Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Looks like ASADA is maintaining their usual level of integrity, i.e. none.

Nova Peris unleashes on ASADA over daughter’s drug test leak

Olympic gold medallist Nova Peris is furious that her athlete daughter Jessica’s positive result on a drug test was leaked and ASADA saw fit to issue a statement confirming the test, which is only half complete. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-22/nova-peris-furious-over-jessicas-drug-test-leak/9476246

7 Likes

It’s payback for Nova appearing at Senate estimates.

6 Likes

Brains are overrated in the modern world

1 Like

Nova Peris declared in a statement that not only was her daughter a “clean athlete”, but she was being subjected “to a public trial-by-media, which here is not only inappropriate, but extremely unfair”.

Maybe this might force some attention onto the unethical practices of ASADA. I think there is another case we are all familiar with where this also happened.

Just waiting for a Journo to link the two cases…

11 Likes

The handling of this is suss. No doubt there was some media digging when she withdrew from the Commonwealth Games trials, but ASADA’s explanation of why it took 3 months to inform her of the A positive test is not convincing.
Jessica has been a wild child and Nova was never the darling of Athletics Australia when she was up against their golden girl Melinda Gainsford ( and beat her). There has also been a lot of dirt thrown around about Nova’s private life , most of which she has disproved.

12 Likes

Fark me, this thread is still going?

2 Likes

I hope Nova does a bit more digging into the way ASADA handles its business and leaks information. We know this isn’t the first time this has happened and won’t be the last.
People’s lives are ruined while they twiddle their fingers and the media writes their stories.

Unfortunately, this sounds story all too familiar.

2 Likes

Not really. There is a positive test here ! No EFC player has tested positive to anything ! The players were stiched up by a corrupt system that needed to get a win against a non olympic sport.

I don’t know the specifics on the Peris case but apparently there is a positive test. ASADA acting in a reprehenible way is the only similarity

6 Likes

Just like how some fans can’t let go of the 80s…

Amazing the number of users that check in

2 Likes

They were the days…

My guess is the Peris positive was leaked by AAA - Day is the golden girl at the moment so AAA want their full focus on her and others - Once Peris lawyered up to fight the positive then it will be get out at some stage and if at the wrong time detract focus from the Commonwealth Games - Of course ASADA hate it when athletes contest hearings.

2 Likes

ASADA justice principles:

Innocent until proven guilty … nah
Guilty because we say so … getting warmer

If you agree with us, maybe we can do a deal …
If you don’t … well silly you, no privacy, no negotiation, maximum penalty and completely destroy your reputation out of all proportion to the “crime” … now that’s justice ASADA/WADA/CAS style.

Silly you for thinking there is a system that might protect your rights.

15 Likes

When the hard work from these guys finally pays off you will be like every other Essendon fan punching the air.

So instead of slagging it off, perhaps pat them on the pack.

23 Likes

It seems strange that three months elapsed from the Peris first Positive A sample and the further testing to doubly confirm the A sample. My guess is we are discussing a miniscule of doping products found in her urine which means there is a glimmer of hope for Peris when it goes to a hearing.

1 Like

apparently there is some concern that the test was not done properly & there has been no result on the B sample yet so it all could be just a false positive & they do happen which is why they have A & B samples …the point of the similarity is not the test it is the leaking of information to the media before the investigation has concluded which puts the athlete at a legal disadvantage when no one should know she is even under investigation yet …gee ASADA you lot stink to high heaven which surprises none of us really especially considering the corruption that is rampant in our parliament currently …why would our statutory bodies give a stuff about the rule of law when our politicians don’t ?

10 Likes

How the system is weighted against the athletes. They are accorded the right to A and B tests, apparently for scientific reasons. But if they test positive to the A sample, they are provisionally suspended.
In the case of Peris, that means she missed the Commonwealth Games trials in an event that is on a 4 year cycle - relevant to the delay in the B tests. If the IOC can do such quick turn arounds as at the latest Winter Games, why can’t ASADA and Athletics Australia.?
She is 27, probably her last chance of international competition.
There is also the issue of how ASADA can guarantee privacy after it informs the relevant sporting bodies, which, I understand, are not subject to the same privacy conditions.

7 Likes

Asada are required to ensure privacy. It’s in their act.
If they can’t ensure privacy they shouldn’t be providing information.
But no one cares.

10 Likes

The fault lies in the system. ASADA does not have the power to suspend athletes, it can only be done by the sporting bodies.

1 Like

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Cheese and CHEESE.

1 Like