Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

Like it is now ?

2 Likes

If we accept the fact that we are a bottom 4 team and play the kids for the whole season, I won’t care how many games we lose, and will be more positive than I have been the past 4-5 years.

If we lie to ourselves, and try to scrape into the 8 again, and fail again… I will be incredibly disappointed.

5 Likes

With our track record of developing players and drafting will be bottom four for 5+ plus years crazy if you think will be bottom for 3-4 years only

Carlton spent 5 years worth of draft picks and still only finished a spot or 2 above us

We would be happy despite losses if they made an effort, like the 2016 side did. And like the 2019-2020 sides did NOT, instead putting on those gutless and dispirited displays like against Bulldogs last year.

3 Likes

We haven’t bottomed out during the the past 17 years @Finding_Nino, and have tried every ‘quick fix’ imaginable. Look where that has gotten us…

I don’t get why you are so against it. Embrace the rebuild brother!!!

1 Like

I’d take 5 years of bottom 4 finishes if it meant a period of success like richmond/hawthorn/geelong

8 Likes

Fk you too man

2 Likes

Not against a rebuild.

if we are going to rebuild I want the best person in business at identifying talent and the best person at developing players just don’t have any faith with Dodoro and co at bulding a list

A rebuild does not consist of solely the list. It’s the whole club.

3 Likes

I think the club it’s self has been rebuilt it’s now the list part/development side that needs work

How do you possibly think that? Structurally what has changed?

1 Like

I think we have a good coaching panel now

Uniquely Essendon, h’m I don’t like that description particularly, not in the past however many years we’ve done sfa and blow our bags. Not convinced.

Bluddy hell, I won’t be.
I’ll be thrilled if we make the eight.

Every farkin AFL person in the universe would trade 5 bad years for 3+ flags. However most clubs have 5 poor years and then a few years where they win a final or so but nothing else and drop away again. That’s the norm.

well, yeah. who wouldn’t

the point is, we’re too scared or “proud” to go to the bottom and it hurts us, bevause we just end up in the middle like every other farkin year. middling along how we do is far worse than being down the bottom for a while. bevause when your at the bottom, there’s only one way up. we’ve still got a few rungs to fall yet

2 Likes

But I don’t think intentionally going to the bottom solves anything. The team needs to learn to win and that requires picking your best team each week. We could offload all the experienced players for picks in the 30-40s but what’s the point. If some players want to stay loyal and be one-club players then that’s good long term for the club.

Where I disagree with many posters on here who suggest failure in 2020 was obvious and inevitable and we should’ve started a rebuild years ago, is that our best team with a fit Fanta, Joey, Saad, McKenna - throw in caldwell and dunks who we almost landed - then in 2021 you have a seriously good team. And those players might have stayed and 2 of them were contracted to stay.

It was reasonable - actually it was the only reasonable path - for the club to try to pull that team together. Now it’s fallen apart they are going into the draft big time. Who knows if we’ll draft and develop well, but a few higher draft picks by falling further down the ladder won’t help.

2 Likes

The never ending ‘on field’ rebuild/refresh or whatever… whilst absolutely nothing changes off field.

Poor development, poor leadership, soul less communication.

The club is so far in the wilderness it is beyond funny. I’m still hopeful Brasher will actually deliver but his report didn’t fill me with confidence… a lot of repeating what most of us knew already. How about starting with… coaching transition was a disaster which most realistic supporters felt it was going to be when it was announced… and the man responsible for the entire mess… Xavier Campbell… is gone. And good riddance to renewing head coaches contracts before they have actually delivered a result.

Whole club needs a much tougher edge.

4 Likes

How about selecting a coach that has never coached his own side before. And in fact is so inexperienced he needs to be “mentored” into the role

And the skills, expertise and performance of the Board?! Bit hard for him to go there though!

2 Likes

Who?