Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

I am certain that Schwab is doing lots of work behind the scenes - With your background you know that affecting this type of change is a long and laborious process.

Following CAS decisions, the IAAF was forced to put up some sort of scientific evidence. I would have thought that the IAAF experience was the prime opportunity for the GSA to query the injustice to athletes of the skewed WADA legal presumptions of non-contestibility, or at the very least to produce its evidence on health and performance enhancement. But that does not appear to be on its agenda,

From the Budget

Sport Integrity

The Government will establish a new body, Sport Integrity Australia, to carry out anti-doping and integrity functions, and a National Sports Tribunal to hear and resolve rule violations. The Government has also signed up to the Council of Europe Convention on the Manipulation of Sports Competitions.

3 Likes

This would seem to require legislation. I have not seen anything on Labor or Greens positions. Suppose we will have to wait for clarification post elections.
Also, we will have to wait to see whether the big Codes would opt in to a National Tribunal,

2 Likes

Supposedly the larger non-Olympic sports have no interest in the proposed National Sports Tribunal.

Why would you? Probably think its more trouble than its worth.

1 Like

Could be helpful to athletes in sports which do not have a triibunal system and are currently forced to CAS to challenge an ASADA finding of a WADA doping violation. Athletics Australia may be one.

Didn’t help our players much having their own Tribunal System. WADA/ASADA/CAS have still got it stitched up but; as more and more athletes wake up to what has been and still is happening perhaps something will happen to effect changes to occur.

1 Like

Not directly saga related but…

Link inside tweet

3 Likes

Warner likes to push the AFL’s buttons.

4 Likes

More like he’s got a pair and wants to show up the afl for what it is, a corrupt, nepotistic and arrogant organisation

8 Likes

I’m all for it!

5 Likes

Integrity in Sport Bill introduced into Parliament.
Details on Health site: health.gov.au
ACIC would be given strengthened role in match fixing. Shame its predecessor did not address the AFL role in investigating MFC.
If an election called, I think the bill would die. And under caretaker conventions, public service ( including ASADA CEO, who might have overstepped his role in supporting government decisions) could not progress consultations on the bill’s workings.

Maybe La Trobe can give us some info on Sarah’s whereabouts.

4 Likes

I wonder if Burnside can win kooyong at the next election?

3 Likes

FMD

Collingwood great’s scolding reality check for James Hird

Play Video

Play

0:00

/

0:00

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Fullscreen

Elliott shuts down reporter: ‘I can’t be bothered’

|0x0

news.com.au

Collingwood great Tony Shaw has dramatically declared family members of Essendon players that served under exiled coach James Hird would want to “belt the s*** out of the former mentor.

With the Bombers’ 2019 season off to a disastrous start, under fire coach John Worsfold was this week forced to respond to reports the club could consider turning to Hird to return to the coaching department in some capacity.

Hird’s declaration after returning to the AFL as an expert analyst with Triple M that he would “never say never” to returning to coach at Essendon has stirred up the hornets nest this week ahead of the Bombers’ crunch game against Melbourne.

Unusual things to do in Sydney this month
SPONSORED CONTENT

However, Shaw on Thursday declared Hird should never be allowed to return to coaching after he oversaw the “darkest” period in the history of the Essendon Football Club.

He said the game can’t forget the supplements saga, which brought the game and the club to its knees.

Mark Neeld and James Hird made quite the team.

Mark Neeld and James Hird made quite the team. Source:Supplied

“What those young players were put through, if that was my son involved as one of those young players, I would’ve gone down there and grabbed him by the neck and tried to belt the s*** out of him,” Shaw told Macquarie Sports Radio.

“People say you’ve got to forgive and forget, no you don’t.

“What happened to them were the darkest days we’ve even seen in the history of the AFL.”

He said the AFL should step in if any clubs consider appointing Hird to their coaching staff.

afl scores

Final Score

ADE

GEE

Final Score

MEL

ESS

6/4 Sat 1:45PM

CAR

$2.55

SYD

$1.50

6/4 Sat 4:35PM

GWS

$1.53

RIC

$2.45

6/4 Sat 7:25PM

BRI

$1.60

POR

$2.32

6/4 Sat 7:25PM

COL

$1.42

WCE

$2.80

7/4 Sun 2:20PM

WBD

$1.18

GCS

$4.75

7/4 Sun 3:20PM

HAW

$1.50

NM

$2.55

7/4 Sun 5:20PM

FRE

$1.38

STK

$3.00

|0x0

“I don’t believe he should ever coach in the AFL again.

“I don’t think it’ll happen and it shouldn’t.

“He should never coach at AFL level again, whatever happened at Essendon should never have been allowed to happen.”

Shaw’s strong stance on the hot potato topic has attracted criticism from footy commentators, including Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson.

Mark Robinson :heavy_check_mark: @Robbo_heraldsun

Accept Shawry’s anger, but to say he would’ve tried to ‘bash the ■■■■’ of Hird - who almost killed himself and who is dealing with mental illness - is a little strong. Ed McGuire was savaged for joking about keeping Caro’s head under water. All HIrd said was never say never.

11:35 AM - Apr 5, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

106 people are talking about this

Hird, who served a 12-month ban over the Bombers supplements saga, admitted he missed the “camaraderie” of being part of a club and would consider a return.

“No, I wouldn’t, no,” Worsfold replied when asked if he would entertain the former senior coach’s return.

“That’s not on the radar, not for discussion in any way, shape or form right at this moment.

“I haven’t heard anything about it. I’m not sure where it’s come from … you’re the first person who’s raised that name with me.

“He’s a champion of this footy club and he’s welcome to walk in the door any day he wants.”

CROWS SUPERSTARS RIPPED TO PIECES

Oh Eddie.

