Sorry Saga - Why do we fight?

I understand your frustration. Like I posted above, former senior officials of WADA, Ljungqvist and Niggli have both openly admitted that they do not disclose or provide the rationale for inclusion of a substance on the Prohibited list. “We could place anything on the Prohibited List”

That other bastion of integrity, ex WADA Executive, David Howman stated the same, in a roundabout way at the SIA Conference in Canberra, only to latter distance himself from that comment under questioning by Tracey Holmes. He had then been appointed as Chief Integrity Officer for the International Athletics Association.

There are many examples of substances/drugs that have a proven positive impact on athletes in any sport. Creatine is a well publicised and proven substance for gains in muscle mass.

We had the use of Pentasan Polysulphate by AFL players looking to recover from significant injuries, such as ACls. PPS was not registered for this use but doctors at Carlton and Collingwood were using it under the Special Assistance Scheme. Both these doctors were found to be supporting the registration of the substance for this use through a company they were directors of and were financing the clinical trials. Just Google Paradigm Biopharmaceuticals and you’ll even notice the comments from Gil.

The Spirit of Sport is whatever WADA say it is. I reckon it is just a “Vibe”

7 Likes

Yep, both are corrupt to the core.

As bad as the AFL behaved in the saga I don’t believe they wanted the team to be part of the punishment (bad as it was for the Club, Jim, Bomber and Danny). The AFL had their scapegoats cornered.

The AFLADT composed of eminent legals found the players not guilty. But McDevitt’s Appeal and US$100,000 plus legal support was a tasty carrot for WADA. This was especially important to WADA because the USADA had openly rejected prosecutions/suspension of Olympics athletes from their 3 primary sports, namely Ice Hockey, Baseball and Basketball. Also WADA would baulk at taking on Tygert and USADA because the U.S. contribute over a half of WADA’s annual budget. Follow the money.

3 Likes

Today is the anniversary of the tip off call to Hirdy.

3 Likes

Really hope Hirdy is doing well.

17 Likes

Essendon supplements scandal chemist Nima Alavi hit with drug charges before recent death

A key player in the Essendon supplements scandal was facing a mammoth string of criminal charges— then he died.

Stephen Drill

February 09, 2024 7:29 pm

A key player in the Essendon supplements scandal was hit with more than 2000 criminal charges related to drug possession.

Compounding chemist Nima Alavi was facing charges brought by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

But the 2213 charges were withdrawn after Alavi was found dead in his Armadale home in December.

Alavi, 44, has been investigated by AHPRA over accusations he was illegally supplying prescription drug oxycodone.

He died on December 19 last year but his body was only discovered three days later.

Alavi’s death was not treated as suspicious.

The South Yarra pharmacist was at the centre of the Essendon saga, which resulted in season long bans for 34 Bombers players in 2016.

He was accused of being the chemist who made the substances after receiving shipments of raw materials from Shane Charter, known for his Dr Ageless.

The details of the charges against Alavi have only been revealed after the Herald Sun fought a suppression order in the case.

Melbourne Magistrates Court heard an application from Mr Alavi’s family on Friday.

They were seeking to suppress the case to protect the psychological safety of his family.

Their barrister Muniz Saavedra also objected to the release of the charges because it could reduce the sale price for Alavi’s pharmacy in the Como Centre.

Isabelle Gwinner, appearing for the Herald and Weekly Times, challenged the suppression order based on the principle of “open justice”.

Ms Gwinner argued that the broad suppression order being sought was invalid.

Magistrate Tim Bourke challenged Mr Saavedra to provide evidence of the psychological harm that publication of the charges may cause.

“What evidence do I have?”, Mr Bourke asked.

Magistrate Bourke requested that a written report be provided by a psychologist within two weeks.

Mr Saveedra sought a short recess before returning to court to withdraw the application.

Alavi became a household name at the height of the Bombers scandal.

He had been engaged by Stephen Dank, who was in charge of Essendon’s program, to provide supplements.

There was debate about exactly what was included in the supplements injected into the Essendon players.

Alavi was interviewed in 2014 where denied signing a letter identifying the compounds given to the Bombers.

“The letter said something along the lines of ‘Thymomodulin has been compounded and it is not banned by WADA’,” Alavi told the ABC at the time.

“And then had my name at the bottom. And my signature on the letter.”

He said he had refused to sign the letter “because I didn’t know whether it was Thymomodulin [or] Thymosin Beta 4.”

Alavi’s family now live in Queensland.

Breaking Badness

True Crime Australia

Wait… he’s dead?

Here come the dominoes. Pretty soon Dank’s gonna be found in a ditch.

I was told this article was to be found in today’s HS. But the shop had run out when I got there so thanks for the post.

Alavi was a crook and any evidence provided by him in the Essendon is tainted. He was importing and selling substances like GHRP6, GHRP 2, Mechano Growth Factors, Hexarellin, CJC 1295 and TB4 from prescriptions provided from doctors listed on his webpage. His promotional video, which first appeared on FB in 2012, contained a section where all the above substances were seen rotating on an accumulation table. The TB4 has an orange plastic cap. I just checked the webpage and that video has been removed. I have a copy and have posted it here maybe a couple of times.

One of Alavi’s many clients was disgraced anti-aging doctor Robin Wilcourt who ran the Epigenx Integrated Medical Centre also located in the COMO Complex. He now lives and works in Nevada, U.S. and been in trouble there.

The only “compounding” process per se was the addition of sterile water or saline to the vial containing the plug of freeze dried powder. Once dissolved the solution has a 24 hour expiry.

A big loss to his family and probably all those belonging to the “vanity brigade” who relied on his substances.

2 Likes

The case against the players was based on guilt by association. Dank & Alavi are dodgy so they must’ve done something dodgy at Essendon.

The case against Hirdy was based on the captain of the ship argument. That’s just how it works in this industry (Fitzpatrick, 2015?). Ignoring that Hirdy was in charge of a different department.

So many peoples’ lives ruined by insubstantial innuendo.

20 Likes

well said, stir fried

Grrrr. Never forget, never forgive.

16 Likes

wtf

I dunno if this “What If” piece has been posted.
It’s dated 28th September 2023.

I often wonder what if Jay Neagle didn’t play on against Geelong.

2 Likes