5 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

But harsh, they have some great songs

2 Likes

Walter, youā€™ll be sorely missed.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a great big sap.

ā€œBesides, this girlā€™s favourite movie is Pretty in Pink and she thinks Sting is cool. So what is happening to her is, like, not totally undeserved and one shouldnā€™t feel bad for her.ā€

1 Like

I once sent this video to an overseas mate who wanted to know more about AFL and told him it was from 2009

1 Like

What a beauty! About time Goodshirt reappeared - their two albums are good stuff indeed and their EP from a few years ago was pretty neat tooā€¦

This is actually better than I remember it to be.

4 Likes

Ten 80ā€™s songs spread over several weeks challenge by Gram Pola.
#1 Man With A Gun - Jerry Harrison
Jerry is the guitarist from Talking Heads and this is from his first solo album ā€˜Casual Godsā€™ (except itā€™s not, as Iā€™ll get to). Rev It Up was the first single from that album. But of course you all knew that much. :wink:

Whatā€™s interesting/frustrating about it is how many versions there are of this song. The version Iā€™m posting has been on youtube for a week, and Iā€™ve never heard it until half an hour ago. And this is a song that was released thirty odd years ago.

The single/radio edit, which is obviously the first version I heard, is a masterpiece in editing. It cuts a shedload of lyrics from the song and still works, it still makes sense, and that just should not happen.

The album version has the full compliment of lyrics but none of the fantastic Chris Spedding (of disputed Never Mind The Bollocks fame) lead break.

The B side of the single has what until now I assumed was ā€˜Theā€™ Chris Spedding lead break but itself was also edited, but not the full lyrics.

And even this, which is as complete as Iā€™ve found so far, it includes what Iā€™ve now discovered is the ā€˜fullā€™ lead break, doesnā€™t have Jerry Harrison coming back in afterwards, so itā€™s still notā€¦

Anyway, itā€™s on two eighties soundtracks.
Something Wild, if you havenā€™t seen it then do yourself a favour, it still stands up. And the song and its message fits beautifully with that film. The film though gives you the sequel to the song. Yeah, the rules do not apply for a while but a reckoning is coming. And few reckonings come as brutal as Ray Liotta.

Itā€™s also on Two Moon Junction, which I havenā€™t seen but looks prettyā€¦pretty damn hot.

I love the dream-like quality of the song. I love the point it makes, that in some circumstances everything will go your way. That for a short while other things donā€™t matter, like youā€™ve found a cheat code in a computer game, only itā€™s real life.

I love the imagery.
Thirty years on I love that it takes me back, and the people it reminds me of. Gods and Goddesses.

Some complaints will ba false.

2 Likes

An oldie butā€¦