Sorry for not attending earlier — review beating the Saints in 2022

I don’t understand why it took this long to play like this would have beaten Carlton

it’s not like we are list that’s in their first year of a rebuild we played finals last season

1 Like

No, unfortunately not…but I still might do a review, based on what I saw on TV sometime this weekend.

1 Like

Agressive attacking handballing to space in front of the player makes such a huge differnce to the attacking game. Great to see this rather than backwards handball or to players in worse position. Definate mindset change in direction. I think the effort has been there for a few weeks now, this fast postive handball move made a massive difference IMO. Loved Guelfi defensive role too. We did our homework very well this week

3 Likes

X and Brasher to say everything is fine and all jobs will be secure after this one win…

1 Like

No they won’t

“ St Kilda coach Brett Ratten has delivered a stinging public bake to his players, saying their performance against Essendon was not befitting of a night on which the Saints honoured the legacy of club great Danny Frawley.”

Am I the only one that thinks a game aiming to raise awareness about mental health shouldn’t be used as some sort of “event” that St Kilda should have risen too? Not saying Ratten shouldn’t give his players a bake - he has every right. Why tie it back to the Frawley legacy? There is more to life than football.

8 Likes

It took less than a half before the feel good vibes and fairness disappeared for the maggots and they reverted back to form.

1 Like

Few points of note for me.

1. Great to see the potential in the team on show.

2. What a difference to our structure it makes having Jones back in the forward half

3. I’m rapt that Wanganeen-Milera saw the potential in our side first hand. Will help in the 2023 off season when Tex and the Twins try to convince him to request a trade. :yum:

4. Enjoyed the win and we still sit with pick 3. Feels like a win/win given the train wreck of a season this has been

5 Likes

Did that actually happen?

1 Like

Yeah I think so

Have watched the replay and I honestly feel like this game was a total team effort. A lot played very well but I don’t think I’d point to any one player and say they were elite and carried us.

Mcgrath was superb down back, Hind seems to have found his run again, Redman is coming of age finally, Ridley is a lock down KPD.

Caldwell is so tough and is wasted in space when he’s so good in close. Hobbs and Perkins really growing.

Good to see Wright among the goals again, Stringer will keep getting better and Jones always just seems to grab a couple of goals.

Hopefully this result will take the shackles off and with the Eagles next week a chance at some momentum. Great win.

9 Likes

we were playing more tigers footy forward handballs and following up with pressure.

Point to prove against his old side.

2 Likes

A much nicer way to start the weekend. Great team effort- plenty of positives. Looking forward to watching the replay.

2 Likes

We were just great. Thrashed 'em and simply overpowered the Saints. Cannot vote becuase there’s so many who deserved a vote. Best performance of the season by a country mile

Bombers, if Rutten lets them play the way they know will push on up.

Saints have beaten Fremantle (in Perth), Geelong, Richmond, Adelaide (in Adelaide) and GWS (away) this year amongst others.

Even if they were a little ‘off’ (this term is often used by the football public whenever we have a rare win), I think it was win full of merit.

Where has it been though!? I just don’t want this to be yet another false dawn. Version 9827.

I’m happy but extremely cautious. I still don’t trust them. But they’ve made the weekend.

Tug of war with emotions.

4 Likes

Belatedly…

Drinks on you for the rest of the year, or are we heathens not worthy?

2 Likes

St Kilda
Max King fell off a cliff.
Membrey starred for a quarter, but other than that was invisible.
Gresham Ross and Battle played really well, but that was about it.

Essendon
Hind, Redman, Wright, Laverde, Draper and Durham were almost 2x as good as average.
Caldwell was huge in the 3rd quarter. Can play well in a phone box and has the guts to get amongst it.
Massimos first quarter was a shocker: 1 kick, … but he improved in each subsequent quarter as he found his feet and ended up with a respectable 15 disposals at 80% DE

Overall the disposal efficiency of the Bombers was off the charts, like Redman, 32 disposals at 93.5% . Stunning.

5 Likes

Gee Stringer takes a bit to get going. But when he does, boy oh boy wowee!

His first half was fumbly, the ball wasn’t bouncing his way and he couldn’t get near it at the centre bounces.

Fast forward 60 minutes and boom! Has torn the Saints a new one.

It’s also great to see Shiel playing some decent footy. His last 2 games have been very good. Let’s hope that’s the norm from here.

11 Likes

I thought the umpiring was confusing for both teams however I felt it often favoured St. Kilda.

When are our blokes going to stop giving away 50 metre penalties?