Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Apart from the doctors, our records were crap and like most other clubs were not compliant with AFL guidelines ( which were not enforced).
Team Sky came in for criticism for its record keeping, but there is no suggestion of doping charges on that account. And, in the Froome “methods’ case- involving charges of exceeding the dosage limits within a prescribed time period - I have not seen any public defence that Sky kept records to prove that the salbutamol was administered within the prescribed limits.
Record keeping is not a WADA obligation - possibly because records can be fabricated - and we were not done for doping for that reason. Rather it was the strands in the cable which were not based on relevant factual evidence, contrary to the principles of customary international law - which, as determined by the CAS arbitrators in the Russian cases, also form part of Swiss procedural law ( and, I would argue, are not so different from Australian procedural law). The IOC is appealing those decisions to the Swiss Federal Tribunal.
That is why I would like to see a mulitdisciplinary academic symposium in Australia to debate the issues. It is not enough to waffle on about athletes rights in noble sports law forums without showing how they are denied rights in practice.
This is not to downplay the sterling work done by the J34, but it can be all to easy to say they lack gravitas as Essendon supporters.

2 Likes

This JT case needs to blow the doors off this bullshit saga!

2 Likes

Dank declared bankruptcy after a failed investment venture - It had nothing to do with sports.

He also got costs awarded against him in his failed defamation case. As he can’t work with sports bodies afffliated to the WADA Code, his Dr Ageless clinics may be his only source of legitimate income.

1 Like

A big thanks to @bigallan for the constant effort to commentate and translate in this thread, reminding us of facts amidst a confusion I fear may go on for some time yet.

I applaud you.
My work, not so much.

26 Likes

Bigallan is a legend!!!

8 Likes

Is BIG … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Just love it that there’s stilll so many that maintain the rage

3 Likes

Thanks folks, hope you can pass on some of my convoluted analyses in simpler language.
I suggest that what is coming out of the Royal Commission in the financial sector is the disregard of ordinary people without powerful connections and the absence of legal protections.
There are parallels with the E34+3.

15 Likes

'kn oath there are.

Never forget. Never, ever forget.

7 Likes

I found that interview and he made reference to finding the forms in it but he didn’t mention the missing attachments then, just that the forms indicated that the substances were compliant.

I’ll keep looking.

2 Likes

We didn’t have all that many injections they had to end up including vitamins etc to pump the numbers up & even then is wasn’t much. ASADA has all this information …what every one is discussing here are the blatant lies told by the AFL to make us look guilty …it didn’t happen because if it did there would be a paper or e- trail which would have been found no matter how well they hid things, when they took all our records including phones !!! they know what we had when we had it & they know that only 8 players ever had an injection of thymosin which they want to call TB4. The fact that all were tainted & all called liars because they didn’t fill in their doping test forms well only 15 of them had tests during that time & if they didn’t have an injection that week then what the hell would they be putting anything on their forms for anyway?

7 Likes

I would suggest that they have records for all of those …they were looking for records that didn’t exist because we didn’t have anything illegal …easy then to say we didn’t keep records or they were destroyed etc

3 Likes

Former Essendon skipper Jobe Watson has called out the Bombers for being negligent
Liam Twomey, Herald Sun
6 minutes ago
Subscriber only
JOBE Watson has called out his former club for “not doing its job”, which led to the Essendon supplements saga.

The former skipper, who had to hand back his 2012 Brownlow Medal because of his involvement in the drugs program, also criticised the Bombers for being “negligent on multiple levels” throughout the period.

“Four years of not only my career but my teammates’ careers were absorbed by this, so that makes me sad. I don’t have ill feelings towards the club, but the club didn’t do their job,” he said.

BIG WIN: DID THE BOMBERS GET A STEAL IN SMITH?

BOMBERS: NO BURNING SCARFS AS BOMBERS BOUNCE

“They were negligent and they were negligent on multiple levels and they had to admit that and I guess my feelings are that it happened, there’s no point harbouring grudges and ill feelings towards the club because of that.

“I do have sadness because of what myself and my teammates had to go through.”

In a wide-ranging interview with the Plant Proof podcast, Watson touched on many aspects of the supplements regimen.

Jobe Watson in action during his final season with the Bombers. Picture: Getty Images
While the 2012 injecting program was different to anything he had experienced in his career, Watson said he trusted the club was looking after its players and never thought what they were doing could be illegal.

“The program was different to what we had experienced before but I guess it was stuff that had been sanctioned by the club,” he said.

“They were our employer. We thought to ourselves, ‘Why would anyone try and do this? It is just such a ridiculous thing.’

“We get tested all the time. Everyone in the club is here. It’s not like we are going off-site and hiding away.

“These are our employers, they have a duty of care to look after us.”

M1030504_Perfect 9_Kerstin Thuresson_APR18 V3 650 x 90 px EMAIL.jpg

Watson was one of 34 players on the 2012 list who were eventually banned for 12 months by the World Anti-Doping Authority.

Watson said he spent a long time thinking he should have done more to stop the situation, but has since learnt to let go.

“In hindsight you always think I should have done more. I should have done this or I should have done that,” he said.

Jobe Watson has spoken about the Essendon supplements saga. Picture: AAP Images
“You’re only doing that with the information you have in hindsight. At the time, the program was brought in by the club and sanctioned by the football club.

“When I look back on it I think of course I should have done more or I could have done more, but I don’t necessarily have a huge sense of guilt about it.”

Watson added that he initially didn’t think he would come back from his year-long ban.

The now 33-year-old spent most of his time in New York and has returned to the city since he retired at the end of last season.

“I remember being at Melbourne airport and leaving and thinking to myself, ‘I don’t know if I’ll ever come back’,” he said.

8 Likes

Will listen to the whole thing.

I just want to hear that the players still don’t think they took anything that was banned.
They always are represented as though they have.

1 Like

Yes, I have to wonder what’s been left out of this. Leaves it open to the interpretation of the reader as to whether it was the program (i.e. the supplements themselves) that was wrong, its management but not the supplements per se, or both. I’m guessing most will interpret it as the latter.

HAS HE NO RESPECT FOR THE NARRATIVE?!?

4 Likes

Jobe has always indicated thought innocent and his testimony around thymomodulin more detailed than any of the players

1 Like