Oh Eddie. Source:Getty Images

Adelaide superstar Eddie Betts is fortunate that he hasn’t been dropped from the Crows’ best 22, according to veteran footy commentator Mike Sheehan.

Betts and the Crows’ forward line continued to struggle in Adelaide’s 24-point loss to Geelong at Adelaide Oval on Thursday night.

“I think there’s a simple solution with what’s happening with Adelaide’s inability to kick a winning score, Eddie Betts is nowhere near the player he’s been in previous years,” Sheehan told SEN Breakfast.

“He’s way off the boil. He’s lucky to be in the team.

“Here’s a guy who’s been averaging 60 goals a season and he can’t get near it.”

It came as star ball-winner Bryce Gibbs was also swiped by Adelaide Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes on Friday morning, despite picking up 27 touches.

“That’s probably the worst 27 possession game I’ve seen,” Cornes told CrocMedia.

“He kicked it a lot tonight so he’s probably run out of the square … he might have done it six or seven times.

“I thought it was a poor game.”

Meanwhile, Adelaide winger Paul Seedsman’s luckless AFL career has continued with a season-ending knee injury.

Seedsman tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee late in Adelaide’s loss to the Cats.

The 27-year-old will have scans on Friday, with coach Don Pyke resigned to losing the ex-Collingwood dasher for the year.

Seedman’s mishap follows the same injury to his teammate Tom Doedee in the opening round.

“Unfortunately we now have Tom and potentially now Paul we are going to miss for the season,” Pyke said.

“It’s disappointing for those two guys, especially early in the year when you have put all the work and energy to getting yourself ready for a season.

“That sort of rug pulled from underneath you is shattering for both of them and us as a group.”

DEMONS TANKING ‘DISGRACE’ BLOWN OPEN

Brock McLean didn’t like what he saw.

Brock McLean didn’t like what he saw. Source:News Limited

The player whose allegations led to the AFL’s Melbourne tanking investigation says coach Dean Bailey told them they had to toe the line.

Reacting to the publication of evidence from the 2012 investigation, retired Demon Brock McLean said on Friday uneasy players approached Bailey during the 2009 season to voice concern.

“A lot of us were uncomfortable with what was going on and the response from Dean was, ‘We’ve just all got to be on the same page, we’ve all got to toe the line’,” McLean told SEN.

He said he has always suspected Bailey and the coaching staff played players out of position and corrupted the team’s ability to win football games through questionable selections and list management decisions.

“From a player’s perspective, there was no tanking, no deliberately going out there to lose games,” he said.

“From a coach’s perspective, and I wasn’t privy to the conversations, the positions that players were played in didn’t give us the best opportunity to win games of footy.

“So I don’t know what that is.”

He said the team’s shift away from trying to win football games was clearly evidenced in the way James McDonald was forced to leave the club.

“The way they handled some of the older players, blokes that’d been around a long time like Cam Bruce, Brad Green, Jimmy McDonald — the way he (McDonald) was handled was an absolute disgrace,” McLean said.

“I don’t think he left, he was actually forced out a few years after for list changes. It just wasn’t a very pretty time for the footy club.”

— with AAP

‘Collingwood great :smile: Tony Shaw has dramatically declared family members of Essendon players that served under exiled coach James Hird would want to “belt the s*** out of the former mentor.’

WTF, he’s a mind reader now and know’s what family members think.

Dumbarse Shaw.

8 Likes

I think he was saying IF he was a family member of a player.

If you’ve ever listened to to him you’d know he’s a bit of a knuckle dragger.

Pretty sure he was saying there wasn’t anything wrong with eddies comments about the amputee coin tossing either.

Source: Crikey, 22 Aug 2013:

“At her worst, Caroline Wilson too often is captured by her sources, willing to rent her journalistic credibility to those feeding her information. For six months Wilson has been a virtual public relations mouthpiece for the AFL, maintaining a highly critical stance towards Essendon (and especially Hird). Perhaps coincidentally, Wilson (and The Age’s crack investigative duo, Richard Barker and Nick McKenzie) have received a constant flow of leaks, all of which happen to be detrimental towards Hird and Essendon. Wilson has called for the sacking of Hird since the original allegations were levelled. It appears that his resilience has spurred Wilson to greater vitriolic heights, with every week he continues in the job appearing to be a personal slight on Wilson. Since the story broke in February, Wilson has penned 64 articles about Essendon – that’s more than two each week (more than a third of all Wilsons’ articles were about the issue). Virtually every article has taken a negative view on Essendon, ranging from polite requests – “Right thing to do is for Hird to step down” – to the more critical – “Bombers a shambles”; “Blind faith in Hird must fray” – to the blatant leaks – “AFL warned Hird against peptides” – to the downright insistent – “Supplement saga: Heads must roll”; “Blind pride drove coach’s denial and bodies piled up”. Even the most devoted Essendon supporter wouldn’t deny some at the club, including Hird, have acted in a reckless manner – but their actions have since been dwarfed by the sheer incompetence in handling the matter by Demetriou and his followers, including general counsel Andrew Dillon and pugnacious in-house media executive Patrick Keane”

So…

Under the Australian Commonwealth [Criminal Code (http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/cca1995115/sch1.html),
it’s an offence for a person to use the internet, including social media:

• in a way that reasonable persons would regard as being, in all the circumstances, menacing, harassing or offensive.

And according to the Victorian Crimes Act,
it’s an offence to publish on the internet a statement or other material relating to the victim:

• with the intention of causing physical or mental harm to the victim […] or of arousing apprehension or fear in the victim for his or her own safety or that of any other person.

So, why does Wilson, TheAgenda or the AFL think this is appropriate behaviour?

24 Likes

Doesn’t read that way.

Either way he is still a dumbarse.