Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Sacked Dank from their own club because he was suss,… and /or dodgy.

Then signed off on him being employed by us.

He should have never gotten through our door. Why did they approve the signing and let him?

2 Likes

Give him a mil for every punch that landed on a carr brother.

2 Likes

Did I miss something what actually happened in court? Only thing I could find here was something to do with security? What does that even mean?

Security for costs.

The losing party has to pay the legal costs of the winning party in most cases.

AFL lawyers seeking an order making Jackson Taylor put up some form of security (money, charge over property, etc) so that if he loses the AFL can more easily recover their costs instead of simply suing him for the money and potentially getting nothing if he ends up bankrupt.

1 Like

AKA “classic behemoth tactic when they have something to hide and want to strangle the opposition’s ability to expose it”.

3 Likes

In other words, the legal mechanism by which the substantially wealthier or resource-rich party has a distinct advantage.

4 Likes

Thanks mate, understand that part of it now. So for it to get to this stage the judge must actually think he has a case?

Don’t think that’s relevant at this stage. This isn’t based on the strength or weakness of the case but moreso on the risk that he won’t have the money to pay the defendants if he ends up losing. It’s ultimately the judge’s discretion whether to grant the order or not as it’s not simply an exercise of estimating the potential costs he’s up for and comparing it to his financial position.

If the judge does grant the order then the case can’t proceed until he puts up the security.

Otherwise the case just continues as per the usual procedure.

In terms of whether the court thinks he has a case or not. The other party can apply for a summary judgment, and end the case early, on the basis that his claim has no real prospect of success. But the judge won’t make that decision unless he’s asked and that hasn’t happened here so the fact that the case has got to this stage doesn’t really indicate whether the judge thinks he has a case or not.

2 Likes

I don’t agree that Bruce has no idea what he is talking about… He has a very good understanding of what he is talking about.
A lot of people don’t agree with his methods, his language, his repetition, but that does not in any way mean he is incorrect in what he is saying.

To suggest he doesn’t make sense to "any one with brains’, really puts you in a very poor light.

30 Likes

Haven’t read every post but has anybody else noted this story came out the day after Jackson Taylor was in court?

4 Likes

I think you will find Bruce’s logic stands up to as much logic as the CAS verdict did.

And I am not even a fan of Bruce. However the CAS verdict had so many holes in it, and has been roundly pulled apart on this site on a number of occasions by a number of people.
If you seriously think that most of the people on this site haven’t read Natalie Hickey’s blog and every other thing written about this case over the past four years, (both that is available in the public domain and some that isn’t) then you are starting from a very long way back.
There would be very few people regularly on this site who are not well across all the arguments, all the documentation and all the information available.

5 Likes

Yep, sure has happens far to often to be another coincidence.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I don’t believe in coincidence.

1 Like

I support NLM as much as the others.

3 Likes

Hi Helen,
Can I just say that no vaccinations would cause symptoms like this in more than one case in a million. Doctors do know what are included in vaccines and do know what side effects to look for.

Yes I know GPs look to fob off (and for that you can blame the Tories with the extra pressure they have been putting on them for decades now).

But please do not conflate these issues.

The clear blame here lies at ASADA for telling LIES to the players that what they received would deform babies. Then when a player had a baby with problems, of course he made a connection.

It is ASADA that should be held to account here.

Again, there is no way that anything likely to have been given to those players could be teratogenic.

10 Likes

If he is still on the march, he could not only give Michael Long clues about the Long Walk but could give the CCP advice about how to really do a long march.

Is Andrew Dillion negotiating these player agreements?

1 Like

Yes, and we would all want this whether he was part of a supplements program or not.

IIRC, the Federal Court established that the AFL is a joint employer of the players through the AFL contract system.

5 Likes

ESSENDON players grilled by investigators in 2013 were warned they had been injected with drugs that could harm their unborn babies.

Bombers officials lodged a formal complaint at the time, labelling the claims as “scaremongering”.

But a leading reproductive toxicologist said today the claim, although unlikely, could not be discounted.

“There is a possibility, but I don’t know if you could ever demonstrate it,” University of Newcastle Faculty of Science senior lecturer Dr Shaun Roman said.

“Was there a drug in there that does nasty things then that would need to accumulate? There is no way of knowing.”

The family alleges Harmony Lovett-Murray, 3, is suffering from a mystery chest growth and behavioural problems.

She was conceived about a year after the injections program stopped.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said today the league would offer support to Lovett-Murray and his family.

“We’ve been talking to his management and I think the right area of focus … is to make sure that Nathan’s little child is OK and that’s the priority,” McLachlan told 3AW.

McLachlan said not knowing what the players were administered “has always been one of the most challenging aspects of this”.

Lovett-Murray’s manager, Peter Jess, said he had been contacted by AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon early today.

“I received a phone call from Andrew Dillon confirming he will be calling a meeting to resolve this issue as a priority,” Jess said.

The Bombers revealed on Thursday night 31 of the 34 compensation claims lodged against the club over the supplements saga had been settled.

Lovett-Murray’s legal team is preparing a $1 million Supreme Court damages claim if a fair settlement cannot be reached.

The writ alleges the saga has caused him severe stress, anxiety and depression.

He is claiming he experienced pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and financial loss as a result of negligence, a breach of statutory duty, and misleading and deceptive conduct.

The 145-game defender also believes his standing in the indigenous community has been permanently damaged by being labelled a “drug cheat”.

St Kilda defender and former Bomber Jake Carlisle is also yet to agree to terms with the club.

Port Adelaide ruckman Paddy Ryder, who quit Essendon because of the supplements scandal after the 2014 AFL season, has previously spoken of ASADA’s warnings about the health of his young son Harlan, conceived at the time of the injection program.

“We were told that we could have serious complications for our child,” Ryder told the Herald Sun.

“It just put so much stress on my partner and my family. It’s something that we couldn’t hide from.”

Bomber chief executive Xaxier Campbell yesterday defended the club’s handling of negotiations with Lovett-Murray.

“Yes, every individual has unique circumstances, but on the advice we’ve been given, we know where we want to be and we think that’s a fair amount (their latest offer),” Campbell said.

“We’ll continue to work like that.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/expert-cant-rule-out-possibility-drugs-used-in-essendon-supplement-saga-could-affect-unborn-babies/news-story/598db85a7d1c760c1df8874a678affeb

Took a front page article for them to call. Hmmm

2 Likes