Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

You have to about the actual point of having an FOI system. At the time of Stabby’s submission there were a number of FOI submissions to ASADA relating to the Essendon saga, Dank, Robinson, Health Minister, discussions with AFL, Investigator evidence etc. etc. All in all at one stage with one of mine just submitted only 1 in 33 had been approved.

Should be renamed The Cover up Act. Or even how to avoid any accountability for your actions when you are employed by the taxpayers of Australia. CEO - Benny McDevitt.

6 Likes

Is it the usual language to say “the documents do not exist” and immediately follow it up with “I refuse access to the documents”?

9 Likes

Once, when presssed for a yes or no about the existence of the records of the ADRVP on Essendon, MCDevitt said he could not go that far, rather that ASADA could not identify relevant documents. Strange that, as ADRV findings can be reviewed by the AAT . It was evident in the AAT decision in the Sandor Earl appeal, that substantial ADRVP records were put before the AAT.

3 Likes

Fark. Those Rsoles just keep on dealing us shitte over the Saga. Good on you all for keeping on taking it up to these turds!

13 Likes

Thank AT. Never forgive, never forget. It would be nice to know that you were a permanent pimple in the neather regions of these corrupt oxygen thieves.

21 Likes

…cue: setting sun over gentle waves - foreground, pier…Weapon and Partner gaze at children…Weapon turns with tear in eye

2 Likes

'# DONS BOSS WAS UNDER SIEGE FROM SUPPORTERS

The man at the helm of the Essendon Football Club during the supplements saga has revealed he went to extraordinary lengths to keep Bombers fans onside.’

Behind a paywall. If it’s worth posting, if anyone has access to Herald Sun, please post article. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

ohh a pseudo open letter from paul little.

for a second i feared it was a david evans article.

1 Like

I must be getting a bad memory as I am getting older because I really do not remember any “extraordinary lengths to keep bomber fans onside”.

However, I do remember the extraordinary lengths they went to in creating that schmozzle when James Hird was banned from the annual meeting and not even mentioned there.

11 Likes

Yes Paul Little played the master magician keeping both sides happy. Certainly wasn’t the lay person in the street like supporters, trying to support.

I think Paul looked after his mates in the “boys club.”

2 Likes

Here’s the article:

Former Toll chief Paul Little on putting life lessons to good use

From Brooklyn trucking company chief to billionaire philanthropist and community leader, Paul Little opens up about success, giving back, life lessons and Melbourne’s leaders.

Jeff Whalley, Sunday Herald Sun

Subscriber only

|

June 1, 2019 7:30pm

Paul Little is helping the next generation of Australian entrepreneurs. Picture: Mark StewartPaul Little is helping the next generation of Australian entrepreneurs. Picture: Mark Stewart

Trying to explain his journey from Brooklyn trucking company chief to billionaire philanthropist and community leader, Paul Little harks back to his dad.

Little senior was a no-fuss bloke who fought in World War II and knew a thing or two about tinkering with engines in suburban Burwood.

“My father was always my mentor and he was always a very practical person — he could handle anything practically and I think I inherited that a little,” he says.

That eye for the practical has carried Little very far in life.

The 72-year-old former Toll boss speaks to the Sunday Herald Sun at his modern Toorak Rd office, near the corner of Chapel St, on a cold Melbourne morning.

For a man who continues to have such an big effect on the state, there is no monstrous overview of Melbourne — it’s simply a convenient place to do business.

It is a 10-minute drive from his Italianate double-storey 1867 Toorak mansion. Named Coonac, it is one of Melbourne’s most historic properties.

Early last century it was home to politician and financier William Baillieu.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/eff9f428251c878090542465d0ebc2b2?width=1024Paul Little built a reputation for toughness. Picture: Mark Stewart

The Sunday Herald Sun spoke to Little close to exactly four years after the deal of a lifetime, in which Toll was taken over for $6.5 billion.

Little — who built Toll from a company with 18 trucks to one with 45,000 staff in more than 50 countries — pocketed $340 million, which he is now using to help give back.

As Toll head, he built a reputation for toughness after clashes with the likes of stevedore group Patrick Corp and its head Chris Corrigan and the American Teamsters union.

But the chapter he has written since then is just as fascinating.

The Sunday Herald Sun talked to Little about the phase of his life in which he is increasingly giving back through philanthropy and volunteering, and his views around the importance of taking leadership roles.

GIVING BACK

Little attributes much of his present direction to his wife Jane Hansen, herself a formidable business person.

She worked as an investment banker in Manhattan before returning to Australia.

The pair met when Hansen was assigned the task of floating Little’s trucking company on the share market in the early 1990s.

Today their Hansen-Little Foundation holds $80 million and they give away 5 per cent of that
a year.

“We both had very busy — and on balance — successful careers. So having the time and the wherewithal now to give back is something that we get a lot of pleasure out of,” he says.

They dislike the view some corporations take, that simply writing cheques solves problems.

“That was always something Jane and I both felt was not trying hard enough.”

The couple’s philanthropic efforts extend to donations to the University of Melbourne and the State Library of Victoria, the Melbourne Theatre Company, and his beloved First and Second Step program aimed at getting people with histories of addiction and crime into jobs.

At the same time, Little chairs Visit Victoria, aimed at bringing events to the state — including the Harry Potter and The Cursed Child theatre show and the coming President’s Cup golf.

“With major events we are not just a national leader, but a global leader,” he says.

