Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Here the link to the podcast (via Scooter’s tweet)

https://twitter.com/scootermcneice/status/999138802458288131?s=21

1 Like

Hmmm, sounds like Jobe should have been reading Blitz. It sounds like the players have been very seriously misinformed, or even deliberately misled.

2 Likes

The answer around was Tb4 banned at the time. Can someone let him know you couldn’t even search for it.

I can’t state enough how much I wish he asked “What do you think you were given”. He danced around it but there wasn’t a direct question.

I thought they were great comments by Jobe.

He’s right. The club was monsterously negligent. Whether the players actually consumed banned substances or not.

Yes the AFL stitched us up too, no doubt, but this view that Essendon has no fault whatsoever and the whole thing is a giant conspiracy that spans multiple continents is fanciful.

Hopefully some in here can actually consider Jobes comments and reflect on their own positions, rather than just saying he’s misinformed. He’s probably more entitled to a view, and to have that view respected, than literally anyone else.

22 Likes

No sure anyone is saying the club is not without fault?

9 Likes

More like the scum that left and didnt follow protocol

• Hirdy said had to be WADA approved
  • Reid left the letter of Concern which disappeared.
2 Likes

Jobe has to say that, weather it’s true or not. If he said the opposite the hounds would be let out to cut him down again. It’s just easier. I still think what the club was doing wasn’t really far removed from what a lot of other clubs were doing.

3 Likes

Jobe talking about the Brownlow is incredible.

It hurts but he is so so strong.

2 Likes

I think some people are saying that. Certainly not all.

I just think it’s a bit curious that in a contest of Jobes view versus Bruce Francis’ view, most people prefer Bruce. Some things he says certainly have merit but I just think that’s odd.

As a poster whose opinion I greatly respect (seriously) I’d love to hear your views on Jobes statement.

He doesn’t have to say anything. He’s living overseas, and cares not for the club or the league. He doesn’t have a dog in the fight.

I’m pretty sure Bruce has acknowledged the fault that lays at the feet of the club. But I get your point.

I have no issue with the comments made by Jobe. He lived it. He is a victim.

I believe there is a degree of negligence from the club. Of course there is. The lack of governance was appalling. And it’s no excuse that other clubs were implementing similarly amateurish programs.

That being said, the people who I consider responsible for this debacle have gone unpunished. Similarly, those who I consider “enablers” like CW another group responsible in some other aspects of the umbrella that is the saga.

12 Likes

I guess I would like to hear who the players believe were negligent. The media blame Hird (and, to a lesser extent, Thompson), we blame Dank and Robinson. I would love to hear the players name names but I’m guessing that wont happen.

6 Likes

Crameri blamed Dank

14 Likes

I was just about to type that. Stewie said Dank.

2 Likes

As Essendon pleaded guilty to Worksafe breaches, there was no exploration of individual negligence. Essendon also paid compensation to the players.
What did Jobe say that was in conflict with what Bruce has said?

6 Likes

True that.

Just wish one of the 34 would come out and stick the boots in. I don’t care if they ■■■■ can EFC, AFL, Asada, Hird, Dank or Robinson. Just get it off their chest…get it out there.

There must be some sort of confidentiality clause in the settlements. But then they may just have been so traumatised by the full on scrutiny and the sheer length of the saga that they are prepared to let it go.

We may never get to hear their story unfortunatley

3 Likes

Don’t think the anger will ever go away, but I have made peace with telling people to gagf when they bring it up. Haha

5 Likes

I’ve written about this a long time ago now, but to re hash.

I have for a long time sensed that Jobe knew the club had let him down once he realised the supplements regime wasn’t as regulated as it should have been.

Jobe has a special place in this for a lot of reasons, one of them is because he was around the club as a kid with Tim being Bomba and Jimmy’s team mate in 1993. These guys would have been real live and close up personal heros who he would have trusted immensely as he would have the club.

Jobe saw that the club let a snake oil salesman who thought he was smarter than WADA (Dank) infiltrate it to the point X and Jimmy and Goody were getting jabbed in their offices. It was not professional. Nothing was necessarily illegal, but it was out of control and not professional.

Jimmy and Bomba realised that Robinson was not at all professional and should be sacked and went to the board in July 2012, and Evans argued against it apparently thinking it would be too expensive to pay him out. So before the wheels fell off, they both knew in that things were very wrong with their supplements program and they wanted to unplug Robinson from the club and in doing so also ridding it of Dank.

My feeling is Jobe was right to expect that Essendon should have been run professionally at all times and that the supplements program should have been run in a watertight way, not by people who were trying to stay one step ahead of WADA and jabbing people with substances which should never have been on the clubs premises in their offices.

We can argue about records, but we know that Dank and Robinson had a history of doing things behind the clubs back at the Gold Coast and also at EFC, hence Bomba and Hirdy wanting them gone in July 2012.

We were 11-4 after round 16 on July 14th , we didn’t win another match for the year with the record number of soft tissue injuries.

Remember that all this shambles was recognised by Jimmy and Bomba before their was a breath of scrutiny, and once it was scrutinised, it lead to the AFL reforming all the clubs, most of were acknowledged as being poorly regulated by the AFL.

While we are right to question if anything illegal was done, we would not be right to question Jobe feeling let down by the club. Jimmy and Bomba did try to rein Robinson in eventually and unsuccessfully, but in reality by then most of the damage had been done, awaiting an out of control cascade of circumstances and butt covering and scapegoating to occur over the coming years.

We can finger point at the AFL, ASADA, WADA, CAS, SWSNBN, the various Governments and most of the media and rightly so, but what I really think hurt Jobe was that the club in general failed him and his team mates and robbed him and many others of the prime of their careers.

The layers of injustice were numerous, but they began, and in many ways were perpetuated by poor judgement of people at the club. The club that was Jobe’s universe for so much of his life and his most formative years.

No wonder Jobe has gone to get a life elsewhere, good on him.

27 Likes

It strikes me that the key players in the saga are getting past the anger phase.

Now it is more about the sadness.

1 Like