Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

APRIL 20 2017 - 12:41PM

Mark Thompson says the Essendon supplement scandal will probably end up killing him

Ronny Lerner

Former Essendon assistant and interim senior coach Mark Thompson says he cannot let go of the supplements scandal that engulfed the club for four years – and believes it will end up killing him.

A candid Thompson was a keynote speaker at a Law Institute of Victoria panel discussion about drugs in sport on Thursday morning.

He revealed the whole saga left him “bitter and twisted” and probably led to the breakdown of his marriage to his second wife Jana last year.

Thompson, who was fined $30,000 for his role in the biggest doping scandal the sport has ever seen, doesn’t like football any more and said he has no intention of ever being involved in the AFL system again.

Thirty-four past and present Essendon players were suspended for the entire 2016 season despite not providing a positive drug test and that is something Thompson struggles to grapple with.

“I find it amazing when the AFL says the integrity of the competition and the safety and welfare of the players are the two pillars that will be front of mind,” Thompson said.

"I know more of what happened than probably most people, I’ve read that much about what was going on – it’s incredible.

"And it just sits in my guts and churns and it still does and it’s going to probably end up killing me because I can’t let it go. People tell me I’ve got to let it go, but I can’t.

"I know what happened. I know that there were things that were added to the report, things were taken out of the report not to be seen.

"I’m quite bitter and twisted and I think I have got the right to be. I don’t like the game any more, I don’t want to work in the AFL system, I don’t want to associate with people. I’m sorry, but that’s the way it is.

"I’ve lost my love for it, which is a shame because I’m a ■■■■■■ good coach. It’s a shame they could do this to people. They’ve got no right to do this to people – you don’t not give people a chance to defend themselves, and that’s what they’ve done.

“I lost my wife because of it, I reckon, because I was up at night reading about all my exploits on the internet, catching up on tomorrow’s news as it came out.”

Thompson was “staggered” that the entire truth of what happened during the supplements scandal hasn’t been revealed yet and believes there are a lot of people trying to hide the truth.

The dual Geelong premiership coach admitted he was “embarrassed” that he didn’t do more during his time at Essendon to stop the experimental program, which he deemed to be unethical, but stressed it wasn’t his responsibility to do so.

Thompson said the architect of the program, disgraced sports scientist Stephen Dank, should never have been hired by Essendon in the first place.

“When we interviewed Dank for the position, there were a few people in the room who didn’t want him, and there were a couple who did and he ended up getting the job,” he said.

"He probably shouldn’t have got the job in the first place because he shouldn’t have been allowed to work at Essendon because he had actually been known to have WADA-prohibited substances used and bought on his patients in his clinics.

“The WADA rule says that anyone who has any dealings with that is not allowed to work in the sporting field – AFL included. So the fact that he worked for the AFL’s club Gold Coast a year before he came to Essendon is a problem in itself, isn’t it? If they had been diligent and stopped him from working there, I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have employed him.”

Thompson never understood why Essendon self-reported on that fateful February day in 2013 because the key figures in the football department were adamant no prohibited substances were given to their players.

The triple premiership Essendon player blamed former chairman David Evans for it and accused him of working to closely with the AFL instead of trying to protect the people at the club he represented.

It has long been alleged that former AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou tipped off Evans that the Bombers were in ASADA’s sights the night before Essendon self-reported.

“It’s very important to know (if the call took place) because what happened was they decided our fate, my fate, my career, my life – they decided that before one person had given any evidence,” he said.

"It got proved at a federal court that they had a meeting between the government, AFL, ASADA and Essendon and said, ‘Right, we’ll let players off’, which is crap. All right? Crap. They shouldn’t be making those statements.

"They said, ‘no club is going to get fined, we’ll just get a few heads to take the fall for us all’. That’s it. Before anyone was interviewed, before the investigation started. So Dave Evans was working with them unfortunately.

“There was no hearing, it was two days of just waste. (I was asked), ‘how much is the acceptance of guilt are you going to accept? Do you want to accept $40,000 worth of guilt? Or 30 or 20?’ I said, ‘none’. I said, ‘just give me a chance to defend myself. I want to talk to you, I want my solicitor to talk to you and try and get me off and say what my involvement in this whole program was’. There was none of that, we never got the chance.”

38 Likes

Would you mind posting the whole article GuzzLG, please. The less clicks they get the better.

(cannot and will not click on that link/paper, am sure some others feel the same).

edit. please disregard.

Thanks CyberBomber

Onya Bomber.

He just like Hird, the players and the fans deserve to have the truth come out.

And those truly responsible held to account.

28 Likes

I don’t believe they ever got that $30k fine from him either.

4 Likes

Obviously with Hirdy’s health issues of recent times, I hope people out there are looking out for Bomber. He is a premiership captain and one of the finest players to have pulled on the jumper.

13 Likes

Bomba was closest to it than Dyson Heppel and he hasn’t forgiven David Evans…

19 Likes

And the AFL had arranged for Simon Goodwin to move from Essendon to take over from Roos as Melbourne coach. Also no blame could be attached to Evans, Robson or Robinson, who brought Dank to the club.

15 Likes

I think Evans’ wallet has been forgiven.

What’s happening at ch 7 atm is pretty dirty and Evans is on the board.

