Something doesn’t add up

Faith: a strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

God appeared to me in the form of a chicken.

I ate it.

Sorry everyone!

4 Likes

God friended me on Fakebook.

I stopped using Fakebook.

God’s pretty funny on twitter.

2 Likes

It’s a argument from causation - not ignorance.

That would be the definition of “blind faith”. I would argue that ‘faith’ is best translated as trust.
I.e. you have faith that when you step onto a plane that it won’t crash.

God is an overweight, sweaty game designer who still lives in his parents’ basement.

Again, no.
You’re perfectly aware that planes crash, but that it’s statistically unlikely.
Through direct evidence.

1 Like

Actually yes - that’s the whole point of the illustration. For example; even doubting Thomas wasn’t expected to believe without evidence.

I don’t think accepting that some planes crash but most don’t, but if they do it’s to do with the skill of the pilot, or the diligence of the ground crew and the carriers capacity to fund these things appropriately, and that we learn these things through thousands and millions of flights, has anything whatsoever to do with the story of Thomas doubting the reincarnation.

Not even a little bit.

Edit: lol. Excuse me, resurrection.

1 Like

Well, at least I can’t accuse you of knowing nothing; you seem to know a lot about nothing. :wink:

Damn it!

Had a good one for that, … :smirk:

Of course planes can crash for a multitude of reasons. But as you say, they’re statistically unlikely to. So if you’re stepping on one you have faith it won’t.

Even the Christian scriptures that evidence is required for faith:
John 20:30 “Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe”

No, it’s not faith!
I don’t believe that if I’ve been a good boy then the plane gods will see me right!

No you don’t. You Hope.

Hope & Faith are very very different things.

It’s not even hope!
It’s the acceptance of empirical evidence.
Some planes crash.
Most planes don’t.

There is no belief system involved in any of it.

3 Likes

Hope is not a belief.

The dictionary distinguishes them:
Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing or a belief not based on proof
Hope is an optimistic attitude of mind based on an expectation or desire

So as I said - Faith is best translated as ‘trust’. And to trust something you must have some evidence (but not proof).

Weeeeell, it’s a kind of benign magic wish, isn’t it.
‘I hope my footy team wins! I hope I win the lottery!’
You don’t actually think (or believe or hope) it will make any difference.

I think you’re being very pedantic regarding evidence and proof.
At what point does a mountain of evidence become ‘proof?’