Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

There were exceptions when we were getting caned in the MSM as well. No one hears it.

Either way, won’t be reading it. Bet he thinks he’s a dead-set journo hero though.

Wow - I don’t think I’ve ever heard you speak that way.

1 Like

Thought it would be an interesting insight into what our club captain thinks about Evans being in the rooms after the game.
There were posts early on in the saga that Winderlich and a few other players attended Evans birthday which was met with disgust.
Then the photos of Evans with Heppell and Goddard on a golf course last year which was met with some confusion.
We finally have a statement by our captain that didn’t play a straight bat and actually elaborated further that Evans is a mentor of his. It’s astounding that a player who has been through four years of crap would have such a vastly different opinion of Evans as we would (that includes me).

I couldn’t care less who attends the rooms after the game as long as the players are happy to have him around the club, it’s fine by me. If a player who’s been through this more intimately than I have can forgive Evans, welcome him to the club and even consider him a mentor, then maybe I can forgive him as well.

7 Likes

Haven’t before. Won’t start now.

4 Likes

Ok, so people here are prepared to take and judge a person by what they have read over a group of people who lived it?

That’s a bit AFL’y of you guys

3 Likes

Ooh that Jay Croucher, just hearing that name makes my blood boil.

Wait, who dafuq is Jay Croucher? And what dafuq is the Roar?

When there were ongoing moves to sack Sheedyin and some on the Board tried to cultivate disaffection among the players, , they stayed out of it. They also stayed out of the moves by Evans and others for Hird to stand down.
The players are sensible to stay clear of the power struggles in the club.
They are free to choose their friends; just as we are free to make judgments on people based on the evidence available to us.
What distresses me is the the people who bailed out when the going got tough and did not speak out at the scapegoating of Hird and co. There has not been public questioning of them. As a friend of Hird for twenty years, why has Evans never spoken up for him?

28 Likes

(some) People just want to hear what he has to say.
Paint it any way you like, but that’s not too much to ask.
And it’s not in the least bit AFLy.

15 Likes

I agree. I was referring to the people who already appeared to have sentenced him off hear say evidence

Just a rag that has afl news and reviews which I happened upon by accident when I was searching for something.

1 Like

Part of me wonders what Mr Demetriou has got to say now.

4 Likes

I’m just messing. I’ve heard of it, but never looked at it.

1 Like

The Australian is reporting that the AFL have finished their report into their actions during the saga investigation and distributed it to all 18 clubs.

Guess what? They acted appropriately. Who would have thought?!

6 Likes

Report eh?

1 Like

I guess our fundamental difference is that’s too simplistic a reason for me to change my mind that he messed up big.

1 Like

AFL internal review endorses handling of controversial Essendon supplements saga

AN internal review of how the AFL handled the Essendon supplements debacle endorses the league’s controversial joint ASADA investigation.

According to The Australian, the review also sets out guidelines for the AFL chief executive, chairman and commission in future investigations. The league apparently has distributed the much-anticipated review to the clubs. The joint AFL-ASADA investigation was one of the most contentious points in the long-running Essendon supplements saga.

Essendon and then-coach James Hird unsuccessfully challenged the legality of the joint investigation in the Federal Court.

Hird broke ranks with the club and launched an appeal, which also failed. There is a sense that the saga is finally over, with Essendon’s season-opening win over Hawthorn last Saturday night an emotional and symbolic milestone. That team featured six of the players who have returned from the doping bans that stemmed from the debacle.

On February 5 2013, Hird, chairman David Evans and chief executive Ian Robson were grim-faced as they announced the club was coming under the joint AFL-ASADA investigation.

In August that year, and as a direct result of interim investigation findings, the AFL hit Essendon with the heaviest penalties in the game’s history. Hird was banned for 12 months, the Bombers were kicked out of the finals, they were fined $2 million and lost draft picks.

Another controversial aspect of the saga was the role played by chief executive Andrew Demetriou.

The league’s current CEO Gillon McLachlan has said already that there are lessons to be learned from the saga.

The review recommends that in future investigations, the chief executive is to have no say in final sanctions.

The CEO is a commission member, but the review recommends that he or she should run the investigation.

The commission would not be involved in laying charges or the investigation, only to judge the final outcome.

The review will do little to appease fierce critics of how the AFL handled the Essendon crisis, the biggest scandal in Australian sporting history.

What a surprise…

8 Likes

lol.

3 Likes

For some regressive reason I was listening to SEN late after the game on Saturday - and legit heard the callers (whoever was on at midnight) deadest claim that Essendon would be everybody’s ‘second team’ now instead of the Bulldogs… legit lol.

probably not… we all gonna have to move on with the ambiguity of not really knowing.

2 Likes

Farking farce.

AFL - we did what we had to, so therefore we are happy with how we went about it. The ends justified the means.

Protected their own arses. Isolated EFC against the rest of league. Appeased the government. And destroyed Hird because the saga needed a face and … Bastion.

18 Likes