to have good family, education, social networks to have those attributes.

I actually disagree about what a football club can achieve.

The club provides housing, sometimes living with a family. They provide a job (football). They provide social networks (other players). They provide welfare options (social workers and psychologists). They provide a healthy wage. They can provide an education.

While it’s still up to the players, Scientific evidence proves that all of those factors are vital for a healthy wellbeing & successfully strive.

Obviously there are risk factors like leaving home, adjustment to new culture, and ability to adjust to life changes. But the protective factors usually out-weigh the rick factors.

1 Like

I wanted Rioli, but after Sheedy got the sars, I knew we’d pass over him. How, why I don’t know. Maybe I’m more tuned into this than I realise, or maybe it was a preconception of Knights.
IMO it is the stupidest recruiting oversight for many years - maybe trying to overcompensate for Sheeds wackyland trading of his last 5 years - but Rioli was basically an Essendon person and player, effectively a father son pick. Then…

(Not a complaint about Myers.)

3 Likes

…and if the person doesn’t cut it within a couple of years, they are let loose, with some extra cash in their pockets, to pick up some kind of life somewhere.
No - if a young person at 18 is in a deep hole, footy is a distraction, not the careful nurturing and professional assistance they need. And while they are getting that assistance, they need to focus on their lives, not on how they are playing.
I reckon you’ve got this ■■■■-about. There’s a whole heap that can be done with the community, and there is an enormous pile of cash sitting at AFL House. Do something worthwhile, not fixate on drafting the odd renegade flash-in-the-pan player to make yourself feel and look good.

5 Likes

So if people are defensive it’s proof they have an issue? Have I got that right?

My source was a senior person in the football Dept at the time and I’d say i’d know 50 ppl that are aware of this “direction”. hope I’m not creating a sstorm but can’t believe there aren’t many on here that are also aware of it