1 Like

Natural Justice for team sanctions: Should the club be held accountable rather than the players?

APR 20, 2017 — In a research paper called ‘The Essendon Football Club Supplements Saga: Exploring Natural Justice for Team Sanctions within Anti Doping Regulations’, by Madeleine Farrar, Research Associate ANU College of Law, and Thomas Fraunce, Professor, College of Law and College of Medicine, Biology and the Environment ANU highlights the need to examine the ASADA Act and its implications for team sports.

This research paper is a clear-eyed technical analysis of this saga and a worthy read for all. A link has been provided.

Here is an extract:

"The EFC saga highlights flaws within the anti-doping regulatory system that ultimately deny athletes of natural justice, particularly those involved with a team sanction. Through the tactical WADA appeal of the AFL Tribunal’s decision to the CAS, a lower evidentiary burden was used to conclude that the 34 past and present EFC players had committed a doping violation. At no stage in the many manifestations of the regulatory process was sworn evidence tested in cross-examination produced from the person most responsible, Stephen Dank, that the players were ever injected with TB4. WADA, however, was able to convince the CAS through using the lesser evidentiary standard of “other reliable means,” that Essendon players (although having no proven intention to use banned substances) had used such substances.

The players were ultimately denied access to natural justice as WADA only needed to prove to the CAS that the facts made it very likely they had engaged in a supplements program contrary to the WADC. The fact that no player disclosed any supplements, legal or illegal, on mandatory disclosure forms was enough for the CAS to rule that it was likely a contravention had occurred. How can an athlete fulfil his or her responsibility to ensure that he or she is not taking substances prohibited by the WADC, when an athlete’s club denies access to records of supplements?

Natural justice and procedural fairness may be better achieved in team-based doping allegations if regulations primarily sanction the club in instances where it appears club administration was largely at fault. A possible sanction would be to ban players without recording a doping conviction, while ensuring the offending club continues to pay athletes’ salaries in their entirety. While banned players would be ineligible to compete, the club would be held accountable rather than the players, thereby reducing the impact on the individual player’s image and reputation. Another sanction would be to ban clubs from signing additional players, which would likely impair the club’s performance and be negatively received by supporters and corporate sponsors. Such sanctions have the potential to act as a successful deterrent to club-wide doping. Sanctions should allow athletes to still compete in lower grades of football during their ineligibility period, where it can be shown that the player did not consent to doping or had faith in club management.

The 34 banned players were unable to play any form of AFL during their suspensions, including lower grade AFL, which appears to be a drastic measure. The EFC doping saga began in February 2013 and concluded in October 2016. The average playing career of an AFL player is four years. Regulations need to be altered to ensure such cases are processed in a timelier way to reduce the detrimental effect a ban may have on a player’s career. The lessons of the EFC supplements case should be reflected in changes for team-based infractions in the AFL Code and ASADA and WADA procedures that give greater emphasis to natural justice protections".

A Senate Inquiry is needed.

Kindly support a Senate Inquiry into this whole sordid affair by adding your name/details this petition, and then ask others to support it.

If you have already supported the petition, take positive action by sending an email to the decision makers. It takes just one click or you can create your own email - go here to take postive action:

Social media sharing tips:

Use the main links (on the RHS of webpage) to share the original petition.

Use the links below this update to share this update.

For further information, contact Justice of the 34 via their Facebook page.

Thank you for your support and patience.

5 Likes

Bomba needs to take the AFL to court. Get people like Evans, Robson, Hamilton, Weapon, Lukin & AD/Gil/Fitzy on the stand.

AFL struck a deal when they shouldn’t have been even attempting to do so to get players off by taking down support staff. They did so regardless of the support staffs legal responsibilities or evidence of any guilt. That’s where it starts.

Whats more they deliberately scapegoated EFC as part of that deal and ensured other clubs avoided scrutiny. Even those with clear evidence of guilt.

Bomba was denied natural justice, resulting in significant mental anguish, a marriage breakdown, reputational damage and financial loss.

Only way for the truth to come out and for him to get the peace he seeks. And others seek also.

It’s time for someone to get this out in open.

28 Likes

Which channel hosted that parody of an interview with the rodeo clown, again?

2 Likes

Not that easy to fight the big end of town.
‘Natural Justice’ is largely a myth.

2 Likes

Does Bomba still appear on AFL 360.

And; what are the always and ever caring EFC doing for Bomba and his care???

He is NOT the only one who can’t let it go either but the majority continue to stick their heads in the sand.

13 Likes

The triple premiership Essendon player blamed former chairman David Evans for it and accused him of working to closely with the AFL instead of trying to protect the people at the club he represented.

Yet some here are still defending Evans. That right there sums up exactly why Evans should never ever have been let anywhere near the club again. Unfortunately because Evans had the support of some board members who are still there, the effort to whitewash his treason will continue.

33 Likes

Another example of AFL double standards Melksham gets a $10k find for misleading a betting inquiry ( no wrongdoing) but the AFL can continue to lie and mislead and continue to oppose match day gambling restrictions. It is about time that cashed up not for profit bodies get some ethical oversight in circumstances where they are not exposed to shareholder scrutiny and can disregard the supporter base.

7 Likes

gambling the corruption enabler

4 Likes

Exactly…

1 Like

Yep Galbally said throughout that you can’t fight City Hall

1 Like