Putting his money where his mouth is, he also launched the ferry service between Portarlington and Melbourne and built a luxury jet base at Melbourne airport.

THE NEXT GENERATION

When the Sunday Herald Sun asks Little what life lessons he would share with his younger self starting out in business, he produces a list.

It includes messages like having self belief. Taking calculated risks. Always being ethical. Sharing rewards.

But Little — ever practical — is doing more than writing lists.

His latest effort, kicking off last year, is serving as chairman and investing in Skalata Ventures, a seed investment program designed to help the next generation of Australian entrepreneurs.

“We’ve got to transition from being a manufacturing and mining economy — we’ve got to keep the people with smart ideas,” he says.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/05f21a1c92c2fcdcb2d779350ccd637d?width=316Paul Little and wife Jane Hansen in their Toorak home. Picture: Aaron Francis

“For me it’s more about trying to keep Australia’s young entrepreneurs in Australia.”

Other investors are the state government, other philanthropists and Deakin, Monash, RMIT, La Trobe and Swinburne universities.

After 78 applications were made, Skalata has chosen 10 winners, who are going through the process of signing contracts.

MAKING THINGS WORK

Nine years ago Little was named an Officer of the Order of Australia for services developing the nation’s transport and logistics businesses.

His views in the area are still sought.

But when the Sunday Herald Sun asks him for his ideas about the state’s infrastructure priorities, he is mindful of making sure he is not seen to be criticising the government.

He says his ideas are purely ways to “further enhance” the good work already being done.

One key suggestion is building a port at Avalon for when the Port of Melbourne reaches capacity.

He also says Victorian regional areas need to switch from broad to standard gauge rail lines.

This would do away with the time-consuming gauge changes that slows freight.

Little also says Australia also needs to get around to building fast rail between its capital cities.

THE HARD YARDS

He knows a lot about how tough taking a role in community organisations can be.

Of course, Little took stewardship of the Essendon Football Club during its most trying period — becoming chairman in July 2013, just before the drug supplements scandal that consumed the club.

What was harder, running Toll or running Essendon?

“(There was) life long emotion and passion at Essendon — I have never seen in anything like that before,” he says.

Little received about 15 letters a week from people either asking him questions or offering advice.

“I responded to every single person that wrote to me over the period,” he says. “We were going through the allegations of performance-enhancing drugs and I just thought it was so important to respond in that way.”

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/2a4e834427f57d958f5721f387f8acc0?width=1024Paul Little when he was Essendon Football Club chairman. Picture: Tim Carrafa

But why did he stick it out in what many people thought was a thankless task, finally passing the job to Lindsay Tanner at the end of 2015?

“The driver for me was these young men. And I have a son who at the time was just sort of going through university — so a similar age. They were just that, they were young men,” Little says.

“I felt then — and even now today — that someone needed to protect them and make sure they weren’t going to be unfairly dealt with and treated. So that was the big motivation, really.”

MORE: HOW PAUL LITTLE AIMS TO BUILD UP THE WEST

COMMUNITY LEADERS

After influential Melburnian Ron Walker died last year, questions were asked about whether there were people willing to stand up and play a similar role.

“I think they do,” Little says.

In the arts he points to Gerry Ryan, in education he points to Glyn Davis, in politics he points to Steve Bracks and in transport he points to Rod Eddington.

But Little accepts there might be a place for him at the table as well.

“Giving back is terribly important and I think Australians are very good at it. So I think that is to be congratulated and applauded.”

[email protected]

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/former-toll-chief-paul-little-on-putting-life-lessons-to-good-use/news-story/05311095b3d545525e247fc58bb3bdef

I just loved this quote:

“The driver for me was these young men. And I have a son who at the time was just sort of going through university — so a similar age. They were just that, they were young men,” Little says.

“I felt then — and even now today — that someone needed to protect them and make sure they weren’t going to be unfairly dealt with and treated. So that was the big motivation, really.”

If you didn’t know what happened you would think Little saved the players. Yet he did not protect them. He let them be denied their rightful place in the 2013 finals. He threw their coach, assistant coach, doctor and football manager under the AFL bus. And he allowed the players to go through the ASADA/WADA CAS process that saw them banned in 2016. Not a bad effort for someone who put himself us as the players’ protector.

8 Likes

I’ve always respected Paul Little tremendously.

But to find out he’s also a Digger? Gee whiz.

2 Likes

not to take away from paul, but that part was referring to his dad.

1 Like

Ha ha ha whoops, I’m an idiot.

I stand corrected.

Paul Little fought with unions and competitors all his life, can’t fight with a group who change the rules along the way AFL/ASADA

3 Likes

Hmmm. I appreciate the sentiment, but you could have worded it better. :thinking: I don’t think it’s nice to know I am a permanent pimple…

1 Like
5 Likes

AT. Point taken. The intention of the response was to suggest that the “you” was in fact “me”. I have been involved in the saga since it started and am committed to continue finding ways to be the pimple on the bum of the bastards who perpetrated this injustice to our players and coaches. I acknowledge and appreciate the support that you and many others provide.

22 Likes

I think it is a great compliment.

1 Like

No worries. Of course I appreciate your sterling efforts in this matter.

I was just pointing out how words can be taken another way. Like the report on ABC news online about the man who escaped the Darwin shooter by “escaping under the fence in his jocks”.

I don’t know why he had a fence in his jocks, or that such a thing could be so useful.

4 Likes