Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Jessica Peris’ leaked urine test not discussed.

Wut?

Farrell’s questions on integrity were almost entirely limited to the ASADA proposed National Tribunal. No questions asked whether ASADA thought the current sports tribunals were dodgy and what it might achieve. Farrell did ask how ASADA could get the Sports Federations to agree, but Sharpe ducked that one.
Presumably a National Tribunal would need to be legislated and would be government run. If the Sport Minister were to have charge, at the same time as having responsibility for ASADA…

1 Like

ASADA fighting attempts for key documents in Essendon drugs scandal to be made public
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
11 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority is fighting attempts for key documents in the Essendon drugs scandal to be released.

Twenty of the 34 past and present Dons players caught up in the four-year saga were informed this afternoon of an appeal against a Freedom of Information request made by a member of the public.

The FOI request surrounds doping control forms signed by Essendon players between August 2011 and September 2012.

They include the names and dates of the urine and blood tests conducted by ASADA on Essendon players during that period.

The players have been given the option of joining ASADA’s bid to keep the documents under lock and key.

An appeal will be heard in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

AFL Players’ Association executive Brett Murphy informed players of the latest development today.

“I hope you’re well, and apologies for needing to raise an issue which I’m sure many of you want nothing more to do with,” Murphy said.

“We have been approached by the Australian Government Solicitor (acting for ASADA) re: a Freedom of Information request made by a member of the public.

“The member of the public (who is, I should note, is sympathetic to the players) is seeking access to doping control forms completed by a number of current and former Essendon players.

“ASADA has rejected the request on the basis that the doping control forms contain personal information and that they are therefore exempted from the requirement to provide access.

“The member of the public has appealed this decision and the matter will soon come before the AAT which will rule on whether the member of the public will be given access to the forms.

“In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act, ASADA is required to notify you of this request, and give you the option to be joined to the proceeding and argue why the forms should (or should not) be disclosed.

“I have attached a letter from the Australian Government Solicitor to this effect (the letters to all 20 players were identical so for ease of sending I’ve attached just one of them de-identified, but can send you your personally addressed letter if you want it).

“If you want to be joined to the proceeding and argue why the forms should (or should not) be disclosed, please let me know by the end of the week.

“If you don’t wish to join the proceeding (as I expect will be the case for most if not all of you) you don’t need to do anything.”

In a letter to the AFLPA last week, the Australian Government Solicitor said the tribunal hearing was the “final avenue of merits review in the FOI”.

“If the tribunal sets aside the Information Commissioner’s decision, it is very likely the documents will be released,” AGS senior executive lawyer Justin Davidson said.

7 Likes

I am 99% certain that Peris positive a sample.was leaked by Athletics Australia. Some are too trusting of key sporting organisations.

3 Likes

Some points I thought interesting,

Why only 20 of the 34 have been contacted.

Using language in the letter “I hope you’re well, and apologies for needing to raise an issue which I’m sure many of you want nothing more to do with,”

Why can’t they just provide the information and redact the names.

Is this Bruce Francis/Jackson Taylor?

5 Likes

Oh, how nice of ASADA to be protecting the players’ personal info

26 Likes

Surely this is more self-interest on ASADA’s behalf? They probably couldn’t care less if that information is damning on the players are justified the WADA appeal. The only reason I can possibly think of for them to want this information to be kept from the general public is if it makes their investigation look as shambolic as many of us believe it is/was…

12 Likes

Thanks for posting. Re the language in the letter, the author of the letter quoted by Warner is actually Brett Murphy of AFLPA (content of the ASADA letter is unknown). Seems ASADA is going through AFLPA to circulate its request, although it has sent 20 individually addressed letters to players via AFLPA.
I think Bruce Francis initiated the AAT request

1 Like

Agree this is Bruce Francis request. I doubt this is much concern for the players as in effect they dont have to acknowledge the letter from ASADA.

Only 20 players received the letter from AsADA because only 20 players were tested during the period.

The significance of Bruce wanting the documents is to show the instructions on the DC form did not compel players to list substances consumed in the previous 14 days whick was a key plank in CAS’ decision.

14 Likes

If it is Bruce Francis, why doesn’t he just ask the players for a copy of the form?

Would the players have kept a copy of the form.

We all onow it says the players test came back clean

1 Like

Think it is a bit more than the instructions on the form ( I understand a blank form is publicly available).
Could it be what the players actually listed, as a point of comparison with what was asserted in the CAS report?

Don’t we just need one player’s form to show that

1. the disclosure clause was optional;
  2. it refers to substances taken 7 days prior so given the sporadic nature of dank’s program it is quite possible they weren’t injected within 7 days and WADA had no information at all to challenge this possibility; and
  3. most importantly by extension McDeviant, WADA & CAS are a pack of lyingfarkinpissant#$%@nts.
15 Likes

Is Bruce actually doing anything that is ever likely to amount to anything good for the players?

Or is there more hope if this is Jackson Taylor?

Apparently no players listed substances on their DCF. Of course there would be no need if there were no injections in the preceding 7 days. Problem for the players is the clubs documentation was lacking.

Maybe there is personal information on the form?

The irony of ASADA asking for the players help.

10 Likes

delete