Space

It was ok, not great. I thought some of the dialogue clunky and overdone. But I’m not sure it really explored the laws of thermodynamics enough to justify either it’s name, nor its presence in this thread.

9 Likes

The scene where Pacino and De Niro finally meet and, while discussing what an obsession with building their respective shuttle systems has done to their lives and relationships, realise they are the same and that what will come next is inevitable is a classic cinema moment.

4 Likes

True, and it’s gold standard advice - if you can’t drop your space shuttle program and walk away immediately, with no regrets, no hesitation and no looking back, then you’re probably finished.

4 Likes

Double Click to Enlarge

4 Likes
5 Likes

5 Likes

And, 100,000,000,000 stars in the Milky Way alone. FMD that is so hard to comprehend just how microscopic we are

1 Like
4 Likes

This is still blowing my mind

We’re 1 out of 8 billion people on one planet, revolving around 1 star, in a galaxy with 100,000,000,000 stars in a universe with 100,000,000,000’s of galaxies.

That is fugging insane.

I feel like I need some weed to help me through this lol

4 Likes

It’s worse than that.
This is only the observable universe, which is galaxies the speed of light allows us to see from Earth since the Big Bang.
Space.com has an article that estimates the actual universe is at least 250 times larger than the observable universe.
So…something like a one cent piece compared to one and a half Peter Wrights (if he was circular).
I’m sure that handy reference helps.

4 Likes

It’s kind of reassuring that I haven’t done much with my life. Like on the grand scale of the universe, I’m pretty much equal to Einstein, Ghandi et al

7 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Excellent

Saw this much overlooked piece of memorabilia at the Small Worlds Tokyo exhibit.

4 Likes

The second prequel to Rocky

1 Like
2 Likes

Disclaimer - “On the Brink” actually refers to at least 10,000 years and probably far far longer given they won’t be closing at light speed. So…yeah…I guess in a cosmos sense they’re pretty close but …well…humanity probably never sees it happen, lol.

2 Likes

But will it happen before Essendon wins a final?

[Spoiler alert: it has already happened, we just haven’t seen it yet]