Something doesn’t add up

Are you saying God is an algorithm?

I will bite.

There is no such farking thing as god.

No, … he’s saying he’s just a stranger on a bus.

He’s either a concept by which we measure our pain, or a bullet.

1 Like

Oh come on, God is the name people give to the bits of the algorithm they don’t understand.

7 Likes

I recognise this isn’t the thread for this but I find the idea that only one side of an argument has to provide proof is a pretty flawed one.

1 Like

Wash your mouth out with soap and water. And don’t go out in a thunderstorm…

“What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence”

Christopher Hitchens

4 Likes

I don’t know who you are quoting but that statement can only be agreed or disagreed upon based on some form of evidence.

Burden of proof
The truthfulness of a claim lies with the one who makes the claim, and if this burden is not met, the claim is unfounded, and its opponents need not argue further in order to dismiss it.

4 Likes

Ok
So then you need to decide upon who is actually the making the claim and therefore has the burden of proof - ie exists or doesn’t exist - and what type evidence is deemed to be acceptable to meet the standard and what is the standard.
It’s quite likely people will use the same information as proof of their opposing position.

Not even taking into account what information our own bias will or won’t allow us to be open to taking in.
Quoting Christopher Hitchens says something about where you already sit.

But this conversation doesn’t belong here.

Fark Carlton

Go DONS

1 Like

You people have lost me!!!

1 Like

The person making the claim is the one saying ‘something is.’
Without it, there is no argument.
Anything else is a nonsense.

‘There are not invisible miniature flying dolphins that feed on our thoughts and excrete gold that transports into the ground and back in time.’
‘Prove it.’

1 Like

Jesus Christ Wim!

1 Like

What worries me is that I haven’t seen any white mice lately.
And the dolphins. Where are the dolphins.
Adopt the foetal position.

1 Like

Clever as always Wim, but not really a fair comparison if that was your intention.

People have been saying “something is” for centuries.
If something is accepted belief then someone claiming the opposite needs to be able to show why.

I concede the point, but I would suggest from a purely intellectual standpoint and without malice that ‘lots of people believe it and have for a long time’ is not any sort of evidence.
It’s evidence of belief in the thing, not the thing itself.

I’m not here to convince anyone of anything either way, and people can believe what they like.
I’m merely talking about where the burden of proof lies, about anything (even though we both know what we’re talking about).

4 Likes

Been saying for centuries…because there was a huge level of ignorance and most of the educated people were clerical, and therefore had a vested interest.

I’ve heard worse arguments before…but not often.

1 Like

This thread has taken a strange turn

1 Like